March 28, 2024, 06:55:00 AM

News:

Opinion: Electra Glide emblem or no?

Started by JW113, July 03, 2020, 08:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

OK dudes, I'd like some opinion from my interweb pals. My '77 FLH front fender was smoothed over by a previous owner, and does not have the holes for the Electra Glide emblem, which is stock for this model. I can see the marks on the inside of the fender where the holes were for the emblem mount. I bought a couple of factory emblems, and am now toying with the idea, do I drill them out and mount the emblems, or leave well enough alone?

My fender:

[attach=0]

Your opinions are welcomed.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Ohio HD

I like a cleaner look, just like you have now.

Tommy D

Quote from: JW113 on July 03, 2020, 08:39:23 PM
OK dudes, I'd like some opinion from my interweb pals. My '77 FLH front fender was smoothed over by a previous owner, and does not have the holes for the Electra Glide emblem, which is stock for this model. I can see the marks on the inside of the fender where the holes were for the emblem mount. I bought a couple of factory emblems, and am now toying with the idea, do I drill them out and mount the emblems, or leave well enough alone?

My fender:

[attach=0,msg1353483]

Your opinions are welcomed.

-JW

Classic script emblem fits the model & era

That's my .02
Acts 4:12

jls 64

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 03, 2020, 08:42:36 PM
I like a cleaner look, just like you have now.

:agree: i like the cleaner look.
js

Hossamania

Maybe find some repops or cheap used take offs and temp glue them on to see if you like the look.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on July 03, 2020, 10:18:41 PM
Maybe find some repops or cheap used take offs and temp glue them on to see if you like the look.
i agree. just use double sided tape. wont mark the paint

Hogman

Quote from: Hossamania on July 03, 2020, 10:18:41 PM

TOTALLY AGREE! Brother Hoss Nailed it right there! As for Me, I Always thought they added a bit of CLASS...... Of course that's Just MY OPINION. I found That out with my old 83, Night & Day Difference!!!!!

ME

ME
Hogman

david lee

cant go back after drilling holes. i like it as is

Breeze

I like the script on a fender, BUT that is nice paint. :scratch:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

PoorUB

It is not as simple as "just drill them out". You might not mess up the paint, but you lose the paint "seal" around the holes. Rust will start to form and the paint will fail around the holes, unless you do it properly and seal the holes.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

Rather than drill the holes, they could be glued on.
That is a nice clean looking fender, though.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Reddog74usa

I think the Electra Glide script is on of the coolest Harley ever produced and since it is an FLH Electra Glide I would just have to have it on there. The chrome against that blue would be awesome.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

fbn ent

I like it on my bagger but I think I like yours clean.

[attach=0]
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

JW113

Thanks all! Although I've not quite decided how to proceed, the suggestion to glue/tape these on instead of drilling the fender is an excellent idea. Believe it or not, the stock H-D emblems (p/n 59196-65) are still available, and they're only $7.82 each! So I'll dremel the posts off them, get some of that auto emblem double back tape, and just stick them on. A totally reversible exercise.

Great idea, thanks!
-JW

kd

I think they'd probably look better than fbn's.   :potstir:  Without the bumper mounted and the running light it's a whole different look.   Bring up the pic of his bike and cover the bumper and you'll see what I mean.

If I were you, I would lay all of the emblems out and save the most cherry pair for mounting later if they grow on you.
KD

fbn ent

Yeah kd....I've been toying with taking some weight off of it but we've been close to death so many times in 32 years I'm having a hard time changing it.

96flhpi

Quote from: JW113 on July 04, 2020, 12:08:16 PM
Thanks all! Although I've not quite decided how to proceed, the suggestion to glue/tape these on instead of drilling the fender is an excellent idea. Believe it or not, the stock H-D emblems (p/n 59196-65) are still available, and they're only $7.82 each! So I'll dremel the posts off them, get some of that auto emblem double back tape, and just stick them on. A totally reversible exercise.

Great idea, thanks!
-JW

Yep, my last set of tins had them stuck with 3M emblem tape for years, no issues and totally reversible.  Just prepare to explain to the un-informed that yes, it is a REAL Electra Glide.  Has more meaning behind the name than the one they're thinking of too.

fbn ent

July 05, 2020, 09:42:21 AM #17 Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:49:08 AM by fbn ent
Quote from: kd on July 04, 2020, 12:18:19 PM
I think they'd probably look better than fbn's.   :potstir:  Without the bumper mounted and the running light it's a whole different look.   Bring up the pic of his bike and cover the bumper and you'll see what I mean.

If I were you, I would lay all of the emblems out and save the most cherry pair for mounting later if they grow on you.

FYI...That fugly bumper deflected the deer I hit upward, sideways and below my right elbow....it took off my ditch lite on the way by.

AND..yes I know the fender bling isn't accurate but I like it.

kd

Quote from: fbn ent on July 05, 2020, 09:42:21 AM
Quote from: kd on July 04, 2020, 12:18:19 PM

FYI...That fugly bumper deflected the deer I hit upward, sideways and below my right elbow....it took off my ditch lite on the way by.

AND..yes I know the fender bling isn't accurate but I like it.

:hyst: :hyst: Is the heat getting to you?  A little sensitive there buddy?   Did I touch a sore spot?   :teeth:
KD

fbn ent

Heat...?  :hyst: :hyst: It's been cool and raining here for like ten days...THAT's getting to me. Stop picking on my baby!!  :teeth:

fbn ent

Nice!!  :up:
Blue sure does light up the chrome doesn't it.

crock

When I redid my 73 a few years back I went with the stuff I liked the most. First I drilled out the rivets and lowered and welded the brackets, then i went with "DUO-GLIDE" emblems ff a 58, Tank badges off a 65 and a tombstone tail light off a 47. These are the years I like the most about Harley. Most people don't notice but those that do will ask why. I do have to say the clean look with that color, I can see why your on the fence
Crock

motorplex88

If you know how, photoshop the emblem in to see if you like it. That way no paint to harm. I don't know how to do that kind of stuff but it is kinda neat to get comparisons .  Personally I'd leave it alone.

JW113

Great minds think alike! I'm trying to get my daughter to do just that, photo shop them in a picture. That said, trying to get a teenage to do anything they don't want to is almost futile. Need to get some sort of "carrot".
:SM:

-JW