March 28, 2024, 02:07:23 PM

News:

Need exhaust advice please

Started by Adam76, June 19, 2020, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Hey guys, got my motor sorted now with the ev27 at 9.1 comp and all the other need parts.

I'm not sure what to do about the exhaust? Evo heritage softail 1996.

I can try and reuse the old and slightly  beat up 2 1/2"  slash cut slip on mufflers that were on the bike, but they need baffles. The only baffles I can find are the ones below that have an internal middle section diameter of about 1 1/8"  -  will this choke the exhaust too much?........

Or I can spring for a complete new 2-1 Bassani road rage long megaphone pipe. Not a huge fan of how loud the Bassani barks when you get heavy on the throttle but I could live with it cause it looks and perform well.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

thumper 823

The ONLY ones that will know for sure is a dyno shop as to what works well.
So Me?
I can only report what I have read (and use)  Thunderheader has a really good reputation.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Adam76

Quote from: thumper 823 on June 19, 2020, 05:12:36 PM
The ONLY ones that will know for sure is a dyno shop as to what works well.
So Me?
I can only report what I have read (and use)  Thunderheader has a really good reputation.

Hey thumper, even though the thunderheader is a great pipe, it's not one that I would consider.

Cheers

JW113

Bassani? Adam I thought you were trying to go econo on this?

Anyway, with what you have done with the motor, exotic exhaust ain't gonna do diddly, except empty your wallet. Your run of the mill basic stage 1 exhaust system will work perfectly with your build. What do you mean that you need baffles? Did somebody pull the baffles out of the mufflers that you have?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on June 19, 2020, 05:22:34 PM
Bassani? Adam I thought you were trying to go econo on this?

Anyway, with what you have done with the motor, exotic exhaust ain't gonna do diddly, except empty your wallet. Your run of the mill basic stage 1 exhaust system will work perfectly with your build. What do you mean that you need baffles? Did somebody pull the baffles out of the mufflers that you have?

-JW
Hey JW.  Not a slap together job, but budget mined.  😁

I have to put new baffles in to the mufflers because they were totally modified/ ruined.

With the new baffles, do you think the ID of 1  3/16" will hurt exhaust flow? Thanks

Flhfxd

I installed a Patriot Defender 2 into 1 on my 94 EG Classic. Not sure of the status of the company but this was inexpensive, had an adjustable outflow, and still looks good. Check them out.  :up:
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

RTMike

SuperTrap 2 into1 24 plates closed end cap you can't go wrong,not too loud good power all around

Adam76

June 20, 2020, 07:11:59 PM #7 Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:16:02 PM by Adam76
Quote from: RTMike on June 20, 2020, 06:48:47 PM
SuperTrap 2 into1 24 plates closed end cap you can't go wrong,not too loud good power all around
Hey RTMike, I did consider the supertrap but firstly too much money and secondly too quiet IMO without running an open end cap.

I actually had one on a street bob for a couple years and I remember just the billet end cap alone cost me almost $200. Plus it just doesn't fit the nostalgic look of the old school deluxe.
This would be nice, but not for $1,000.

The RR is only $550.... and just the baffles which like JW said is probably all I need for less than $200?

RTMike

Open end cap with 14 defused disks will work,chrome works staggered duals will work well with your combo also,and more noise too.

JW113

This is in the tweeking of 2 HP or so, is $300/HP worth it? You decide. Or maybe just a good running bike that is fun to ride? What do I know....

-JW

Adam76

June 21, 2020, 06:07:11 AM #10 Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 06:11:53 AM by Adam76
Quote from: JW113 on June 20, 2020, 07:49:12 PM
This is in the tweeking of 2 HP or so, is $300/HP worth it? You decide. Or maybe just a good running bike that is fun to ride? What do I know....

-JW

NO  $300 per HP is obviously not what anyone especially me choose to do.....

And yes, all I want is a nice running bike to haves fun with.....

I think you're misunderstanding my question, it's more about will my olds 2 1/2" se slash cut mufflers with new baffles that have an internal diameter of just 1 1/8" ish hurt the exhaust flow at all??
Just making sure I have all the ingredients for the bike to run well after all the other mods.....

