April 24, 2024, 08:36:46 PM

News:

Relocating Ultra Classic Turn Signals

Started by Propflux01, June 18, 2020, 07:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propflux01

2009 Ultra Classic. Removed the turn signal bar, and relocated the turn signals to the saddlebags. What is a good thing to fill the two holes left in the fender (sans welding, repainting, etc.) where the bar used to be?
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

Hossamania

It depends on how fancy you want to get, but you could pick up a couple plastic plugs from the hardware store. You could paint them to color match, or at least get close.
A couple of round head bolts, check your clearance.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Propflux01

That's the kinda fix I'm looking for. Just wondering if anyone else has had up this dilemma, and what they used. Not interested in a license plate relocation.

kd

Acorn nuts and rubber washers to protect the paint and prevent distortion when snugging down.  Easy Peasy.
KD

les

Quote from: kd on June 19, 2020, 05:30:28 AM
Acorn nuts and rubber washers to protect the paint and prevent distortion when snugging down.  Easy Peasy.

I'm kind of interested, could you please post a photo of your work?  Thanks.

kd

Quote from: les on June 19, 2020, 06:01:55 AM
Quote from: kd on June 19, 2020, 05:30:28 AM

I'm kind of interested, could you please post a photo of your work?  Thanks.

Les, I didn't intend to give the impression that I had actually done this to a rear fender like the OP is doing.  I have done it at other times though. 

Consider a stubby bolt inserted from below with a flat washer and rubber washer (similar to what is used on lower fairings to engine guard) protecting the contact to the fender.  An acorn nut (much cleaner than a lock nut or lock washers) also using a chrome washer and a protective rubber washer on the painted surface.  The divot in the fender where the bar was mounted will not likely allow the use of a full size fender washer but finding a plated washer with as much area that will fit would be my choice.  Replacing it with chrome later if not immediately available.  The rubber washer will also double as a seal to prevent road spray from getting through and running down the paint. 
KD

Propflux01

That sounds like a good idea. Any particular place you picked up these items? Like Lowe's or something?

Hossamania

June 19, 2020, 10:32:54 AM #7 Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:41:06 AM by Hossamania
Any good hardware store will have different types of bolts, nuts, plugs, fasteners. Head to that section and do some browsing. Hardware store sell pieces, big box stores sell bulk, usually. A good hardware store employee will take some time with you and work on solutions once you describe your project. Bring pictures of your fender and holes, with measurements.
All of the following are available as individual pieces at a hardware store.

Plastic plugs. Many other styles available.
https://www.widgetco.com/hole-plugs?gclid=CjwKCAjwxLH3BRApEiwAqX9ardRjuBq_SDkOMorspvY9S9L2lreY1mG_uNhu2rGNxaPexbyVkP-3VxoCl54QAvD_BwE

Acorn nuts, chrome, stainless, nickel, zinc
https://images.app.goo.gl/whZjKwxitwAhbc5X7

Rubber washers
https://www.walmart.com/ip/15pcs-Black-Rubber-Round-Flat-Washer-Assortment-Size-14x24x3mm-Flat-Washer/857126366?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=571&&adid=22222222228235768307&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=279287399681&wl4=pla-466888196811&wl5=9019535&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111838760&wl11=online&wl12=857126366&veh=sem
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.