April 24, 2024, 09:57:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

HD Oil Cooler Thermostat

Started by KumaRide, June 27, 2020, 08:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KumaRide

2011 RK oem oil cooler t-stat is not working. Probably hasnt for awhile, probably years... Dont run with an oil temp gauge so never monitored temps.

A few years ago a guy was selling a replacement t-stat that fit both the Jagg adapters and HD adapter.  This leads me to believe the $30 Jagg t-stat would fit the HD adapter.  Im trying to confirm this but since its been a few years ago not having any success. I emailed Jagg and they said no and that buying their $170 adapter is required.

I could leave the t-stat out.  It seems that most of the oil would never go through the cooler though.

Thinking about fabricating or modifying the adapter or t-stat to block the bypass hole in the adapter. This would send all oil, hot and cold, all the time through the cooler.

Also, Im not fully convinced that a cooler is necessary on a bike that has a decatted header, cams and a tune that is richer then oem epa.

Suggestions appreciated.

fbn ent

If you need a t-stat all depends on where you ride...Florida, probably doesn't meed it. Canada, probably not a bad idea....
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Appowner

By thermostat are you referring to the oil filter adapter/by-pass valve?  That's the only part I know of containing a thermostat.  Based on your mentioned price I believe the filter adapter is what you have.  Yours is mounted where the oil filter screws on and the filter then screws to it?  Then unless you can figure a way of repairing that thing you'll need another.

However, these things are not "tied" or "Married" to the cooler.  IOW you could use a unit from say OilBud with a Jagg cooler.  Or vice versa.  Or, it would look klunky, but you could take a basic oil bypass valve and insert it into the lines between the adapter and the cooler.

Klunky:  https://www.denniskirk.com/jagg/automatic-oil-cooler-by-pass-valve-4050.p496595.prd/496595.sku

Last but not least, Dennis and Kirk offer the Jagg unit for $143.  Not quite 30 less than Jagg does.

https://www.denniskirk.com/jagg/oil-cooler-adapter-w-auto-thermostat-4700.p492469.prd/492469.sku

Personally I believe the thing can be rebuilt.  Mainly because D&K Sell Jagg valve parts.  So I'd have to take it apart and see what makes it tick.  Hey!  It's already broke.  So what can you do to it?

Parts:  https://www.denniskirk.com/jagg/automatic-oil-cooler-by-pass-valve-ak4050-t.p4903992.prd/4903992.sku

KumaRide

June 27, 2020, 10:43:40 AM #3 Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:00:14 AM by KumaRide
Quote from: Appowner on June 27, 2020, 10:10:58 AM
By thermostat are you referring to the oil filter adapter/by-pass valve?  That's the only part I know of containing a thermostat.  Based on your mentioned price I believe the filter adapter is what you have.  Yours is mounted where the oil filter screws on and the filter then screws to it?  Then unless you can figure a way of repairing that thing you'll need another.

However, these things are not "tied" or "Married" to the cooler.  IOW you could use a unit from say OilBud with a Jagg cooler.  Or vice versa.  Or, it would look klunky, but you could take a basic oil bypass valve and insert it into the lines between the adapter and the cooler.

Klunky:  https://www.denniskirk.com/jagg/automatic-oil-cooler-by-pass-valve-4050.p496595.prd/496595.sku

Last but not least, Dennis and Kirk offer the Jagg unit for $143.  Not quite 30 less than Jagg does.

https://www.denniskirk.com/jagg/oil-cooler-adapter-w-auto-thermostat-4700.p492469.prd/492469.sku

Personally I believe the thing can be rebuilt.  Mainly because D&K Sell Jagg valve parts.  So I'd have to take it apart and see what makes it tick.  Hey!  It's already broke.  So what can you do to it?

Parts:  https://www.denniskirk.com/jagg/automatic-oil-cooler-by-pass-valve-ak4050-t.p4903992.prd/4903992.sku

Yes, bypass valve on 2011 oem adapter that oil filter screws into.

Can you confirm the Jagg bypass valve for $30 will fit the 2011 oem oil filter adapter? They look the same but Jagg said it will not fit.

https://www.denniskirk.com/jagg/automatic-oil-cooler-by-pass-valve-ak4050-t.p4903992.prd/4903992.sku

To me it looks like the valve either blocks or unblocks the two channels/lines, in cooler and out cooler, in the adapter plate. Then again, it could also just partially block one of the oil line channels. Its difficult to get a correct measurement where the valve lands after installation because the spring collapses when the cap is installed.

Riding temps , the Sierras can be ~45 - windchill, or Sacramento valley 100+.

I read a few threads on another forum that Jagg recommends the bypass valve if riding below 35 degrees. More then one person stated this.

Appowner

Quote from: KumaRide on June 27, 2020, 10:43:40 AM
Quote from: Appowner on June 27, 2020, 10:10:58 AM

Yes, bypass valve on 2011 oem adapter that oil filter screws into.

Can you confirm the Jagg bypass valve for $30 will fit the 2011 oem oil filter adapter? They look the same but Jagg said it will not fit.

https://www.denniskirk.com/jagg/automatic-oil-cooler-by-pass-valve-ak4050-t.p4903992.prd/4903992.sku

Riding temps , the Sierras can be ~45 - windchill, or Sacramento valley 100+.

I read a few threads on another forum that Jagg recommends the bypass valve if riding below 35 degrees. More then one person stated this.

