March 28, 2024, 04:37:17 PM

News:

M8 big bore success stories

Started by riders1.jt, June 28, 2020, 01:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riders1.jt

Hi I'm new on here. So if I'm in the wrong place or posting a previously discussed topic my apologies. Anyways I am having my local dealer/tuner
install the Fuel Moto m8 124" big bore kit, woods valve springs, barnett scorpion clutch, bigger throttle body and injectors, and the latest factory oil pump. I have a 2017 FLHTK with 10k miles.  Just wanting to hear of any success stories with miles ridden with similar builds. Thanks

Nastytls

Why are you changing valve springs? What cam are you using? If you're going with a big enough cam to need different valve springs why aren't you getting port work done?

riders1.jt

The kit comes with the woods 408 cam and lifters. Valve springs are recommended with stock heads.

riders1.jt

Head work would've been nice but I couldn't afford it at this time. Stock heads with the woods springs should work for now. I'm hoping anyways..

riders1.jt

I'm just hoping that these kits are road worthy and reliable for long trips etc...
I'll check back in tomorrow to see if anyone chimes in.

RTMike

Your kit should work fine post the numbers after tuning ,we are all interested .

scotman623

Your build should bring you many happy miles and smiles my friend... Very hard for us to guess on reliability, way too many variables.... The main key is to have a very knowledgeable engine builder who is precise with installation... Keep us updated..
Always look forward...

riders1.jt

I'll post numbers soon. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

wfolarry

Which springs? The .600 lift springs don't fit without some work done.

riders1.jt

carlos3621

The woods 408 cam is a .520 lift.
I have this setup and ended up with 142/146 tq.
Have had zero issues so far

riders1.jt

wfolarry

goblue90

Quote from: riders1.jt on June 28, 2020, 04:06:23 PM
I'm just hoping that these kits are road worthy and reliable for long trips etc...
I'll check back in tomorrow to see if anyone chimes in.

I did a saddle sore 1,000 a week after getting my 124" S&S big bore kit installed.  No issues over the past few thousand miles of having it installed.

RTMike

Let's see the numbers and your take on the build.

riders1.jt

The SE extreme flow intake was on back order so there was a delay. Hopefully get it finished soon. Thanks for all of your replies... I'll let you know..

FLSTFIDave

My 130 inch was finished end of March.  I have just over 11,000 miles on the build.  Zero issues with it, weather its a 600 mile day of interstate or playing in the mountains and curves or group rides. 
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

riders1.jt

Well here's the numbers. I guess the conditions weren't optimal for the Dyno, hot, humid, etc. I need to get the oval big air breather instead of the arrow too.
But my butt Dyno is amazed with the difference! Just logged 150 miles. No issues...

Gliding Joe

You mentioned no money for head work, the cost of head work in my opinion does not provide enough gains to warrant it unless your chasing all you can get.  As you noted there are a few things that could improve this build, more air and more fuel. A 64 mm throttle body & larger AC unit will certainly give you some nice gains in numbers.  The bottom line is, As long as your happy with it that all that matters in the end.
As for the reliability of these big bore kits, I have clocked 10K on my 124" build, blows away the 117" HD kit both in performance and reliability. No more sumping, less heat and honestly the smoothest and quietest the engine has been is after the big bore kit.

Ride it with smiles and enjoy your build

riders1.jt

I totally agree with what you're saying. I have the Fuel Moto ac/dc kit with 1" taller element on order. I tried talking my builder into the 64mm tb and intake but he likes the velocity of the 55mm SE extreme flow intake. As far as noise and heat, it runs way cooler and quieter. My fans don't kick on nearly as much or as long👍😎. Thanks

riders1.jt

Also are you using a pre filter a.k.a rain sock on yours in case of a downpour? I have one coming, but it involves removing the breather cover and slipping it on🙄... Thanks again

boggart

riders1.jt

:hug:Vance and Hines power duals with eliminator 400...

98fxstc

I would be taking that bike to get a decent tune

riders1.jt

The bikes tuned very well. In fact the power vision came with the base map for my setup. She just needs more air. That's why you see the big dip on the intital throttle. I agree the lines aren't perfect. Guess I'll see what the bigger air breather does. She idles, runs, and sounds great. Just hesitates if you crack the throttle... If you roll into it there's no problem. I'll let you know what the Fuel Moto ac/dc kit with big element does...Thanks