March 28, 2024, 12:53:09 PM

News:

Need exhaust advice please

Started by Adam76, June 19, 2020, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnout

Baffles in drag pipes is like trying to fart around a cork.....
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Buglet

I'am against drag pipes, but had one last year a guy wanted drag pipe so I gave in took of a set of screaming eagle made by cycle shack off and put on a set of drag pipe with a defector and I ran identical as the screaming eagles did within 1 or 2 TQ and HP right though the whole RPM range. If I didn't test it myself I would have not believe it. I still think it was more luck that it ran the same. I still don't like drag pipes. 

nmainehunter

I run the Bassani pipes on my 95 FX springer. I have a 27 cam, 10:1 Wiseco pistons and a Dyna ignition. The Basanni's have given me fits since I put them on. The decell pop drives me crazy. I tried like hell to tune it out or just down a bit with no luck. I ended up modifying the muffler to accept Supertrapp discs. I cured my decell issue and it runs great. I really think that the Bassan's are better suited for fuel injected systems. Just my two cents....

cheech

Quote from: JW113 on June 21, 2020, 12:37:21 PM
Hey Cheech, no disrespect intended and not trying to start a debate. But as Mr. Scott says: Ya can't change the laws of physics, Captain!
-JW
:scratch: What you talking about Willis?  :SM:
None taken, as I didn't weigh in on this debate.

JW113

Whoosh! No idea where that came from. I think I meant "Screem", but the fingers typed Cheech. Must have been the gin taking over. The mind is a terrible thing to waste...
  :idunno:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

nibroc

Quote from: Burnout on June 22, 2020, 06:41:31 AM
Baffles in drag pipes is like trying to fart around a cork.....

......... :chop: .... :agree:

Adam76

Quote from: nmainehunter on June 22, 2020, 09:19:53 AM
I run the Bassani pipes on my 95 FX springer. I have a 27 cam, 10:1 Wiseco pistons and a Dyna ignition. The Basanni's have given me fits since I put them on. The decell pop drives me crazy. I tried like hell to tune it out or just down a bit with no luck. I ended up modifying the muffler to accept Supertrapp discs. I cured my decell issue and it runs great. I really think that the Bassan's are better suited for fuel injected systems. Just my two cents....
Hey, thanks for the input. Great to hear from someone who has or is running the pipes, and interesting that they have different characteristics between carb and injected.
Cheers

Burnout

The drag pipes numbers may have been good at peak RPM.
But if you ride like that you are going to collect a lot of tickets.

A 2:1 pipe with long primaries and a megaphone is best.
This pipe will make power in many places a drag pipe won't.

Adam76

June 22, 2020, 09:38:24 PM #33 Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 03:39:23 AM by Adam76
Quote from: Burnout on June 22, 2020, 07:20:31 PM

:agree:   
Which is why I considered the Bassani long megaphone 2-1........... but sticking with my current 2.5" slash cut mufflers and semi-restrictive 1" ID baffles. See how that goes for a while.   :up:

nmainehunter

Adam76

Quote from: nmainehunter on June 23, 2020, 05:36:10 AM
BTW, I run the Road Rage.
Do you have the long or short megaphone version?
You said that you had trouble with tuning the pipe and had to modify it heavily, and so I figured you weren't  recommending it.
I have almost the exact same cam and piston set up as you, and at first I was thinking of getting the long version RR,  but I'm going to stick with the slip ons and a new set of baffles and see how it goes.
Cheers

Racepres

Hence... the name Drag Pipes...and... most winning drag racers don't use 'em either.. Custom Built wins. and Not always 2:1..
I don't like 2:1 personally, I find the Crossover Staggered Duals with glass pack style mufflers to be Superior for my riding style..

nmainehunter

Adam, I'm running the shorty.As far as tuning is concerned,I was trying to tune out the decel pop by jetting my CV carb. I just couldn't bring it to a point where could live with it so I went experimenting. You may find that you get better results,I hope.

Burnout

Quote from: Racepres on June 23, 2020, 07:40:51 AM

Hence... the name Drag Pipes...and... most winning drag racers don't use 'em either.. Custom Built wins. and Not always 2:1..
I don't like 2:1 personally, I find the Crossover Staggered Duals with glass pack style mufflers to be Superior for my riding style..

