March 28, 2024, 07:41:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

six speed noise

Started by hogmandon, June 17, 2020, 12:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogmandon

I have an 06 RG that I put a 6 speed cruise drive in. When new it was nice and quiet. As it got older it started to get noisy in 4th and 6th. When the air temperature is in the 60s it is still quiet but when in the high 80s it is noisy I wasn't going to mess with it but I snapped a belt and now only a few bolts away from taking out the gear set. It has 40,000m on it. Des it have a known week point to look at. Started to worry about being on the interstate at 80 and it throwing a bearing and locking up.
Also the belt was put in the same time it was a Falcon I think it was from Drag I was told it was a strong belt. No signs of rocks or cuts but it looked dried out and only 3 1/2 yr old 
Thanks for any help

koko3052

Since you are that close, pull it & inspect & rebearing. As for belts, I don't use any others than HD, just too much work to replace & they've been good for me.

RTMike

Pull it out and rehearing it including the main drive gear,clutch and inner primary bearings.Then fill it with RedLine Heavy Shock

calgary56

June 18, 2020, 11:54:46 AM #3 Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 01:29:53 PM by calgary56
Don't know about 6 speed gears, but I'm still running my stock Harley 5 speed gear-set at 380,000 miles, .... needed a new transmission case a couple years ago, when the mechanic pulled the gears out, he said they looked excellent, so new bearings and seals with the original gear-set and no issues.

As for belts, dealership broke mine on a test ride, it had 16,000 miles on it (they replaced in under warranty).

I've only changed belts when major work had to be done, NOT because they were broken (if it's apart, why not), belts replaced during opportunistic maintenance at 24,000 miles, 26,000 miles, 45,500 miles, 46,500 miles, 114,500 miles, and my current belt has 67,000 miles on it. Mind you, I'm just throwing around a Wide Glide not a big ass Road Toad.

NOTE: if you read this post earlier and it said 182,000 miles on current belt, my math was wrong !!
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

hogmandon

My first belt was a and I changed it at 113,000. I was putting in the 6 speed so I was there any way. I am now going with S&S extra strength. Didn't know if the HD would handle the extra power. When swing arm and wheel is back on tranny will come out and get all new bearings. Just wondered if there were problem roller bearings in there like the cam bearings. I have been using Red Line heavy duty. it is the only oil that made it some what quiet. I just drained it and no metal on the magnet.

calgary56

Quote from: hogmandon on June 18, 2020, 03:26:42 PM
My first belt was a and I changed it at 113,000. I was putting in the 6 speed so I was there any way. I am now going with S&S extra strength. Didn't know if the HD would handle the extra power. When swing arm and wheel is back on tranny will come out and get all new bearings. Just wondered if there were problem roller bearings in there like the cam bearings. I have been using Red Line heavy duty. it is the only oil that made it some what quiet. I just drained it and no metal on the magnet.

I run Red Line Heavy Duty in my trans as well, ... but I didn't know S&S made belts, I'll have to keep that in mind for the future, I've got an S&S 111" in the Wide Glide now.
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

hogmandon

Belt is S&S/Gates High Strength. 107 all bore really nice motor

hogmandon

June 26, 2020, 05:30:31 AM #7 Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:11:08 AM by hogmandon
Finally got time to take it all apart. All bearings are bad, loose fit ball to race. Before I pulled out main shaft it had lots of movement I could move it all around. Bearings are from Korea and have less than 23,000m original 5 speed bearings were from Canada and after 133,000m they are still tight and smooth and I had that down the drag strip at least a dozen times. I will not be using bearings from HD again. Its a shame these are really beautiful bikes put together with inferior bearings. How much can the been counters save $100 a bike makes no sense to me. I am sure they figure these bikes will only be used 2,000m a yr on average so they are safe from warranty. A lot of us really ride these bikes. I hope I am one of the few that has this problem it is a lot of work and $ to fix

klammer76

What 6 speed did you use? I looked at your original post and see that you have a 2006 RG that you said you put a cruise drive in. I didn't think the later 2007 up cruise drives would work with the 2006 down bikes?

hogmandon

June 26, 2020, 06:07:47 AM #9 Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:17:06 AM by hogmandon
I put it in the bike early 2018 it is in the SE book Part #33102-03A.

calif phil

That is not a Cruisedrive trans.   It's a Screamin Eagle which I think is put together by Jim's with offshore parts. :idunno:

les

You'll know if it's an SE when installing because you need to dremmel out a section of the tranny casing.  It's a one-way no going back modification.

chipthedonkey

I've installed five (maybe six?) of the SE six speed kits in mine or friend's bikes.  Haven't done one for a long time.  Of those five or six two failed though.  Catastrophically.  Totally shelled before they were caught. 