No, I'm afraid I can't confirm the parts will fit.  It's been years since I've played with these things.  I actually think the $30 part is for the klunky valve.  For changing the temps at which it does things.  But I'd still start by cracking open the old unit and see what makes it tick.  It's a temp responsive spring loaded valve.  How hard can it be?

KumaRide

This is not mine, its the Jagg but same size. Too small for me to rebuild... Also, I may want to modify it to block the bypass channel as mentioned earlier. Any attempt to rebuild could prevent future use.

chipthedonkey

One other alternative to consider.  The CVO bikes with the first generation 103 engine from 2003 (Road King) to 2006 had an oil cooler whose filter adapter had a thermostatic valve built in to the filter adapter.  That's the old bolt on filter adapter so obviously wouldn't help on a newer engine with the filter adapter as part of the engine casting.  If someone with an older engine goes looking for something like this and finds this thread, however, it's 26013-03. 

boooby1744

Nutoy

kumaride here is the harley #63059-09a oil cooler adaptor, New castle Harley has it for 153.99

Appowner

Quote from: KumaRide on June 27, 2020, 11:03:55 AM
This is not mine, its the Jagg but same size. Too small for me to rebuild... Also, I may want to modify it to block the bypass channel as mentioned earlier. Any attempt to rebuild could prevent future use.

Well again, how hard can it be?  You (or someone) got it apart.  The guts of the valve is a common design item in the automotive world.  Wouldn't surprise me that a decent auto parts store could come up with replacement parts.  I'd give both Jagg and Oil Bud a call and ask point blank, Can this be rebuilt/repaired?  And whoever says no wouldn't get any more of my money.

Or take your picture, measure the length of the thing, spring, widths etc and send them with the picture to D&K and ask if they have something that matches.

And if Harley has the adapter cast into the engine case of those models and years, they had best have rebuild parts for them.  Or do they expect one to replace and engine case for the failure of a bypass valve?

KumaRide

Thanks guys! Thanks boooby for the cheese:)  I looked at other manufacturers last night but never found the right one.

Also, Ward who used to sell Love Juggs and a lower temp tstat bypass valve thermo actuator was asked what his replacement fits:

"Jagg adapters with tstat and HD adapters 2005 up...."

If his replacement fit both Jagg and HD, then the Jagg should fit the HD. Tempted to buy one and try it but for now I modified mine to be in the extended position so cooler is always functioning.  If required it can be removed in 5 mins for winter riding.  If a cost effective replacement shows up then it can be installed.

kd

KD

KumaRide

Quote from: Appowner on June 28, 2020, 06:08:29 AM
Quote from: KumaRide on June 27, 2020, 11:03:55 AM

Well again, how hard can it be?  You (or someone) got it apart.  The guts of the valve is a common design item in the automotive world.  Wouldn't surprise me that a decent auto parts store could come up with replacement parts.  I'd give both Jagg and Oil Bud a call and ask point blank, Can this be rebuilt/repaired?  And whoever says no wouldn't get any more of my money.

Or take your picture, measure the length of the thing, spring, widths etc and send them with the picture to D&K and ask if they have something that matches.

And if Harley has the adapter cast into the engine case of those models and years, they had best have rebuild parts for them.  Or do they expect one to replace and engine case for the failure of a bypass valve?

I drilled out the contents and their was a hard plastic piece, followed by rubber, then powder substance.  Black, dark, some brass shine to it that could be just from the actuator body itself or part of the mix. Their was no spring or metal, the drill bit entered easily and no metal came out. Maybe one of those wax actuators boooby pointed to.   :nix:

KumaRide

This is definitely a wax motor, thermal actuator... device.  Very interesting and common device. Automotive thermostats, dishwashers.. use them. Lots of power given the size from expanding wax when heated.

A guy on another forum is making a few non-functioning clones that are made in the active/extended length - all oil goes to cooler. These are very easy to r&r and will install in summer and remove when temps drop.

HighLiner

I upgraded to the Ward one when he was still selling them so if I can find my stock HD one I can send it to ya.

Thermodyne

I took the 180 oil stat out of my 11 103 and replaced it with a 160.  Didn't really help any on peak temps.

KumaRide

Quote from: Thermodyne on June 30, 2020, 05:33:03 PM
I took the 180 oil stat out of my 11 103 and replaced it with a 160.  Didn't really help any on peak temps.

I figured thats what would happen with the dummie tstat. The oil will reach temp, just take longer.

Appowner

Quote from: Thermodyne on June 30, 2020, 05:33:03 PM

I wouldn't think it should show a difference since your peak temps are probably higher than the fully open temp of both valves.  So both of them are opening all the way and cooling at max capabilities.  The only real difference would be the 160 taking a little longer to get to peak temp because at 160 it starts to use the cooler sooner.  But I doubt that difference would be more than a minute or two.

KumaRide

Quote from: HighLiner on June 30, 2020, 04:44:23 PM
I upgraded to the Ward one when he was still selling them so if I can find my stock HD one I can send it to ya.

Received the thermal actuator wax motor, aka t-stat, thank you!!

HighLiner

Quote from: KumaRide on July 27, 2020, 05:06:22 PM
Quote from: HighLiner on June 30, 2020, 04:44:23 PM

Received the thermal actuator wax motor, aka t-stat, thank you!!

:up: