May 05, 2024, 10:52:15 PM

News:

HD With VVT

Started by Nastytls, July 25, 2020, 03:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastytls

Likely an effort to remain compliant with emissions rather than gain any significant level of performance. It would probably be a gut punch to aftermarket cam suppliers.

https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/harley-davidson-files-patent-for-new-v-twin-engine-with-vvt.html

Buglet

About time Harley starts catching up with technology.

Ohio HD

I wonder how much complexity this adds to INDY tuning shops in the dyno room?

In my rudimentary understanding, they may have to run the motor load conditions to cover all of the changes the VVT system provides. But it's a speculation, and it would be interesting to know how the tune is accomplished.

chipthedonkey

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 25, 2020, 06:46:06 AM
I wonder how much complexity this adds to INDY tuning shops in the dyno room?

In my rudimentary understanding, they may have to run the motor load conditions to cover all of the changes the VVT system provides. But it's a speculation, and it would be interesting to know how the tune is accomplished.

Good guess that most Harley dyno shops may not have tuned a lot of Duc but I can think of the Multrstrada and Honda's VFR800 and.... forgetting something else.... some Suzuki I think that have VVT.  So a very few might have a little experience to speak from.

Hossamania

Ugly Dougly comes to mind when tuning Ducs, HDs, and other sport bikes. He could probably handle a new HD setup.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

There's no doubt it can be and is done on many manufacturers that use VVT. My curiosity is what may be different about the tuning process. Dealers will predominantly drop HD developed maps into their kits they sell.

I'm looking at the aspects of covering all possible ranges of variable valve timing under motor load conditions. Is the VVT going to be fixed at point A or point B of timing change? Or will it be actually variable within a fixed range, and if so, how do you tune the ranges?

Hybredhog

I "think" most companies using VVT are just dealing with the Exhaust side. But wouldn't closed loop tuners adapt quick enough to a changing mixture demands, same as a TPS?

On the other hand its just a patent application, and it'll be YEARS before it hits the streets, Electric vehicles could become dominate by then.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Ohio HD

I depends on the motor configuration, single cam, double cams, four cams as in the Sportster, only intake changes or exhaust changes. For example my 6.4 liter hemi has VVT, it's a single cam so both intake and exhaust change the same when the system activates.

I'm just really curious about the process to capture the motor conditions within all of the possible ranges. If it's strictly for example a 4 degree swing one way or the other, it's probably not that hard if the motor always uses that timing under the same conditions. I just have not really dove into VVT, but am curious as it approaches the HD world because I know a little about tuning them and the software used. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl__hrNkckI

chipthedonkey

Patent drawing from the cams' business end.  VVT unit #98 out on the end.

04 SE Deuce

July 25, 2020, 01:03:39 PM #9 Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:29:24 PM by 04 SE Deuce
Back to 2 cams #90.  Front cam looks to have centrifugal device #130.

chipthedonkey

Yeah, saw the advance wheel there.  Chain drive/gear drive setup.  By Harley standards it's not basic.  Wonder if they'd be ballsy enough to start something like this in a Sporty format and ramp it up to larger form factor?  Every time I think they've stretched the venerable V-Twin spud spud design as far as they dare they pull it out just a little more.  Someday soon there will have to be something that breaks the mold for the heavyweight bikes.

Ohio HD

Everything in red should be the VVT mechanism. In purple a geared rotational mechanism driven off the VVT orientation to the crank shaft, to the cams they want effected by the VVT unit. If not all, but It's not clear enough to know what's going on.

[attach=0]

jmorton10

Quote from: Hossamania on July 25, 2020, 10:00:14 AM
Ugly Dougly comes to mind when tuning Ducs, HDs, and other sport bikes. He could probably handle a new HD setup.

First person I thought of too.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS