April 16, 2024, 03:56:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FXR Question for Turboprop

Started by JW113, June 17, 2020, 09:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Quote from: Deye76 on June 20, 2020, 07:04:59 AM
If one needs to clean a TC oil pan, the motor should be coming out for new rod bearings, anyway, IMHO.

I answered this part of your statement separately because it's wrong.............very wrong.
My 2002 road king back in late 2003 got a cracked oil pan due to road debris.
Now look at a modified oil pan and look how low it sits at the back to get volume.
It's a disaster waiting to happen IMHO

Scotty

Quote from: turboprop on June 20, 2020, 08:52:01 AM
Quote from: JW113 on June 20, 2020, 08:18:13 AM
Dumm question from a dummass that don't know nuthin'. Can a dummass just not use the oil pan under the trans and plumb the stock FXR oil tank to the TC motor?

-JW

Yes.

Another partial one word answer that is not totally correct.
Up to 2006 not an issue and only minor mods.
2007+ major mods required.
See not everyone is going to use a 99-00 transmission and a 06 down motor so a one word answer will not suffice.

Deye76

June 20, 2020, 05:20:09 PM #27 Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 05:26:20 PM by Deye76
"t's a disaster waiting to happen IMHO"
BS
On HTT for 16 years and you're the only one who claims a "cracked" oil pan. I've been running bottom oil pans since they came out in 1993, probably over 350,000 miles.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

chipthedonkey

Everything about this thread so far has been interesting, made me curious, and taught me some too.  Then....  I got too curious.  With no intention other than to satisfy the curiosity looked up the price the two shops mentioned were getting for the conversion oil pans.   

It there were emojis here that were a cross in a manure pile to signal "HOLY CRAP" I'd have used it!  Those are expensive oil pans!!

JW113

So do you think this is real? Maybe a typo?

[attach=0]

Seems too good to be true.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Scotty

Time to get this thread back on track.
OP asked a question in public if he had only wanted one person to answer he would have sent a PM.
My original reply only talked about other options and that is all, I have never questioned Turboprops expertise or his skill, however even he has to admit that there is more than one way. I can understand if he is going to help you then doing it his way saves him any issues that crop up and it is other than the oil pan and a bit of grinding on one footpeg mount a painless way to do it. So let's look at the options so that you can choose what suits your budget or level of expertise.
I can do mechanical, wiring and tuning but I am no machinist and so that was not an option for us but I do have access to 2 expert metal fabricators, one who shares my DNA with his mom and one who has been a mate for over 40 years so we went the modify the frame method because it was for us clearly the best choice.
When I started looking into this back in mid 2015 the modded oil pans were not even available I believe but that changed sometime in 2016 from memory an we looked at them but they were $850US back then and now one of them is $1750US so wow on inflation.

These options all relate to 1999-2006 TC motors the 2007+ motors are similar options but that would require another long post.
Be aware that running a 2002-2008 swingarm is going to require use of a 1" bearing wheel and that era brake so also look at this cost and what tranny you are going to run.

Option 1 - leave the bike stock - the EVO motor and 5 speed gearbox are easy to work on and run well enough. Some people don't even realise this in an option.

Option 2 - get a Vulcan Engineering adapter plate and just plonk a 2006 down twin cam motor in and use the EVO transmission. Easy and other than a few wiring mods (ignition etc) and a bit of grinding a cheap way to do it. https://secure.vulcanworks.net/store/Twin-Cam-88-Motor-Adapter-Plate-for-FXR-and-EVO-Dressers.html

Option 3- put a blanking plate on a twin cam transmission and run the original FXR oil tank. http://www.gigacyclegarage.com/oil-pan-and-filler-spout-block-off-plate-for-twincam-installation-into-fxr-frames/

Option 4 - get a metal fabricator to make a couple of new braces and  modify your frame. You can even buy a kit to do it but make sure you have a good welder  https://www.fxrdivision.com/twin-cam-fxr-parts/fxr-twin-cam-conversion-kit
You can even buy a modded 2002 -2008 swingarm that has been modded to run standard FXR shocks so you don't have to order special length. https://www.fxrdivision.com/twin-cam-fxr-parts/fxr-twin-cam-swing-arm

Option 5 - Buy a modded oil pan from one of the vendors and leave the frame as is. If you use a 99-00 bagger tranny the FXR inner and out will bolt up no problems. However if you want to run the 2002-2008 swingarm then you need to buy a kit or machine the tranny for the bigger pivot shaft.

Option 6 - As above but using a 2002-2006 transmission which then doesn't need modding for the swingarm but means you have to machine the inner for mid controls (not hard to do) and also machine off the bagger shifter shaft from the front of the inner primary of just leave it if it does not bother you.

That is just a basic run down on how to do things. Was it easy to do? Yes and no and I still prefer option 1 myself but that is me. I have nothing against anyone that wants to do it and I have no feelings about cutting the braces and changing them on the frame. Damn bikers have been modding stuff on HD's since 1903 so why all the belly aching now about modding a couple of braces?

That ends my participation in this thread as I have better things to do like finish rebuilding a FXR 5 speed that is on my bench and fix the wiring on a old skool Honda 750/4

hbkeith

Quote from: JW113 on June 21, 2020, 02:13:54 PM

[attach=0,msg1352036]

-JW
probally a scam , usually they want you to email them at so and so @ gmail , call the number i bet it goes to a message service

Hossamania

Quote from: JW113 on June 21, 2020, 02:13:54 PM

[attach=0,msg1352036]

-JW

It's real, they are in the military, the price is so low as they are shipping out and just want a quick sale, the bike is in a crate ready to ship, no you can't see it because of this, send the money, the bike will be shipped when received.
Go for it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.