March 29, 2024, 12:23:09 AM

News:

clutch questions

Started by johnk1173, June 22, 2020, 03:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnk1173

I pulled the clutch to replace the steel/friction/spring. when i run my finger over the grooves in on the hub it feels like there are burrs, it is not smooth. This should be replaced?

when i spin the hub, after removing the clutch, it does spin freely, but the basket and ring gear seem to move inwards and outwards slightly. I haven't measured how far yet. problem?

thanks -john

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Tom

Ironpig9

What symptom(s) caused you to replace the friction spring? Just curious and hoping to learn something that might come in handy in the future.
"The road goes on forever...."

kd

Quote from: johnk1173 on June 22, 2020, 03:44:54 PM
I pulled the clutch to replace the steel/friction/spring. when i run my finger over the grooves in on the hub it feels like there are burrs, it is not smooth. This should be replaced?

when i spin the hub, after removing the clutch, it does spin freely, but the basket and ring gear seem to move inwards and outwards slightly. I haven't measured how far yet. problem?

thanks -john

If you are referring to the grooves that the discs use to engage into the hub and basket, it is somewhat normal if not too excessive.  While apart take a fine file and lightly dress the "burrs" away and the discs will be more free when released.  You may even notice easier neutral or first gear engagement if the were bad enough.
KD

Norton Commando

Quote from: kd on July 09, 2020, 07:11:41 PM
Quote from: johnk1173 on June 22, 2020, 03:44:54 PM

thanks -john

If you are referring to the grooves that the discs use to engage into the hub and basket, it is somewhat normal if not too excessive.  While apart take a fine file and lightly dress the "burrs" away and the discs will be more free when released.  You may even notice easier neutral or first gear engagement if the were bad enough.

I agree, quite normal and as kd suggested, dress the areas lightly with a file to knock down the burrs and high points.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

guido4198

I'm kinda with Ironpig9...
What year bike, how many miles, and why were you replacing the spring in the fist place..??