Anyone used the v-factor stay-put inner primary mainshaft bearing race?

Started by Scotty, June 28, 2020, 04:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Has anyone used the v-factor stay-put inner primary mainshaft bearing race? opposed to using the S&S one?
Under half the price but concerned about quality.
https://www.mid-usa.com/74629-vfactor-stayput-inner-primary-mainshaft-bearing-race-for-big-twin-5-speed

jmorton10

Looks like the exact same thing as the S&S.

How much is it ??

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Hossamania

Just for my own curiosity, what kind of price difference?
John beat me to it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

I would guess they're Chinese manufactured. I'd stick with S&S that are known to work.

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Scotty

Quote from: jmorton10 on June 28, 2020, 05:10:51 PM
Looks like the exact same thing as the S&S.

How much is it ??

~John

I only know the Australian prices but s&s $104 and v-factor $48

However on Ebay they are US dollars $22 for v-factor and $71 for s&s

Scotty

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 28, 2020, 05:28:20 PM
I would guess they're Chinese manufactured. I'd stick with S&S that are known to work.

I am just curious about them I have only used the S&S race myself but someone mentioned that they are made in China now as well.
Do not know the truth to that statement but it peaked my curiosity.

FSG

break out the Tig   :SM:  there's a few still running around Brissie that I've done

Scotty

Quote from: FSG on June 28, 2020, 07:45:43 PM
break out the Tig   :SM:  there's a few still running around Brissie that I've done

Did you tig the stock race on?  :pop:

FSG

yes   :SM:   you only need a spot which will stop it walking,  easy to dremel off later if need be

Scotty

Quote from: FSG on June 28, 2020, 08:43:01 PM
yes   :SM:   you only need a spot which will stop it walking,  easy to dremel off later if need be

Now if only I had a tig welder here...............have to get son to come around with his

speedzter

I used one a while back on my '00 FXD with a custom 120"
Hasn't done a lot of km's, but it hasn't failed .
It pressed on just fine as well.

Scotty

Quote from: speedzter on June 28, 2020, 09:27:13 PM
I used one a while back on my '00 FXD with a custom 120"
Hasn't done a lot of km's, but it hasn't failed .
It pressed on just fine as well.

That's good to hear............

wfolarry

I broke an S&S so they're not fail proof. Replaced it with a stock one. I've got a primary leak so I'll be checking it soon.

Scotty

Quote from: wfolarry on June 29, 2020, 03:04:49 AM
I broke an S&S so they're not fail proof. Replaced it with a stock one. I've got a primary leak so I'll be checking it soon.

That is the 2nd s&s one I have heard has cracked.................interesting

smoserx1

If you continue to press the shouldered races on after the race and main shaft tapers meet the race will crack.  I wouldn't hesitate to try the v-factor race.  I have one of their solenoid buttons on my starter and I'm using a mid-usa derby cover and both have been outstanding quality and were very inexpensive.

chipthedonkey

Why not use the Baker bearing that eliminates the race entirely?

Scotty

Quote from: 2Lane on June 29, 2020, 06:25:12 AM
Why not use the Baker bearing that eliminates the race entirely?

Heard of way to many of those the bearing going bad very quickly for whatever reason.

Quote from: smoserx1 on June 29, 2020, 06:15:17 AM
If you continue to press the shouldered races on after the race and main shaft tapers meet the race will crack.  I wouldn't hesitate to try the v-factor race.  I have one of their solenoid buttons on my starter and I'm using a mid-usa derby cover and both have been outstanding quality and were very inexpensive.

That is good to know.............thanks

les

There is a torque spec for the S&S.  I believe 35 ft/lbs?  I use a torque wrench when I install them.

chipthedonkey

Quote from: Scotty on June 29, 2020, 12:33:25 PM

Heard of way to many of those the bearing going bad very quickly for whatever reason.

Just heard of?  Or actually experienced it happening?  Whichever, fortunately, my experience has been positive.  Used several and have in both of my current touring bikes.  One has been in for about 25k miles and the other about 40k.

jsachs1

The honed 6205 bearing in the inner primary has no life. I've felt them bind up by just pressing them in the bore. No slip race is the way to go. Don't over torque it or it WILL crack. :dgust:
John

Scotty

Quote from: 2Lane on June 29, 2020, 12:52:41 PM
Quote from: Scotty on June 29, 2020, 12:33:25 PM

Just heard of?  Or actually experienced it happening?  Whichever, fortunately, my experience has been positive.  Used several and have in both of my current touring bikes.  One has been in for about 25k miles and the other about 40k.

Heard enough to not bother trying but kudos if it is working for you.

Scotty

Quote from: jsachs1 on June 29, 2020, 01:57:22 PM
The honed 6205 bearing in the inner primary has no life. I've felt them bind up by just pressing them in the bore. No slip race is the way to go. Don't over torque it or it WILL crack. :dgust:
John

Thanks John that is exactly what I have heard many times over the past few years although I am sure some people have no trouble with the honed 6205 I don't think I would bother based on what I have heard from a lot of experienced people.

jmorton10

I recently installed a Baker Grudgebox in my RK. 

I used the S&S race even though the Baker came with their bearing in the box.

The S&S will certainly crack if pressed on too far & I obviously wanted to avoid that happening.  I had to modify my Bandit clutch hub to get it to press on far enough before contacting the race but I thought it was worth it.

I have seen too many reports of the Baker bearing going bad at relatively low miles to put my faith in that.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS