March 28, 2024, 04:58:48 PM

News:

Need exhaust advice please

Started by Adam76, June 19, 2020, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racepres

Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2020, 06:19:55 PM
I know, I was just giving advice to put the baffles in and run it. The ThunderHeader suggestions are more of a little dig and joking than a full on recommendation. The TH works, but it's not for everybody. Honestly, it is one ugly pipe.
Understood... I sometimes believe a "Unique" look is some kind of Status!!!
But... in this case... yes they Work

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2020, 05:11:57 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on June 21, 2020, 06:48:13 PM
Put the baffles in your mufflers, run it. Save money for the exhaust you ultimately want (ThunderHeader).

A while page of posts to come back to the beginning....
Yes, I see your point and didn't mean to drag it up again, but I'm not sure it was mentioned the first time round that the only baffles I could get have an extremely small internal diameter of just over 1"  and 8" long...... I've never seen a muffler with this much restriction and so was the reason for me seeking a specific response.

I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to think I'm better off with something else? I don't want to do it twice, tuning, rejetting etc. Maybe I will have to shell out the coin and get that thunder header eh?
Thanks

Hossamania

Pick a pipe that you like the look and sound. If you see a set on a bike that you like, talk with the owner and get some info. Most quality pipes will work well, and you have to live with it, so pick something you like. 2 into 1, 2 into 2 with a crossover, 2 into 2 true duals, most will work just fine for your set up. Cholo style long fishtails aren't great, but if you like them, run them.
Exhaust options usually occupy the most pages in any vendor's catalog. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what you're looking for.
Were I in your position, I already would have had those baffles in just to see how they sound, a quick evaluation of how they work, a quick tune with a couple jet changes to at least get it close, and ride it for a while. Maybe not even rejet, but at least go around the block to see how they sound, see if they choke too much power. They may have come out the same day, but at least I would know if they could be used or not.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Adam76

June 29, 2020, 09:18:39 PM #53 Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 02:03:15 AM by Adam76
Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2020, 09:04:09 PM
Pick a pipe that you like the look and sound. If you see a set on a bike that you like, talk with the owner and get some info. Most quality pipes will work well, and you have to live with it, so pick something you like. 2 into 1, 2 into 2 with a crossover, 2 into 2 true duals, most will work just fine for your set up. Cholo style long fishtails aren't great, but if you like them, run them.
Exhaust options usually occupy the most pages in any vendor's catalog. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what you're looking for.
Were I in your position, I already would have had those baffles in just to see how they sound, a quick evaluation of how they work, a quick tune with a couple jet changes to at least get it close, and ride it for a while. Maybe not even rejet, but at least go around the block to see how they sound, see if they choke too much power. They may have come out the same day, but at least I would know if they could be used or not.

I agree with  all of the above. And I definitely would have tested the baffles/ muffler combo by now if my bike wasn't stuck on a stand half stripped down in the stages of some motor upgrades etc...  :bike:

I can feel a Bassani RR long megaphone coming my way if these baffles look like I can't see through the other end.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. Done and dusted.

JW113

And loud! The name says it all. And I could be mistaken, memory fried and all, but don't they have a funny little torque dip around 2-2.5K rpm? In fact, don't most 2:1 systems?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

Even fresh new tires! Your bike will feel brand new when you get it back on the road.

harpwrench

The stock Evo softail mufflers are approx 1.3" i.d. with a plate inside to divert exhaust through some holes. I used to cut the plate out with a 1.25 hole saw, back when they were new. They sounded pretty good and worked okay for a stock bike. Here is a pic of that inner tube that has been removed from a muffler. Theres a larger perforated outer tube inside the muffler, not just an empty can, if you cut out the inner tube. Doing that still sounds good not trashy, and would flow a lot more. 1 1/8" ish seems pretty restrictive to me unless you're just chug-a-lugging but that's just my personal opinion as I don't have any experience with the mufflers/baffles you're asking about.

Adam76

June 30, 2020, 03:35:09 PM #57 Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:05:29 PM by Adam76
Quote from: JW113 on June 30, 2020, 08:09:27 AM
And loud! The name says it all. And I could be mistaken, memory fried and all, but don't they have a funny little torque dip around 2-2.5K rpm? In fact, don't most 2:1 systems?

-JW
Hey JW, not wanting to drag this thread out any further, but the long megaphone is probably not as loud as the shorter 2-1s and probably quieter than the good old thunder header. I don't really know as I've never run a thunderheader pipe.

I was always told the longer pipe cured the tq dip?

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on June 30, 2020, 08:37:11 AM
Even fresh new tires! Your bike will feel brand new when you get it back on the road.
Absolutely   :up:

Adam76

Quote from: harpwrench on June 30, 2020, 11:28:31 AM
The stock Evo softail mufflers are approx 1.3" i.d. with a plate inside to divert exhaust through some holes........   1 1/8" ish seems pretty restrictive to me unless you're just chug-a-lugging but that's just my personal opinion......
Thanks,  that's pretty much what this whole thread was about. I'm ditching the restrictive baffles/mufflers combo for a better flowing exhaust. Especially since the bike is not stock and I'm not just chuggaling along.
Cheers

Hossamania

Well there you go. Problem solved.

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on June 30, 2020, 07:50:42 PM
Well there you go. Problem solved.
:SM:  took me long enough, but I finally got there.