But what do I know? 😁

JW113

Doubtful it will affect your exhaust flow much, I am guessing from the picture you posted that underneath that fiberglass mat the baffle looks like a piece of swiss cheese. Also consider that if you are retaining the crossover tube, each cylinder is looking into "two" mufflers (sort of). I don't think you have any worries with a restricted exhaust by going that route.

-JW

screem

My evo motor is set up simalar to yours.. EV-27 . 9:0 compression, Screamin eagle module and S&S carb...028 intermediate, 70 main,with accecerator pump turned way down. I run a set of Paughco 40"  1 3/4 shotgun drags , and used the original heat shields, with a small section of a baffle like you have pictured... It runs great... no stumbles or flat spots.. probably louder than most may like.. but i like it that way [attach=0]

JW113

Hey Cheech, no disrespect intended and not trying to start a debate. But as Mr. Scott says: Ya can't change the laws of physics, Captain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

I love the part at 4:35.

:hyst:

-JW

jsachs1

My favorite Evo pipes.
FXR = Supertrap 2 into 1.
All others = Thunderheader.( bend 3 tabs optional).
John

Adam76

June 21, 2020, 03:03:35 PM #15 Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 03:34:37 PM by Adam76
Quote from: JW113 on June 21, 2020, 09:36:16 AM
Doubtful it will affect your exhaust flow much, I am guessing from the picture you posted that underneath that fiberglass mat the baffle looks like a piece of swiss cheese. Also consider that if you are retaining the crossover tube, each cylinder is looking into "two" mufflers (sort of). I don't think you have any worries with a restricted exhaust by going that route.

-JW

Ok, thanks.   Most other mufflers I know of have internal baffle sizes of 1.5" / 1.75" / 2" so that's why I thought mine was on the pretty small and possibly restrictive side (think oen mufflers)....

Cheers.

Adam76

June 21, 2020, 03:04:38 PM #16 Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 04:00:22 PM by Adam76
Quote from: jsachs1 on June 21, 2020, 01:28:30 PM
My favorite Evo pipes.
FXR = Supertrap 2 into 1.
All others = Thunderheader.( bend 3 tabs optional).
John

Thanks John,  yes definitely 2 of the best choices if budget allows. 👍

98fxstc

Quote from: JW113 on June 21, 2020, 12:37:21 PM
Hey Cheech, no disrespect intended and not trying to start a debate. But as Mr. Scott says: Ya can't change the laws of physics, Captain!

-JW

drag pipes with a small section of baffle is not the same as open drag pipes

david lee

drag pipes with backpressure is a plus, right ?

Adam76

Quote from: david lee on June 21, 2020, 03:56:02 PM
drag pipes with backpressure is a plus, right ?
Possibly, but I don't think we are considering drag pipes on this thread 😁  I personally hate them.

Hossamania

Put the baffles in your mufflers, run it. Save money for the exhaust you ultimately want (ThunderHeader).
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on June 21, 2020, 06:48:13 PM
Put the baffles in your mufflers, run it. Save money for the exhaust you ultimately want (ThunderHeader).
Thanks Hoss,  looks like that's pretty much the way to go. 👍
Cheers

JW113

:agree:

Yep. This. You are not building a drag race bike, you are building a fun bike to ride from point A to point B. Right?

-JW

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on June 21, 2020, 08:19:32 PM

Yep. This. You are not building a drag race bike, you are building a fun bike to ride from point A to point B. Right?

-JW
Yes, exactly. But I still wanted to make sure I had a good enough exhaust to compliment everything else... my question was based on - will these narrow internal diameter cheap ass baffles hurt or restrict the exhaust flow. And it looks like I'm fine to run the baffles and it should all be happy days.  😁
If it works out well after tuning it, I'll probably just sick with it. 
Thanks

Hillside Motorcycle

A Supertrapp will allow the tuner(if willing) to dial in the pipe to the build.
We just put a Supertrapp on one of the shop bikes...2002 Dyna.
Maintaining the closed end cap with the proper amount of disc's is the true key.
Tuned with Supertrapp's now for over 25 years....always great results, when used on engines up to approx 113".
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Burnout

Baffles in drag pipes is like trying to fart around a cork.....
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Buglet

