March 28, 2024, 02:09:09 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Best carb for a 1340?

Started by 1340evo, July 01, 2020, 01:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper 823

HD is only about 100 years behind in technolgy compared to modern engines.
Variable stroke,
Variable manifold runners,
Variable cam timing and all sorts of stuff.
Those of us that love or at least or find more horsepower interesting grab all the
information we can!
If we have trespassed The HD low HP per cubic inch formula, we need to then  look at other engine reading parameters.
I do hear others scoff at AFR gauges but I am so sure they are so much smarter then the geniuses that run dyno stalls.
DO yourself a favor -along with CR jumps install a AFR gauge.
No guess work required from that point on!
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

turboprop

Quote from: PJultra on July 18, 2020, 06:52:22 PM
I've never had or used an AFR meter.
What would I look for in a meter? What brand/model would you guys suggest.
I type in "AFR meter for carburetor" in my search bar but way too much stuff pops up.

Dont type in AFR meter for carburator. Instead, simply try searching AFR gauge. The better ones will be at the top. Instead of humming and hawing about brand or any other superficial nonsense, look at the type of sensor used. You want one with a wide-band sensor, preferably the later Bosh 4.9 but there is nothing wrong with a system that uses the 4.2 sensor. What is important is how the gauge can be mounted on the bike. For this reason, I am now using a Daytona Twin Tech Wego III, not the best, but I like its form factor. It is attached to the handle bar clamp using velcro. I am sure many others will come along to tell you that what they have is the best. For what you will be doing, it doesn't make a difference. Get one with a wide band sensor that you can easily mount on your bike in a place where you can easily see it. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 18, 2020, 08:28:30 PM
Here's a lot of info to sift through, but all HD related. You may even notice a members bike here.

https://rbracing-rsr.com/rsrgauge.htm

Contrary to the general consensus here, that narrow band system from RD Racing served me very well. Dam was it accurate and quick. Was somewhat tricky at first with a carb, but once the tune in the zone where the gauge operated, it worked very well. I used it to dial in the MIk48 on the Taj-Man-Motor.  After a few months of street tuning I thought the tune was close enough to take to a pro for a dyno tune. The guys in the speed shop at Ray Price Harley know a thing or two about tuning big engines with carbs. They could not find one extra calorie of power by changing the tune in the Mik48, but they were very helpful at building a custom ignition map. They were amazed at how perfect the carb was set up and remarked how they NEVER see bikes that were street tuned come in that close.

Bottom line, that RB Racing narrow band AFR gauge is a great tool that works very well, but it is not for the masses.

thumper 823

The wide band from AEM works really well too .

turboprop

They all work well. Regardless of brand on the box. Approaching TC lifter thread status.

thumper 823

There is no reason to install AFR unless you are modifing the engine, then you need a wide band .

Burnout

A narrow band sensor will "work" in the internet sense.
But a narrow band sensor is only accurate at 14.7, and they are actually switching type sensors designed to switch rapidly for an unbalanced system.
An unbalanced system works by switching rapidly from rich to lean to maintain an average AFR.

A wide band sensor is accurate from 10:1 to 22:1
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

PJultra

Quote from: JW113 on July 01, 2020, 08:27:24 PM
Quote from: thumper 823 on July 01, 2020, 05:42:59 PM
Just say NO to Chinese crap.
It never works very well

This is coming from someone that has never bought a chinese crap CV. I have.

As far as I can tell, they are no different than the original Keihin CV carb. I bought one from Ebay just to check it out. It has functioned identical to any Japanese made CV that I have ever owned. I have one on one of my favorite bikes, and it is functioning perfectly. Anybody that wants to badmouth these carburetors, please put up some evidence that they are not quality. My experience has found they are very good. But, you judge for your self.

-JW

I noticed that these carbs do not have a fitting for the overflow tube. Does this mean that it really isn't necessary? Or would the float bowl cover off of a '96 CV bolt right on allowing use of an overflow tube?
I have a '96 that broke where the air cleaner bolts on.
98 Ultra Classic  FLHTCU<br />78 Low Rider FXS

thumper 823

PJultra

Ebay used CV? Or New knock off CV????
I can find used with cruise control bracket, but either may be a gamble.

thumper 823

I am pretty sure the genuine HSR 42 all have an overflow .

There are a LOT of knock off countefits out there and ya gets whats ya paid for.

PJultra

Quote from: thumper 823 on August 02, 2020, 01:03:24 PM
I am pretty sure the genuine HSR 42 all have an overflow .

There are a LOT of knock off countefits out there and ya gets whats ya paid for.

I was talking about the CV knock offs. But I did find a knock off with the overflow fitting.
But looking at used genuine CV's on Ebay, I found that some of the 2000's and up did not have an overflow fitting.

JW113

HD eliminated the overflow/vent tube due to EPA requirements sometime in the mid-90s. The bowl now vents to the front of the air horn. Although it was handy to be able to drain the fuel bowl prior to removing it, not having it there is certainly not a deal breaker.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber