March 28, 2024, 06:34:48 AM

News:

What to do with old engine cases?

Started by JW113, June 20, 2020, 09:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

I have a set of '92 Evo cases that had the common crack on the right side up at the apex. They've been just sitting around collecting dust. I guess the right side could be used to fixture a nose cone to hone the bushing, and I should probably cut the serial number off the left side "just in case". Other than that, what good are old non-functional cases?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

turboprop

Quote from: JW113 on June 20, 2020, 09:52:39 AM
I have a set of '92 Evo cases that had the common crack on the right side up at the apex. They've been just sitting around collecting dust. I guess the right side could be used to fixture a nose cone to hone the bushing, and I should probably cut the serial number off the left side "just in case". Other than that, what good are old non-functional cases?

-JW

Are they matched to a collectable chassis? If so Baisley can fix those cases to be better than new.

If they are not collectable, you could build an engine 'shell' for your man room. I have a pan and a shovel engine in my man room and plan to mock up an evo eventually.

I bet a cool lamp could be made from those cases.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

At my buddy Joe's house.

[attach=0]

JW113

Yes Ohio, that is about what they look like at present.
:SM:

These are not what I would consider collectable, they're from my '92 softail (of which buttloads of them were made in the 90s) and have been replaced with far superior Ultima cases. Not worth the time or money to repair. I was mainly looking for any tooling value, and might hold on to the right side but don't see any use for the left side. A "shell" motor could be interesting, though. Might give that a think.

But speaking of, I can't really remember the last time I saw an Evo powered anything. You suppose I have the only one left in CA?
:scratch:

-JW

turboprop

Quote from: JW113 on June 20, 2020, 10:25:20 AM
Yes Ohio, that is about what they look like at present.

These are not what I would consider collectable, they're from my '92 softail (of which buttloads of them were made in the 90s) and have been replaced with far superior Ultima cases. Not worth the time or money to repair. I was mainly looking for any tooling value, and might hold on to the right side but don't see any use for the left side. A "shell" motor could be interesting, though. Might give that a think.

But speaking of, I can't really remember the last time I saw an Evo powered anything. You suppose I have the only one left in CA?
:scratch:

-JW

Plenty of them in FXRs out there.

As for your bike not being collectable. Who would have thought that this old POS shovels from the late 70s/early 80s would ever be worth anything? But yet here we are, a numbers matching old shovel FLH is bringing close to $10k in rough, POS condition. If you have the matching frame and trans case, I would hold on to it. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on June 20, 2020, 09:56:49 AM

-JW

Are they matched to a collectable chassis? If so Baisley can fix those cases to be better than new.

If they are not collectable, you could build an engine 'shell' for your man room. I have a pan and a shovel engine in my man room and plan to mock up an evo eventually.

I bet a cool lamp could be made from those cases.

I like that idea. Made me think, I only need to find bad set of TC cases, I have enough of the other items to put one together.

JW113

There's no doubt, Shovels of today are the Pans of the '90s. I can even remember the '70s when Panheads weren't worth squat everybody wanted a Shovelhead or put Shovel heads on their Pan bottom end to get more power. Today Pans are damn near untouchable. Agree, get your Shovelhead while you still can. I did.

The difference I see with Evos is that they made 10 times or more of them for every Shovelhead. Sure, someday they might be worth something, but I will most likely be long gone by then.

-JW

PoorUB

On the other big HD forum a guy chopped up a mid '90's SofTail and made sort of a road warrior machine. It looked pretty cool, sportbike front suspension, mono shock out of some other sportbike. Somebody busted him for ruining a perfectly good, collectible SofTail. I had to chuckle over that comment. Yeah, limited edition, only made 20,000 of them that year!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

Yup, Evo softails are a dime a dozen, just made to be chopped.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Scooter1-2putt

Evo's , early Shovels , Pans or earlier are the only Harleys I'm interested in. I have most service tools that I need to work on them. Can't see any reason to get a twin am or newer. :chop:
Z

Julio

-JW

Hold on to the right side (cam) case, 
If you need to replace the cam cover bushing, it needs to be line reamed. If you have a junk right side case, bolt the cam cover to it and use it as a guide.
If you still don't want it, drop me a pm.

Burnout

I would not worry about the motor number, they are no longer relevant to ownership since the 17 digit frame VIN was implemented.