I'am against drag pipes, but had one last year a guy wanted drag pipe so I gave in took of a set of screaming eagle made by cycle shack off and put on a set of drag pipe with a defector and I ran identical as the screaming eagles did within 1 or 2 TQ and HP right though the whole RPM range. If I didn't test it myself I would have not believe it. I still think it was more luck that it ran the same. I still don't like drag pipes. 

nmainehunter

I run the Bassani pipes on my 95 FX springer. I have a 27 cam, 10:1 Wiseco pistons and a Dyna ignition. The Basanni's have given me fits since I put them on. The decell pop drives me crazy. I tried like hell to tune it out or just down a bit with no luck. I ended up modifying the muffler to accept Supertrapp discs. I cured my decell issue and it runs great. I really think that the Bassan's are better suited for fuel injected systems. Just my two cents....

cheech

Quote from: JW113 on June 21, 2020, 12:37:21 PM
-JW
:scratch: What you talking about Willis?  :SM:
None taken, as I didn't weigh in on this debate.

JW113

Whoosh! No idea where that came from. I think I meant "Screem", but the fingers typed Cheech. Must have been the gin taking over. The mind is a terrible thing to waste...
  :idunno:

-JW

nibroc

Quote from: Burnout on June 22, 2020, 06:41:31 AM
Baffles in drag pipes is like trying to fart around a cork.....

......... :chop: .... :agree:

Adam76

Quote from: nmainehunter on June 22, 2020, 09:19:53 AM
I run the Bassani pipes on my 95 FX springer. I have a 27 cam, 10:1 Wiseco pistons and a Dyna ignition. The Basanni's have given me fits since I put them on. The decell pop drives me crazy. I tried like hell to tune it out or just down a bit with no luck. I ended up modifying the muffler to accept Supertrapp discs. I cured my decell issue and it runs great. I really think that the Bassan's are better suited for fuel injected systems. Just my two cents....
Hey, thanks for the input. Great to hear from someone who has or is running the pipes, and interesting that they have different characteristics between carb and injected.
Cheers

Burnout

The drag pipes numbers may have been good at peak RPM.
But if you ride like that you are going to collect a lot of tickets.

A 2:1 pipe with long primaries and a megaphone is best.
This pipe will make power in many places a drag pipe won't.

Adam76

June 22, 2020, 09:38:24 PM #33 Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 03:39:23 AM by Adam76
Quote from: Burnout on June 22, 2020, 07:20:31 PM

Which is why I considered the Bassani long megaphone 2-1........... but sticking with my current 2.5" slash cut mufflers and semi-restrictive 1" ID baffles. See how that goes for a while.   :up:

nmainehunter

Adam76

Quote from: nmainehunter on June 23, 2020, 05:36:10 AM
BTW, I run the Road Rage.
Do you have the long or short megaphone version?
You said that you had trouble with tuning the pipe and had to modify it heavily, and so I figured you weren't  recommending it.
I have almost the exact same cam and piston set up as you, and at first I was thinking of getting the long version RR,  but I'm going to stick with the slip ons and a new set of baffles and see how it goes.
Cheers

Racepres

Hence... the name Drag Pipes...and... most winning drag racers don't use 'em either.. Custom Built wins. and Not always 2:1..
I don't like 2:1 personally, I find the Crossover Staggered Duals with glass pack style mufflers to be Superior for my riding style..

nmainehunter

Adam, I'm running the shorty.As far as tuning is concerned,I was trying to tune out the decel pop by jetting my CV carb. I just couldn't bring it to a point where could live with it so I went experimenting. You may find that you get better results,I hope.

Burnout

Quote from: Racepres on June 23, 2020, 07:40:51 AM

Hence... the name Drag Pipes...and... most winning drag racers don't use 'em either.. Custom Built wins. and Not always 2:1..
I don't like 2:1 personally, I find the Crossover Staggered Duals with glass pack style mufflers to be Superior for my riding style..

Yes, slip-ons and factory header pipes (with the crossover), work very well.
I never got the chance to compare them on a dyno.
I did pick up a complete NOS header pipe set for my Ironhead in anticipation of trying that.

Hossamania

Nothing wrong with a good set of drag pipes. They look the best, sound the best, cost the best, and look the best.
And sometimes they even work ok.

