April 18, 2024, 02:16:35 AM

News:

Need exhaust advice please

Started by Adam76, June 19, 2020, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Hey guys, got my motor sorted now with the ev27 at 9.1 comp and all the other need parts.

I'm not sure what to do about the exhaust? Evo heritage softail 1996.

I can try and reuse the old and slightly  beat up 2 1/2"  slash cut slip on mufflers that were on the bike, but they need baffles. The only baffles I can find are the ones below that have an internal middle section diameter of about 1 1/8"  -  will this choke the exhaust too much?........

Or I can spring for a complete new 2-1 Bassani road rage long megaphone pipe. Not a huge fan of how loud the Bassani barks when you get heavy on the throttle but I could live with it cause it looks and perform well.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

thumper 823

The ONLY ones that will know for sure is a dyno shop as to what works well.
So Me?
I can only report what I have read (and use)  Thunderheader has a really good reputation.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Adam76

Quote from: thumper 823 on June 19, 2020, 05:12:36 PM
The ONLY ones that will know for sure is a dyno shop as to what works well.
So Me?
I can only report what I have read (and use)  Thunderheader has a really good reputation.

Hey thumper, even though the thunderheader is a great pipe, it's not one that I would consider.

Cheers

JW113

Bassani? Adam I thought you were trying to go econo on this?

Anyway, with what you have done with the motor, exotic exhaust ain't gonna do diddly, except empty your wallet. Your run of the mill basic stage 1 exhaust system will work perfectly with your build. What do you mean that you need baffles? Did somebody pull the baffles out of the mufflers that you have?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on June 19, 2020, 05:22:34 PM
Bassani? Adam I thought you were trying to go econo on this?

Anyway, with what you have done with the motor, exotic exhaust ain't gonna do diddly, except empty your wallet. Your run of the mill basic stage 1 exhaust system will work perfectly with your build. What do you mean that you need baffles? Did somebody pull the baffles out of the mufflers that you have?

-JW
Hey JW.  Not a slap together job, but budget mined.  😁

I have to put new baffles in to the mufflers because they were totally modified/ ruined.

With the new baffles, do you think the ID of 1  3/16" will hurt exhaust flow? Thanks

Flhfxd

I installed a Patriot Defender 2 into 1 on my 94 EG Classic. Not sure of the status of the company but this was inexpensive, had an adjustable outflow, and still looks good. Check them out.  :up:
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

RTMike

SuperTrap 2 into1 24 plates closed end cap you can't go wrong,not too loud good power all around

Adam76

June 20, 2020, 07:11:59 PM #7 Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:16:02 PM by Adam76
Quote from: RTMike on June 20, 2020, 06:48:47 PM
SuperTrap 2 into1 24 plates closed end cap you can't go wrong,not too loud good power all around
Hey RTMike, I did consider the supertrap but firstly too much money and secondly too quiet IMO without running an open end cap.

I actually had one on a street bob for a couple years and I remember just the billet end cap alone cost me almost $200. Plus it just doesn't fit the nostalgic look of the old school deluxe.
This would be nice, but not for $1,000.

The RR is only $550.... and just the baffles which like JW said is probably all I need for less than $200?

RTMike

Open end cap with 14 defused disks will work,chrome works staggered duals will work well with your combo also,and more noise too.

JW113

This is in the tweeking of 2 HP or so, is $300/HP worth it? You decide. Or maybe just a good running bike that is fun to ride? What do I know....

-JW

Adam76

June 21, 2020, 06:07:11 AM #10 Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 06:11:53 AM by Adam76
Quote from: JW113 on June 20, 2020, 07:49:12 PM
This is in the tweeking of 2 HP or so, is $300/HP worth it? You decide. Or maybe just a good running bike that is fun to ride? What do I know....

-JW

NO  $300 per HP is obviously not what anyone especially me choose to do.....

And yes, all I want is a nice running bike to haves fun with.....

I think you're misunderstanding my question, it's more about will my olds 2 1/2" se slash cut mufflers with new baffles that have an internal diameter of just 1 1/8" ish hurt the exhaust flow at all??
Just making sure I have all the ingredients for the bike to run well after all the other mods.....