I don't think the states even look at the motor number any more.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

hbkeith

wish i had some of the OEM parts that were thrown away from FXRTs in the 80s , or the Knuck and Pan parts discarded to make choppers , wish i could afford a WLA that they made 60000 of during WW2

Hillside Motorcycle

We used to have a dummy set-up with a degree wheel mounted to the sprocket shaft, and a 1" travel dial indicator mounted to measure lifter travel, along with the cam chest part intact, we'd degree/check cam timing.
Andrews, and Dick Hilferty cams always seemed to be spot-on....others not so.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

cheech

I'd keep them. Make nice wall art or shelf art. Or not, they don't take up much room.
Clearly no time soon or ever maybe, but if they are kept with the original bike someone might appreciate that.

JW113

Quote from: Burnout on June 23, 2020, 07:49:22 PM
I would not worry about the motor number, they are no longer relevant to ownership since the 17 digit frame VIN was implemented. I don't think the states even look at the motor number any more.

I can't speak for all states of course, but in my own, I don't think they look at frame/motor VIN numbers PERIOD. In the past 40 some years of riding, countless miles and who knows how many stops by cops, I have never ever had one check a frame/engine number. Even when buying/selling bikes, never checked. The ONLY time I have had to have a number check is when buying basket case bikes that were so far out of registration that they dropped out of the systems. Basically, when I had to ASK them to check it. And in each case, I'd take the bike to the cop shop, ask for a frame ID verification, the cop would shuffle out to my truck, quickly glance at it, and sign.  I think the only number they care about anymore is what is on the license plate!

-JW

cheech

Same pretty much here in Ohio, for currently registered Ohio vehicles.  If a out of state purchased vehicle is brought in. The BMV has to do a "out of state" inspection. Verify the VIN matches title. But I've never had them look at the engine number on vehicles that have a frame number stamped on them.

PoorUB

June 24, 2020, 04:27:34 PM #17 Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:41:33 AM by rigidthumper
South Dakota is weird. I have a friend that bought an out of state HD Evo with a Baker transmission. The transmission was put in in 2006. When he went to register it and got inspected the transmission threw up all sorts of flags. His title says the bike is a 2006 because of the tranny swap out. I gotta believe it will be a pain in the butt to sell it out of state with the 2006 title.

JW113

Why were they concerned with the transmission? And how did they even know about it?

-JW

Deye76

There are numbers on trans cases back then that correspond with the VIN. Nitpicking by SD.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

PoorUB

Quote from: JW113 on June 24, 2020, 06:01:34 PM
Why were they concerned with the transmission? And how did they even know about it?

-JW

A sharp inspector, I would guess.

I don't fully understand thier thinking but I believe they treated it like a custom build. Even issued a new VIN number.

Racepres

Quote from: PoorUB on June 25, 2020, 06:30:18 AM
Quote from: JW113 on June 24, 2020, 06:01:34 PM

-JW

I don't fully understand thier thinking but I believe they treated it like a custom build. Even issued a new VIN number.
Not what I would Want... zero Resale Value as it is no Longer Titled as a harley davidson... rather Special Construction... Nope nope... Not me..

JW113

Well that don't make no sense at all to me. If the trans in my car goes out and I have them put in a brand new one, they don't register the car by the year of the new transmission. Oh heck, the truck four speed in my '55 Chevy is from a '80. So is my truck now a special construction 1980 Chevy? Repairs or even upgrades are not special construction. The dude should have challenged that.

-JW

cheech

Quote from: PoorUB on June 25, 2020, 06:30:18 AM

All conjecture at this point, but I'm led to believe there was some issue with the title also from the other state.
Harley title, frame, and VIN. What flag would that bring up?

I'm of the opinion the women or men down at the BMV/DMV wouldn't even know if it was missing a transmission.

kd

Harley has been denying valid registration on salvage motorcycles in the past few years.  My buddy bought a branded Vrod hare in Ontario and wasn't able to register as a Harley Davidson any more.  That may apply in other jurisdictions too.   :nix:
KD

chipthedonkey

Quote from: kd on June 25, 2020, 10:47:03 AM
Harley has been denying valid registration on salvage motorcycles in the past few years.  My buddy bought a branded Vrod hare in Ontario and wasn't able to register as a Harley Davidson any more.  That may apply in other jurisdictions too.   :nix:

Am surprised that's a manufacturer choice.  Would have assumed that choice stayed with the state issuing the title?

david lee

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 20, 2020, 10:01:49 AM
At my buddy Joe's house.

[attach=0,msg1351880]
ive never seen an evo rock garden before

wreck74

Keep them with your bike, if you sell it or keep till you die, keep them with the bike.