Adam76

Quote from: nmainehunter on June 23, 2020, 08:52:17 AM
Adam, I'm running the shorty.As far as tuning is concerned,I was trying to tune out the decel pop by jetting my CV carb. I just couldn't bring it to a point where could live with it so I went experimenting. You may find that you get better results,I hope.
Thanks again for the info on your pipe. I hope you've got it all sorted now.

I'm going to stick with my oem cross over headers with 2.5" slash cuts and pretty hefty new baffles which have just over a  inch ID and fibreglass wrapping.... hopefully not too restrictive and all should be sweet.
If money was no issue I would liked the bassan long megaphone. 😆
Cheers

Adam76

Quote from: Burnout on June 23, 2020, 11:01:31 AM
Quote from: Racepres on June 23, 2020, 07:40:51 AM

Yes, slip-ons and factory header pipes (with the crossover), work very well.
I never got the chance to compare them on a dyno.
I did pick up a complete NOS header pipe set for my Ironhead in anticipation of trying that.
Hey burnout, do you think the baffles that comes with my slips ons may be too restrictive?  They are 8" long and have an ID of only  1 1/8" and wrapped with baffle packing... I've never seen a muffler with that size baffle except for some TC stock oem ones.
Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

Burnout

If it is a straight through section it is not a baffle, it is only a glasspack, and it likely does little good power wise.
Not likely too restrictive either.

However anything that slips inside a drag pipe will affect top end power.
A muffler body needs to be larger than the pipe so it does not restrict flow.
And ideally you don't want backpressure, you want to stop reversion.
A cone does this best as a sound wave that tries to travel backwards in a cone gets squeezed and stopped.
No moving parts, no baffles to create restriction

Hossamania

Like the ThunderHeader you'll eventually put on....

Racepres

Quote from: Burnout on June 29, 2020, 08:26:27 AM
If it is a straight through section it is not a baffle, it is only a glasspack, and it likely does little good power wise.

A cone does this best as a sound wave that tries to travel backwards in a cone gets squeezed and stopped.
No moving parts, no baffles to create restriction
Not quite... but explanation enough
Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2020, 09:12:13 AM
Like the ThunderHeader you'll eventually put on....
They work very well indeed...due to prevention of reversion..
But... not always , necessarily, better than crossover staggered duals with GlassPacks
On the 1/4 mile dyno anyway

Adam76

Thanks for that. , they are not drag pipes.  The muffler body is 2.5" (which is larger than the 1 3/4" had pipe) and the "wrapped baffle inside brings the inside diameter down to the 1 1/8" ..... not sure if that helps. 

If that's a decent enough set up for a mild build then I'll leave it alone, if not then a 2-1 pipe may have to be added to the list..
Thanks

Racepres

Quote from: Adam76 on June 29, 2020, 03:40:58 PM

Thanks for that. , they are not drag pipes.  The muffler body is 2.5" (which is larger than the 1 3/4" had pipe) and the "wrapped baffle inside brings the inside diameter down to the 1 1/8" ..... not sure if that helps. 

If that's a decent enough set up for a mild build then I'll leave it alone, if not then a 2-1 pipe may have to be added to the list..
Thanks
I would run that so fast yer head would spin off yer shoulders!!!!

Hossamania

A while page of posts to come back to the beginning....

Racepres

Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2020, 05:11:57 PM

True... But... the Thunderheader, tho top notch, is not the Do all, End all... close tho!!!

Hossamania

I know, I was just giving advice to put the baffles in and run it. The ThunderHeader suggestions are more of a little dig and joking than a full on recommendation. The TH works, but it's not for everybody. Honestly, it is one ugly pipe.

Racepres

Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2020, 06:19:55 PM
I know, I was just giving advice to put the baffles in and run it. The ThunderHeader suggestions are more of a little dig and joking than a full on recommendation. The TH works, but it's not for everybody. Honestly, it is one ugly pipe.
Understood... I sometimes believe a "Unique" look is some kind of Status!!!
But... in this case... yes they Work

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2020, 05:11:57 PM

Yes, I see your point and didn't mean to drag it up again, but I'm not sure it was mentioned the first time round that the only baffles I could get have an extremely small internal diameter of just over 1"  and 8" long...... I've never seen a muffler with this much restriction and so was the reason for me seeking a specific response.

