April 25, 2024, 02:00:51 PM

News:

Dual plug ignition question

Started by Harpo, June 22, 2020, 10:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Hey all - have a 93" dual plugged '80 with high comp.  Has a Dyna S single fire ignition firing 2 dual tower coils (5 ohms each).  Runs great but very hard to start.  Have run it this way for years but getting tired of it (I'm getting old).  Want to try a single set of points going to a couple of dual tower coils wired in series.  I know that points require 5 ohm coils.  What to do - would you get a pair of 3 ohm coils, which would get you 6 ohms total, which is sorta close to 5 ohms?  Any input appreciated.  TIA

JW113

Hard to start why? Is this a kick only bike?

You can run two 3 ohm coils in series with points. It's not clear to me why this would make it any easier to start.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

turboprop

Quote from: Harpo on June 22, 2020, 10:25:56 AM
Hey all - have a 93" dual plugged '80 with high comp.  Has a Dyna S single fire ignition firing 2 dual tower coils (5 ohms each).  Runs great but very hard to start.  Have run it this way for years but getting tired of it (I'm getting old).  Want to try a single set of points going to a couple of dual tower coils wired in series.  I know that points require 5 ohm coils.  What to do - would you get a pair of 3 ohm coils, which would get you 6 ohms total, which is sorta close to 5 ohms?  Any input appreciated.  TIA

I am with JW, not sure why you think the difficult starting is attributable to the resistance of the coils. I were going to replace anything in this system it would be that Dyna S with the flyweights. There are several really good electronic modules that will drop into your nose cone that have a kick start mode.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Racepres

Ok... My Turn... My '74-74" been runnin a Dual Fire Dyna-S forever.. Wouldn't say it starts hard.. bout same as the one with points!!! I have never felt a need for Single fire... except with Dual Plugs...which is You, Harpo..
When was the last time the mechanical advance was Serviced??? Checked??
I am not likely to Give up my Dyna-S's [plural] But... Must service the Advance Mechanism...

Reddog74usa

My 68 FLH is 88 inches at 9.5-1 CR with a tall andrews first gear set up and does very well with the stock ignition system using points and an EVO coil. Fires right off at the touch of the starter button or on first kick if ya go with the leg. No ping pulling these big Colorado mountains either.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

RTMike

Check the advance unit,most likely sticky or stuck part way

a_disalvo

Quote from: RTMike on June 22, 2020, 02:03:53 PM
Check the advance unit,most likely sticky or stuck part way,Agree!!! My shovel was hard stating, advance weights springs were gone.Went full advance whenever you cranked it. Installed Rivera Stainless unit and problem solved. Frank

RTMike

Yes I've seen the advance unit so warn out the fly waits were hitting the inside of the cone cover

JW113

I've mentioned this before, but still can't understand why the flyweight advance mechanism used in a HD seems to wear out, but the (essentially) same type of advance unit, used for decades clear up until multi-coil ignition in the hundreds of millions of cars ever made, NEVER wore out? And I doubt that many got much maintenance.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

I don't think the motor spins smoothly and that is what eats up the advance mech.

The crank slows down and speeds up twice each cycle.

Replace it with a gold trigger cup and a proper E/I and never touch it again.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: turboprop on June 22, 2020, 10:42:32 AM
There are several really good electronic modules that will drop into your nose cone that have a kick start mode.

Can you recommend one? I have a Dynatek 2Ki from 2003 set for single fire in a dual plugged 93. Never had a hiccup but kicking is out of the question with it.

Thanks,
Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

turboprop

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on June 25, 2020, 06:09:16 PM
There are several really good electronic modules that will drop into your nose cone that have a kick start mode.

Can you recommend one? I have a Dynatek 2Ki from 2003 set for single fire in a dual plugged 93. Never had a hiccup but kicking is out of the question with it.

Thanks,
Mark

If you remember about seven years ago I built an old trouble head FLH for my Brother Johny Bo (RIP). Bo was a double amputee (below the leg) that dreamed of having an old 93" trouble head with a kicker. I built him one as a retirement gift. That bike had every modern update I could leverage against it to include a Daytona Twin Tech nose cone module and a set of 3.0 ohh dual fire (factory style) coils. Also had a Mik45 and a bunch of other modern amenities. Bo could kick that bike over first kick. Amazing thing to watch.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Hossamania

Thanks,
Mark

Anybody remember the show Build or Bust? The premise was that if you could build a bike in 30 days with supplied parts from Russel Mitchel, and got it started, you got to keep the bike. In one of the episodes, a builder put together quite a nice chopper rather easily (a rarity) and insisted it be kick start only. He had a whole day to get it started, so they pushed it out into the hot sun for him to kick it. And kick it. And kick it. He could not figure it out, went over everything, new battery, new ignition, triple checked wiring, switches, you name it. Sweating like a son of a gun. It's getting close to deadline, and he is in a panic. For the last 30 days, smoothe sailing. Now, the prospect that all the work was for nothing. All this time, Russel is just watching, letting the sweat build. Finally, with about 5 minutes to go, he says, "Did you check to see if there is a kick start mode on the ignition, instead of electric start? Electric start doesn't fire until 3rd rotation." Pandemonium! A scramble to set the ignition, a panic kick, and it fires off. Everybody erupts, clapping, yelling, congratulations all around. I think the guy was 8 seconds from having a heart attack.
That's what I think of when someone asks about a kickstart ignition.
My brain is weird.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: turboprop on June 25, 2020, 06:25:32 PM

Thanks,
Mark

If you remember about seven years ago I built an old trouble head FLH for my Brother Johny Bo (RIP). Bo was a double amputee (below the leg) that dreamed of having an old 93" trouble head with a kicker. I built him one as a retirement gift. That bike had every modern update I could leverage against it to include a Daytona Twin Tech nose cone module and a set of 3.0 ohh dual fire (factory style) coils. Also had a Mik45 and a bunch of other modern amenities. Bo could kick that bike over first kick. Amazing thing to watch.

Thanks!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JSD

I had kick start problems due to the retarding ignition so i made larger bob weight pin to limit total advance and let me use higher start advance

Hillside Motorcycle

My single plug, points-triggered 88" 1967 FLH lights up 3 kicks cold, 1/2 a kick warm.
If the timing is set correctly, valves correctly adjusted, and the carb is correct, and the engine is sound, it should be like turning a light switch on. :smile:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Deye76

Harpo, you runnin' a S&S Super B ?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

bobrk1

I ran two  6 volt coils  with  points  it ran  terrific , I  changed  to  electronic  ign  I  thought  it  ran  better  with  points .