One that didn't fail is in my old Road Glide.  A lot of miles and years on it so far (knock on wood).  But after two died out of only five or six installed over then just a few years I stopped using them.

hogmandon

I had to modify the case so it is an SE which I thought was made by HD. Always thought SE was an upgrade part. I guess it is good I took it apart now before something really bad happened. Overall I really like the tranny's gearing and it shifts nice. So who's bearings are in the new bikes.

chipthedonkey

Quote from: hogmandon on June 26, 2020, 10:34:30 AM
I had to modify the case so it is an SE which I thought was made by HD. Always thought SE was an upgrade part. I guess it is good I took it apart now before something really bad happened. Overall I really like the tranny's gearing and it shifts nice. So who's bearings are in the new bikes.

There was a time, a long time ago and far far away, when we just assumed that because "it" came from Mother Harley and bore her name that it was good.  The Empire started striking back at that idea about 15 years ago for me.

hogmandon

My first HD was a 1952K then a few iron heads. They were tough motorcycles and pretty quick when hopped up. These are way better then those if you leave them alone and just do pipes and AC. I haven't been able to stop there always need more. It is a sickness.
   Another question about the 6 speed, are the gears made here or do I need to try to baby them. Every thing in there looks pretty stout.
If Jims made this with off shore parts what is in their 120"  motors. Start to question every thing

chipthedonkey

Quote from: hogmandon on June 26, 2020, 12:01:52 PM
My first HD was a 1952K then a few iron heads. They were tough motorcycles and pretty quick when hopped up. These are way better then those if you leave them alone and just do pipes and AC. I haven't been able to stop there always need more. It is a sickness.
   Another question about the 6 speed, are the gears made here or do I need to try to baby them. Every thing in there looks pretty stout.
If Jims made this with off shore parts what is in their 120"  motors. Start to question every thing

I wouldn't buy the Jim's crap if it came with 72 virgins in the afterlife.

hogmandon

and no guarantee they would be female

calif phil

I wouldn't buy the Jim's crap if it came with 72 virgins in the afterlife.
[/quote]

Jim's tools are good. But drivetrain parts and customer service are  :turd:

chipthedonkey

Quote from: calif phil on June 26, 2020, 01:59:27 PM

Jim's tools are good. But drivetrain parts and customer service are  :turd:

Yes, agreed.  They're also (usually) incredibly pricey though.  And since I despise the company for its customer service on the drivetrain side I won't patronize them for their tools.  Especially when it's stuff I just don't use often out that George's or others will do just fine for me.

klammer76

Quote from: hogmandon on June 26, 2020, 06:07:47 AM
I also have a SE in my 2002 FLHT. I gothe the complete tranny) as I git a deal on it. Last Sept I developed a leak from the quad seal. When I got it apart, the pulley was loose even though it had a super nut on it and it was intact. I turned the nut off with fingers after removing the allen bolts. I was at the max .003 runout on my dial indicator on the mainshaft. Splines were good as only 16,000 miles and I caught it. Put it back together with new seals, nut etc. Never could determine what happened.works well so far but have only put 800 miles on. Love the transmission but am holding my breath now. Your experience doesn't help. Hope you get it back together.

les

Quote from: klammer76 on June 26, 2020, 02:40:18 PM
I also have a SE in my 2002 FLHT. I gothe the complete tranny) as I git a deal on it. Last Sept I developed a leak from the quad seal. When I got it apart, the pulley was loose even though it had a super nut on it and it was intact. I turned the nut off with fingers after removing the allen bolts. I was at the max .003 runout on my dial indicator on the mainshaft. Splines were good as only 16,000 miles and I caught it. Put it back together with new seals, nut etc. Never could determine what happened.works well so far but have only put 800 miles on. Love the transmission but am holding my breath now. Your experience doesn't help. Hope you get it back together.

So, the complete tranny came with the pulley installed too?

fbn ent

I have the same transmission -03 suffix SE on my '02 RG. Bought new in the box off e-bay for a good price. Old stock you know. It came with the pulley installed. * Note to self....When installing a transmission that came with the pulley on it, check nut to be sure it is torqued properly before installing the belt and buttoning up.  :banghead:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

klammer76

Quote from: les on June 26, 2020, 05:36:11 PM
Quote from: klammer76 on June 26, 2020, 02:40:18 PM

So, the complete tranny came with the pulley installed too?
Yes

klammer76

Quote from: fbn ent on June 26, 2020, 06:21:47 PM
I have the same transmission -03 suffix SE on my '02 RG. Bought new in the box off e-bay for a good price. Old stock you know. It came with the pulley installed. * Note to self....When installing a transmission that came with the pulley on it, check nut to be sure it is torqued properly before installing the belt and buttoning up.  :banghead:
Same here. Just don't understand why it went 16,000 miles. Must have been tight but not to spec. No sign of loc-tite either. It has it now, threads and backside of new 3 guyz mega nut (thanks for the heads up les).