April 25, 2024, 01:57:47 PM

News:

Primary and tranny full of oil.

Started by twincam8888, June 24, 2020, 09:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincam8888

My friend with a 2004 flhtcu CVO with 100,000 plus miles on it just brought his bike to me. He was on a long trip and the bike was "using" a lot of oil so he kept adding quarts until it started making noises and the hydraulic clutch started being inconsistent. it also started leaking oil out the derby cover. He had it towed back to our state. About 3.5 quarts of engine oil came out of the primary and oil ran out the transmission when I unscrewed the dipstick. the engine oil level was fine...... I assume the engine seal at the crank is bad and the primary got so full that oil migrated to the transmission too........ My question: Is there any other cause I should be considering?
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

les

I also assume the sprocket shaft seal is leaking.

twincam8888

Quote from: les on June 24, 2020, 10:29:48 AM
When I said engine oil seal at the crank I guess I should have used the term sprocket shaft seal (HD# 12068)

PoorUB

June 24, 2020, 04:13:22 PM #3 Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 08:21:37 PM by PoorUB
That is the only place to get oil from the engine to the primary, unless there is a hole in the crankcase.

I had it happen to my '05. We  were going on a ride with a bunch and met at the HD dealer. I was wearing earplugs so I didn't hear the lifters rattling when I pulled up, but the shocked look on people's faces told me something was wrong. Got my helmet off and ear plugs out and she was a rattling away, the lifters were collapsed from air in the oil, I would guess. I had checked the oil a couple days before so I was scratching my head for a minute. I though maybe an adjustable push rod come unscrewed so popped the push rod cover clips off and gave them a feel, all ok. Then I got thinking and pulled the dipstick and the oil didn't show on the stick. Unscrewed the derby cover and oil came running out. I ran into the dealership and bought a couple quarts of oil a couple gaskets and a crankshaft seal, dumped in the oil and rode it home. Tore it down and the seal was hard as a rock and split. shoved in the new seal and buttoned it up.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

:agree:

Hate those - Open the Cover and a sea of oil goes everywhere. MESSY.
Tom

aharp

I would be checking runout on the crank as well. If the sprocket shaft is whipping inside the seal then obviously a new seal will only delay the inevitable.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

les

Quote from: twincam8888 on June 24, 2020, 01:51:54 PM
When I said engine oil seal at the crank I guess I should have used the term sprocket shaft seal (HD# 12068)

And new spacer to go along with the seal.

twincam8888

chipthedonkey

Quote from: les on June 25, 2020, 06:05:39 AM

If one wanted to save the $25 or so that the spacer cost or if the dealer doesn't have it and you don't want to wait it can just be turned end for end.  It's the same on both ends so it won't change anything.  If you can feel anything at all with a fingernail where the seal rides you do need to either replace it or swap ends.  Just make sure you feel it.

les

Quote from: 2Lane on June 25, 2020, 02:38:57 PM
Quote from: les on June 25, 2020, 06:05:39 AM

If one wanted to save the $25 or so that the spacer cost or if the dealer doesn't have it and you don't want to wait it can just be turned end for end.  It's the same on both ends so it won't change anything.  If you can feel anything at all with a fingernail where the seal rides you do need to either replace it or swap ends.  Just make sure you feel it.

Good point.

twincam8888

Yes, I had looked at where the wear was on the race and saw that if it was flipped the seal would ride in new areas. If the dealer has a race or if I need to order the seal too I'll get a new race otherwise I'll flip the old one.
Thanks again.

FSG

I made my own race so that it provided extra support behind the rotor

a bit of the story below

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,73290.msg801532.html#msg801532

les