March 28, 2024, 05:46:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Observations Ultima 113"

Started by Deye76, June 18, 2020, 06:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

Some long winded observations on Ultima, only the 113". Ever since I got the motor, it was extremely hard to get it to idle good, get decent gas mileage, and if it was correct AFR in the Interm. jet then it went lean up top, and vice versa for the main jet. Whenever riding I could always smell fuel no matter how it was jetted or adjusted, even after a dyno tune. Yeah I know people don't like S&S carbs, and I'm not a tuner by any stretch, but have run them for years. I was told the R1 was the problem, so got a brand new S&S G, a little better, but not much. So after the 113" motor ate a lifter and took out the cam, I replaced the Ultima cam with a S&S .600 as I had experience with it in a 100" Evo years ago. What a difference 5 deg of Intake close, and overlap makes. Immediately I got the motor to idle smooth, low end torque waaay better, and fuel mileage jumped 10mpg to the good. That Ultima cam is probably good in the Ultima 120" motors, but I think it's too much for the 113's.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Sounds like you are getting that engine sorted out.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

ecir50

now she is ready for some head work.

JW113

Excessive intake timing means intake regurgitation, meaning it's pushing air out the carb, then pulling it back in, essentially "double carburating" the intake charge. At least until the RPMs get way up. Have had the same issue, and why you smell gas, it's coming out the air cleaner...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

capn

I agree with Deye.That 264 ultima cam does not run well at lower rpms.Even in the 120.Happen to have a 600 S&S on hand but I never tried it.Maybe I will.

Deye76

"you smell gas, it's coming out the air cleaner..."

I know that, with the .600's smaller overlap, it reduces the unburned fuel and leads to more complete combustion of the fuel. That 264 Ultima cam sounds nasty, like a hot rod, but a street bike doesn't spend the majority of it's time at 4 grand, unless you run around in 2nd gear all day long. LOL
I'd wager the S&S .585 evo cam would work good too, especially in a heavier bike. I had my FXR weighed yesterday at a state certified scale, 672 pounds, bags, P fairing and a full tank of gas.   
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

hbkeith

my 113 in my FXR has a stock Ultima cam and a Mikuni , it dosent like going slow either , but man be carefull twisting the throttle in first gear  :bike: , i like to wait till im in second then clutch it and smoke the tire past my buddies