April 18, 2024, 09:25:36 PM

News:

clutch

Started by david lee, July 01, 2020, 03:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

July 01, 2020, 03:25:10 AM Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:05:25 AM by david lee
i adjusted the clutch spring tension on my 5 stud belt hub as they were to tight. 80 lowrider.the nuts are at the end of adjustment. took it for a ride and no slip and changes gears a lot smoother.im a bit surprised by the improvement any thoughts.thanks

Hybredhog

The more travel & spreading you can give the plates to separate, the better, and with to much spring pressure it can compress the cable housing giving less travel. So its a very delicate balance to have enough to keep from slipping & to allow  maximum travel of the pressure plate. The Ramm jet plastic basket retainers really help in this area.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

david lee

i sure mine has this ram jet.it came with the primo belt set up.it slides over the hub fingers and held in place with cir clips that stops the hub shell shifting. correct ?. thank you

JW113

Dave... Clutch does not slip, gears engage smooth... Live is good!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

cant believe ive put up with a heavy clutch for 35 yrs when i knew nothing was worn out and a hd mech tell me thats just how they are. it feels a pleasure to ride now

Racepres

Quote from: david lee on July 01, 2020, 09:29:33 PM
cant believe ive put up with a heavy clutch for 35 yrs when i knew nothing was worn out and a hd mech tell me thats just how they are. it feels a pleasure to ride now
I never go with the "one size fits all" clutch pressure plate adjustment either... different Springs and compression while maintaining engagement integrity... all that is Required..
and a Ram Jett is a Very Large Help with clean/progressive Shovelhead Clutch...