I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to think I'm better off with something else? I don't want to do it twice, tuning, rejetting etc. Maybe I will have to shell out the coin and get that thunder header eh?
Thanks

Hossamania

Pick a pipe that you like the look and sound. If you see a set on a bike that you like, talk with the owner and get some info. Most quality pipes will work well, and you have to live with it, so pick something you like. 2 into 1, 2 into 2 with a crossover, 2 into 2 true duals, most will work just fine for your set up. Cholo style long fishtails aren't great, but if you like them, run them.
Exhaust options usually occupy the most pages in any vendor's catalog. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what you're looking for.
Were I in your position, I already would have had those baffles in just to see how they sound, a quick evaluation of how they work, a quick tune with a couple jet changes to at least get it close, and ride it for a while. Maybe not even rejet, but at least go around the block to see how they sound, see if they choke too much power. They may have come out the same day, but at least I would know if they could be used or not.

Adam76

June 29, 2020, 09:18:39 PM #53 Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 02:03:15 AM by Adam76
Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2020, 09:04:09 PM
Pick a pipe that you like the look and sound. If you see a set on a bike that you like, talk with the owner and get some info. Most quality pipes will work well, and you have to live with it, so pick something you like. 2 into 1, 2 into 2 with a crossover, 2 into 2 true duals, most will work just fine for your set up. Cholo style long fishtails aren't great, but if you like them, run them.
Exhaust options usually occupy the most pages in any vendor's catalog. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what you're looking for.
Were I in your position, I already would have had those baffles in just to see how they sound, a quick evaluation of how they work, a quick tune with a couple jet changes to at least get it close, and ride it for a while. Maybe not even rejet, but at least go around the block to see how they sound, see if they choke too much power. They may have come out the same day, but at least I would know if they could be used or not.

I agree with  all of the above. And I definitely would have tested the baffles/ muffler combo by now if my bike wasn't stuck on a stand half stripped down in the stages of some motor upgrades etc...  :bike:

I can feel a Bassani RR long megaphone coming my way if these baffles look like I can't see through the other end.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. Done and dusted.

JW113

And loud! The name says it all. And I could be mistaken, memory fried and all, but don't they have a funny little torque dip around 2-2.5K rpm? In fact, don't most 2:1 systems?

-JW

Hossamania

Even fresh new tires! Your bike will feel brand new when you get it back on the road.

harpwrench

The stock Evo softail mufflers are approx 1.3" i.d. with a plate inside to divert exhaust through some holes. I used to cut the plate out with a 1.25 hole saw, back when they were new. They sounded pretty good and worked okay for a stock bike. Here is a pic of that inner tube that has been removed from a muffler. Theres a larger perforated outer tube inside the muffler, not just an empty can, if you cut out the inner tube. Doing that still sounds good not trashy, and would flow a lot more. 1 1/8" ish seems pretty restrictive to me unless you're just chug-a-lugging but that's just my personal opinion as I don't have any experience with the mufflers/baffles you're asking about.

Adam76

June 30, 2020, 03:35:09 PM #57 Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:05:29 PM by Adam76
Quote from: JW113 on June 30, 2020, 08:09:27 AM
And loud! The name says it all. And I could be mistaken, memory fried and all, but don't they have a funny little torque dip around 2-2.5K rpm? In fact, don't most 2:1 systems?

-JW
Hey JW, not wanting to drag this thread out any further, but the long megaphone is probably not as loud as the shorter 2-1s and probably quieter than the good old thunder header. I don't really know as I've never run a thunderheader pipe.

I was always told the longer pipe cured the tq dip?

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on June 30, 2020, 08:37:11 AM
Even fresh new tires! Your bike will feel brand new when you get it back on the road.
Absolutely   :up:

Adam76

Quote from: harpwrench on June 30, 2020, 11:28:31 AM
The stock Evo softail mufflers are approx 1.3" i.d. with a plate inside to divert exhaust through some holes........   1 1/8" ish seems pretty restrictive to me unless you're just chug-a-lugging but that's just my personal opinion......
Thanks,  that's pretty much what this whole thread was about. I'm ditching the restrictive baffles/mufflers combo for a better flowing exhaust. Especially since the bike is not stock and I'm not just chuggaling along.
Cheers

Hossamania

Well there you go. Problem solved.

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on June 30, 2020, 07:50:42 PM
Well there you go. Problem solved.
:SM:  took me long enough, but I finally got there.