Really? Please explain.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

thumper 823

Quote from: capn on July 03, 2020, 07:04:09 AM
Having used all three S&S e is by far the easiest to tune

Not much there to tune either...
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

capn

Two jets,no diaphram no slide no needle.

tdrglide

How about adding a thunder jet to the "E". With proper jetting more tunable now as far as better transition and eliminating flat spot?
I've been very happy with Mikuni carbs on past 1340 bikes. Smooth power without stumble. Would be my recommendation to anyone else. But the S&S looks cool on my fxr :SM:

Hossamania

Once my CV44 craps out, if I can't find another, I'm going Mikuni. I don't care if it rattles, just adds character, like a Ducati dry clutch rattle. Maybe be I'll add one of those hypercharger thingies and get the double rattle going.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

thumper 823

I will send you a fixable CV if you promise not to pout a POS hypercharger on.

what a waste of MONEY!

tdrglide

Quote from: Hossamania on July 04, 2020, 08:43:41 AM
Once my CV44 craps out, if I can't find another, I'm going Mikuni. I don't care if it rattles, just adds character, like a Ducati dry clutch rattle. Maybe be I'll add one of those hypercharger thingies and get the double rattle going.
Add thunder header with loose baffle, done!  :SM:

The flat slide rattle never really bothered me. Especially with stock ish cams

Ohio HD

Or you can support US products and give Lectron a go.

https://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/4t/harley-davidson/harley.html

Julio

LOL

"the S&S is just a Glorified Bendix..."

One of the best descriptions of the S&S I've read.

As for ease of tuning, let's not forget the accelerator pump adjustment screw.

As far as the Chinese copy of a Japanese carb you can't buy new anymore, I bought one of them. Cheapest I could find, ~$85 shipped to my house. I expected Harbor Freight quality, but I was seriously surprised. I tore it down looking for imperfections and found none. Even the float was set at the correct level. I dropped a CVP needle and the jets I needed, installed it, backed the slow jet screw 1/2 a turn out and the bike starts and runs great. It replaced a pre-2003 S&S Super E. It came with a fixed slow jet that made the bike hard to start and idle like crap. Off idle, the S&S was fine.
YMMV

tdrglide

Very interesting. Me like. Unfortunately at that price level I just may have to suffer for awhile.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Deye76 on July 04, 2020, 11:00:20 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 04, 2020, 09:46:41 AM

Or you can support US products and give Lectron a go.

Lectron were snowmobile carbs, and didn't work well on Harley's years ago, but have come a really long way since then. When I have to replace the carb on my FXR, it will be a Lectron.

My buddy Butch and I put a Lectron on his 84" Shovel. I want to say it was 38mm, but I'm not certain. This must have been around 1982, 1983 I think. It was actually a kit for Harley's, it had a cable, throttle, air breather, he bought it at a long gone Harley dealer in Dayton Kentucky. For the life of me I can't recall their name.

The Shovel ran very nice, smooth, easy to start, was a great addition to the bike. He took off an S&S Super B which had their issues. The 'B' carb was never actually designed for street use.

Deye76

Brian, when my friend and I tried it, was on a Shovel, 1976.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

July 04, 2020, 01:48:15 PM #37 Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 01:52:29 PM by Ohio HD
They did got better John.   :up:

I remember earlier I think guys were taking the carburetors as setup for off road trail bikes. Lectron used to be an upgrade from the old Bing carburetors on Husqvarna and other brands that I can't remember. I remember it took some fiddling to get the Shovel running decent.

Seem to remember the kit had a couple of needles. Been a long time ago. 

wfolarry

Deye76

July 11, 2020, 02:03:26 PM #39 Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 04:06:13 PM by Deye76
  :up:WFOLarry. Nothing wrong with a S&S especially one "worked". I've run B's E's and G's on Pan Shovel Evo, all over the country, in different altitudes, never missed a beat. Back in the early 1990's we were walking down main street in Sturgis, 6 or 7 out of 10 bikes had S&S carbs. Are they the best? None mentioned in this thread are the best. All comments, including mine are subjective.  :hug: 
Bottom line: success comes in many forms.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Burnout

The BEST carb is one you can relate to and are able to adjust as needed.

