April 18, 2024, 12:46:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Oil Cooled 62400247 vs. Water Cooled Oil Pump 62400248

Started by jamminhd2000, June 22, 2020, 09:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamminhd2000

Hi All,
I thought I had seen a pic of the two different oil pumps to be able to identify which one is oil cooled and which is water cooled. Can't seem to find it now...Can anybody help me out identify the difference between the two. Thanks! Jimmy

les

So, I'm guessing there is more to it than observing the part number on the oil pump?  (Assuming they stamp the part numbers on them, maybe not?)

Don D

Stamped number on the oil is last 3 238, water last 3 is 242

FSG

Jimmy  drill down to the Tech Tips Section and go look at TT466

jamminhd2000

Number looks like last 3 are 236 :nix:

[attach=0,msg1352240]

jamminhd2000

Better pic

[attach=0,msg1352245]

cheech

:scratch: Well per the TT FSG referenced that's the casting number for the 62400247. The updated oil cooled oil pump assembly.

jamminhd2000

Here is what started me down this path. I am doing alot of builds, cam jobs, oil pump upgrades ect... on these m8's. I want to be able to identify the two different pumps as I have read about the stories of using wrong pump in oil vs water cooled bikes. I even read that a water cooled pump came out of an oil cooled pump box from the factory and made it into a motor and cooked the bike.

I beleive that the number on the pumps are casting numbers and are not the same as the actual part #s. Just trying to minimize my chances of any problems as we all know mistakes can be very costly.

jamminhd2000

Went back and read tt466....the light bulb finally came on.... I had a  :bf:.....thanks fsg once again!