March 28, 2024, 12:38:16 PM

News:

M8 big bore success stories

Started by riders1.jt, June 28, 2020, 01:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riders1.jt

My apologies guys.  I guess I never did mention the original builder in this never ending thread. The original builder put the fuelmoto 124" kit for a 114 M8 in my bike which is a 107" M8 if you can believe that. After I specifically told them to order the 107" M8 kit. So they didn't check the deck height etc. during the build.

Hossamania

Thanks for that feedback. Hopefully they will take the info and use it going forward. And hopefully compensate you.
I also have a question, would a compression test have shown this issue, or at least lead to the problem?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

riders1.jt

Thank you and yes a compression test would have shown the shortfall. That's what I did on my own per Jamie's instructions. My original builder couldn't believe these kits produce 200+ per cylinder. They really pushed their stage 4 HD product and demeaned the fuelmoto kit which really upset me.. I am happy now knowing these fuelmoto kits are for real..TQ and HP!

RTMike

Thanks for the feed back,glad everything worked out.It's nice to see this day and age of plastic and BS that someone stood behind there product and fixed the problem,and the problem really wasn't his.Looks good on you Jamie for taking care of a customer and fixing the problem.

kd

Thanks for the details.  Good on Jamie too.  I find it hard to believe a builder that could find themselves re$pon$ible for a mi$take didn't confirm all measurements during assembly.  Lesson learned for all I guess.
KD

FXDBI

Quote from: kd on January 03, 2021, 09:38:50 AM
Thanks for the details.  Good on Jamie too.  I find it hard to believe a builder that could find themselves re$pon$ible for a mi$take didn't confirm all measurements during assembly.  Lesson learned for all I guess.

That guy isnt a engine builder,  guy is a parts changer only. Probilly uses a =/- 20% torque wrench has well.  Things like this remind me why I wont even let anyone else change my oil.   Bob

Hossamania

No Cents

I'm glad Jamie was able to get it handled for you!  :up:

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

DTTJGlide

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the piston is 1/16" below the cylinder deck surface :doh:, as FXDBI said they just slap parts on! They should compensate you for the trouble & cost since you told them the right kit to buy.

FLSTFIDave

How could the builder not notice the pistons were so low in the cylinder.  That is obvious low, not just a few thousandths. 

Builders always check and double check deck height
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

Buglet

I had a similar situation years ago with cams  The cams I was using work go for what I was doing, used a bunch of them. Until one day one set was not doing what it was suppose to. Call the vendor with no real answer of what was going on, after checking ever thing come to find out he change the duration on the cam without changing the part number of the cam or give you any clue it was different.. I ask him way he didn't change the part number he couldn't give me no answer. From that day on all his cams had superseded part numbers ever time he did any changers to the cam. I still wish he made the original cam.     

riders1.jt

Two totally different kits for different applications. No excuse for this. I was crystal clear on what I wanted. Plus they had serviced my bike and done other work so they knew the year and motor...

Jamie Long

A short version is the dealer that installed the kit ordered a 128 kit rather than a 124, this was documented and is clearly listed on their sales invoice and packing list. They installed the kit obviously not checking deck height, cranking compression etc, and when the dyno numbers came out low they threw everyone under the bus. We got the bike in and it cranked 160 ccp and first assumed the cam timing was off, upon disassembly we found the wrong pistons. Cleaned the cylinders up, swapped pistons, reassembled and gave it a full dyno tune and all was well.   

Buglet

Glad it all went well.  That's what the say is to double and triple check ever thing.

Scotty

Quote from: FLSTFIDave on January 04, 2021, 03:29:39 AM
How could the builder not notice the pistons were so low in the cylinder.  That is obvious low, not just a few thousandths. 

Builders always check and double check deck height

:agree: that is what I was thinking, surely that would have stood out just assembling it  :wtf:

Buglet

Apparently they did not rotate the motor, they just assembly it with out checking to see if ever thing was right. Just like it was on the assembly line. Easy enough if you don't check for it.

riders1.jt

Just kicked the tires and lit the fires. Totally different bike. Road highway, interstate, and around town. It's more fun than I could of imagined! 😎

Hossamania

HogMike

It's a shame you had to miss 6 months of riding and probably a few more $$$ to get this straightened out!

I have a 124 in my M8 and just did a gas mileage check with the normal route and load that I usually carry.
44 MPG is amazing considering slow twisties, long grades, freeway at 80, and everything in between.
I think you will really like that motor. Way fun and passing power right where you need it!

JMHO, of course. :chop:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Ohio HD

That's a real shame. Those pistons were + 0.060" down the cylinder, a blind man could see that. I would bet they didn't even turn the motor over once during assembly, other than to place the cylinders over the pistons.

Just a bad deal all around for the OP. 

ziggy24

Quote from: Jamie Long on January 04, 2021, 10:12:47 AM
A short version is the dealer that installed the kit ordered a 128 kit rather than a 124, this was documented and is clearly listed on their sales invoice and packing list. They installed the kit obviously not checking deck height, cranking compression etc, and when the dyno numbers came out low they threw everyone under the bus. We got the bike in and it cranked 160 ccp and first assumed the cam timing was off, upon disassembly we found the wrong pistons. Cleaned the cylinders up, swapped pistons, reassembled and gave it a full dyno tune and all was well.   

Good thing this wasnt the other way around!  Although as soon as they spun the engine and it locked up they would have found it!