A 2 circuit carb is easy to get running but will not likely work well in all conditions.
I liken a 2 circuit carb to a barn door for air and a fire hose for fuel (poor regulation).

I like slide throttle valves because they have a more linear throttle response and a variable venturi.
So even if the carb is too big, the VV will still meter fuel well at less than WFO.
A VV in steady state will provide way better fuel atomization and metering than a big butterfly carb.

Don't confuse dyno numbers or drag race results with street use.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

thumper 823

Or the added Thunder Jet as something so special.  ^^^

turboprop

Quote from: 1340evo on July 01, 2020, 01:59:51 PM
Just wondered what you guy's think. I have a stock (or so I think, the bike is std bore but may have had head work, and has V&H open shotguns) 1340 FXR motor running a CV carb, but did see on a invoive that came with the bike, the guy before me had bought a S&S for it.
Maybe he took it off and put the CV on to sell or maybe it didn't run right with the S&S? Anything other than you asking him is speculation. Might as well be asking the arm chair crowd about space, politics or religion.

anyway, I see a few coming up on E-bay every so often so thought It may be worth getting a S&S to try? Not really.

I guess for a stock bike with mods I need a Super E and not a G ??... ... so is the Super E big enough?  Yes.

And will it be any better / easier to tune than the CV carb? No/No. Will add that easier to tune is too vague. Will changing the jets in a Super be easier than changing jets and pins in a CV yes Will it result in a better tune, no it wont. IME, while changing the hardware is easier on a Super, achieving a tune equivalent to that of a CV is difficult if not impossible.

Nothing wrong with the CV, I guess I'm just messing...If you want to mess around, install an AFR ratio monitor with a live display on your bike and see what your tune looks like for a few months. Then if you want to mess around, you will have a clinical base line to compare to vs listening to internet experts.

There are a bunch of post of this forum and every other forum about which jets, pins and shims to use for various engines with a CV carb. This isn't like fuel injection.  What ever the OEM jets where for an 80" evo, your little 80" with head work is not that far what everyone else is running in their little 80" engines.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

screem

:agree:

turboprop

Quote from: screem on July 12, 2020, 04:46:39 PM
:agree:

Easiest to change hardware or easiest to get a good tune are very different.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

thumper 823

Most people have no clue about a tune, what their AFR is, and still think they can read plugs.
The simple part is that even if the gas was NOT tainted, reading plugs take the expertise of Smoky Yunick.
Albeit tons of articles read and talk all about just the color.
There is so much more!
The simple AFR installed on your bike makes even the idiot almost an expert and does away with guesswork.

Scotty

Quote from: thumper 823 on July 12, 2020, 05:25:13 PM
Most people have no clue about a tune, what their AFR is, and still think they can read plugs.
The simple part is that even if the gas was NOT tainted, reading plugs take the expertise of Smoky Yunick.
Albeit tons of articles read and talk all about just the color.
There is so much more!
The simple AFR installed on your bike makes even the idiot almost an expert and does away with guesswork.

I can still read plugs I have some in front of me. One says NGK and other says Harley Davidson.
But yes a AFR meter is really the only way to properly dial in carb or EFI.
It's amazing just what the different needles on a CV will make let alone the jets.

PJultra

I've never had or used an AFR meter.
What would I look for in a meter? What brand/model would you guys suggest.
I type in "AFR meter for carburetor" in my search bar but way too much stuff pops up.
98 Ultra Classic  FLHTCU<br />78 Low Rider FXS

Ohio HD

Ohio HD

Here's a lot of info to sift through, but all HD related. You may even notice a members bike here.

https://rbracing-rsr.com/rsrgauge.htm