Yes, slip-ons and factory header pipes (with the crossover), work very well.
I never got the chance to compare them on a dyno.
I did pick up a complete NOS header pipe set for my Ironhead in anticipation of trying that.

Hossamania

Nothing wrong with a good set of drag pipes. They look the best, sound the best, cost the best, and look the best.
And sometimes they even work ok.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Adam76

Quote from: nmainehunter on June 23, 2020, 08:52:17 AM
Adam, I'm running the shorty.As far as tuning is concerned,I was trying to tune out the decel pop by jetting my CV carb. I just couldn't bring it to a point where could live with it so I went experimenting. You may find that you get better results,I hope.
Thanks again for the info on your pipe. I hope you've got it all sorted now.

I'm going to stick with my oem cross over headers with 2.5" slash cuts and pretty hefty new baffles which have just over a  inch ID and fibreglass wrapping.... hopefully not too restrictive and all should be sweet.
If money was no issue I would liked the bassan long megaphone. 😆
Cheers

Adam76

Quote from: Burnout on June 23, 2020, 11:01:31 AM
Quote from: Racepres on June 23, 2020, 07:40:51 AM

Yes, slip-ons and factory header pipes (with the crossover), work very well.
I never got the chance to compare them on a dyno.
I did pick up a complete NOS header pipe set for my Ironhead in anticipation of trying that.
Hey burnout, do you think the baffles that comes with my slips ons may be too restrictive?  They are 8" long and have an ID of only  1 1/8" and wrapped with baffle packing... I've never seen a muffler with that size baffle except for some TC stock oem ones.
Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

Burnout

If it is a straight through section it is not a baffle, it is only a glasspack, and it likely does little good power wise.
Not likely too restrictive either.

However anything that slips inside a drag pipe will affect top end power.
A muffler body needs to be larger than the pipe so it does not restrict flow.
And ideally you don't want backpressure, you want to stop reversion.
A cone does this best as a sound wave that tries to travel backwards in a cone gets squeezed and stopped.
No moving parts, no baffles to create restriction

Hossamania

Like the ThunderHeader you'll eventually put on....

Racepres

Quote from: Burnout on June 29, 2020, 08:26:27 AM
If it is a straight through section it is not a baffle, it is only a glasspack, and it likely does little good power wise.

A cone does this best as a sound wave that tries to travel backwards in a cone gets squeezed and stopped.
No moving parts, no baffles to create restriction
Not quite... but explanation enough
Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2020, 09:12:13 AM
Like the ThunderHeader you'll eventually put on....
They work very well indeed...due to prevention of reversion..
But... not always , necessarily, better than crossover staggered duals with GlassPacks
On the 1/4 mile dyno anyway

Adam76

Thanks for that. , they are not drag pipes.  The muffler body is 2.5" (which is larger than the 1 3/4" had pipe) and the "wrapped baffle inside brings the inside diameter down to the 1 1/8" ..... not sure if that helps. 

If that's a decent enough set up for a mild build then I'll leave it alone, if not then a 2-1 pipe may have to be added to the list..
Thanks

Racepres

Quote from: Adam76 on June 29, 2020, 03:40:58 PM

Thanks for that. , they are not drag pipes.  The muffler body is 2.5" (which is larger than the 1 3/4" had pipe) and the "wrapped baffle inside brings the inside diameter down to the 1 1/8" ..... not sure if that helps. 

If that's a decent enough set up for a mild build then I'll leave it alone, if not then a 2-1 pipe may have to be added to the list..
Thanks
I would run that so fast yer head would spin off yer shoulders!!!!

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on June 21, 2020, 06:48:13 PM
Put the baffles in your mufflers, run it. Save money for the exhaust you ultimately want (ThunderHeader).

A while page of posts to come back to the beginning....

Racepres

Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2020, 05:11:57 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on June 21, 2020, 06:48:13 PM
Put the baffles in your mufflers, run it. Save money for the exhaust you ultimately want (ThunderHeader).

A while page of posts to come back to the beginning....
True... But... the Thunderheader, tho top notch, is not the Do all, End all... close tho!!!

Hossamania

I know, I was just giving advice to put the baffles in and run it. The ThunderHeader suggestions are more of a little dig and joking than a full on recommendation. The TH works, but it's not for everybody. Honestly, it is one ugly pipe.