But what do I know? 😁

JW113

Doubtful it will affect your exhaust flow much, I am guessing from the picture you posted that underneath that fiberglass mat the baffle looks like a piece of swiss cheese. Also consider that if you are retaining the crossover tube, each cylinder is looking into "two" mufflers (sort of). I don't think you have any worries with a restricted exhaust by going that route.

-JW

screem

My evo motor is set up simalar to yours.. EV-27 . 9:0 compression, Screamin eagle module and S&S carb...028 intermediate, 70 main,with accecerator pump turned way down. I run a set of Paughco 40"  1 3/4 shotgun drags , and used the original heat shields, with a small section of a baffle like you have pictured... It runs great... no stumbles or flat spots.. probably louder than most may like.. but i like it that way [attach=0]

JW113

Hey Cheech, no disrespect intended and not trying to start a debate. But as Mr. Scott says: Ya can't change the laws of physics, Captain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

I love the part at 4:35.

:hyst:

-JW

jsachs1

My favorite Evo pipes.
FXR = Supertrap 2 into 1.
All others = Thunderheader.( bend 3 tabs optional).
John

Adam76

June 21, 2020, 03:03:35 PM #15 Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 03:34:37 PM by Adam76
Quote from: JW113 on June 21, 2020, 09:36:16 AM
Doubtful it will affect your exhaust flow much, I am guessing from the picture you posted that underneath that fiberglass mat the baffle looks like a piece of swiss cheese. Also consider that if you are retaining the crossover tube, each cylinder is looking into "two" mufflers (sort of). I don't think you have any worries with a restricted exhaust by going that route.

-JW

Ok, thanks.   Most other mufflers I know of have internal baffle sizes of 1.5" / 1.75" / 2" so that's why I thought mine was on the pretty small and possibly restrictive side (think oen mufflers)....

Cheers.

Adam76

June 21, 2020, 03:04:38 PM #16 Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 04:00:22 PM by Adam76
Quote from: jsachs1 on June 21, 2020, 01:28:30 PM
My favorite Evo pipes.
FXR = Supertrap 2 into 1.
All others = Thunderheader.( bend 3 tabs optional).
John

Thanks John,  yes definitely 2 of the best choices if budget allows. 👍

98fxstc

Quote from: JW113 on June 21, 2020, 12:37:21 PM
Hey Cheech, no disrespect intended and not trying to start a debate. But as Mr. Scott says: Ya can't change the laws of physics, Captain!

-JW

drag pipes with a small section of baffle is not the same as open drag pipes

david lee

drag pipes with backpressure is a plus, right ?

Adam76

Quote from: david lee on June 21, 2020, 03:56:02 PM
drag pipes with backpressure is a plus, right ?
Possibly, but I don't think we are considering drag pipes on this thread 😁  I personally hate them.

Hossamania

Put the baffles in your mufflers, run it. Save money for the exhaust you ultimately want (ThunderHeader).
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on June 21, 2020, 06:48:13 PM
Put the baffles in your mufflers, run it. Save money for the exhaust you ultimately want (ThunderHeader).
Thanks Hoss,  looks like that's pretty much the way to go. 👍
Cheers

JW113

:agree:

Yep. This. You are not building a drag race bike, you are building a fun bike to ride from point A to point B. Right?

-JW

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on June 21, 2020, 08:19:32 PM

:agree:

Yep. This. You are not building a drag race bike, you are building a fun bike to ride from point A to point B. Right?

-JW
Yes, exactly. But I still wanted to make sure I had a good enough exhaust to compliment everything else... my question was based on - will these narrow internal diameter cheap ass baffles hurt or restrict the exhaust flow. And it looks like I'm fine to run the baffles and it should all be happy days.  😁
If it works out well after tuning it, I'll probably just sick with it. 
Thanks

Hillside Motorcycle

A Supertrapp will allow the tuner(if willing) to dial in the pipe to the build.
We just put a Supertrapp on one of the shop bikes...2002 Dyna.
Maintaining the closed end cap with the proper amount of disc's is the true key.
Tuned with Supertrapp's now for over 25 years....always great results, when used on engines up to approx 113".
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"