April 24, 2024, 03:57:24 AM

News:

Spedometer Problem

Started by byf41, June 23, 2020, 07:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

byf41

I have a 2003 FXDL I bought new . Occasionally the speedometer will read exactly twice the actual speed . As soon as you key It off and re start It will read normally . The dealer looked at It a few times under warranty years ago and replaced the sensor but problem Is still there occasionally and seems to be getting more frequent . Connections at sensor terminal are clean and tight . Suggestions welcome .

rigidthumper

I remembered we had that issue on 99-01 speedos if the engine was started immediately after key on,  before the speedo reset was complete- I thought that problem went away by 2003, but maybe not. By waiting 2 seconds after key on, never saw that again.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

les

You mention that the speed sensor has been replaced years ago.  How long was the speedo solid/fixed after they did that?

byf41

It was never fixed and has happened occasionally since new . Last week It did It twice . Hadnt happened for months so I just thought I would Inquire . I like rigidthumpers explination , I will try to make a conscious effort to wait before lighting It off and see what happens . I thought It may have been due to where the reluctor wheel happens to stop , maybe on a gap or certain area of the wheel ?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Ensure the Data Wire from the ECM to the Spedo and pins are acceptable. models one or the other is defective, loose, or not making a good connection which eliminated the problem

I have found in the earlier (pre-07 and especially pre OB5 ECMs] have the issue.

And almost always fix's the issue.

I have also found the easiest way to identify is using DT-II or Centurion Pro the Speedometer will return "Module Not Found" occasionally for the Spedo.
Tom

mtrhead269

Just run one of the many GPS speedo options

byf41

Well I made sure to wait several seconds before start up and It did It again the other day so I guess that theory didn't work out . Where would I find the ecm on my 03 FXDL and which wire are we talking about that may cause the Issue ? I have a service manual but couldn't find that Information .

jty

ECM sends the speed to the speedometer over a digital protocol, among all the other information, thus not likely to be a wiring problem between ecm and speedo. I would suggest the issue is in either speedo or ecm.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office