April 23, 2024, 10:39:39 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Best mech advance

Started by 96flhpi, July 04, 2020, 03:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

96flhpi

Is the Rivera stainless steel still considered the best available?  I don't think they're still making complete units, at least they're not listed on their website (only rebuild kits), but found some still in stock at a couple of sites.

Also found this, comparable price, made in USA, anyone have any experience with them?
https://americanprimemfginc.com/product/1104-0001-comp-master-advance-unit/

Please don't bother with convert to electronic ignition comments - the 2 times I couldn't get home on my own was because of sudden electronic ignition failure, yet I made it home with one of the contacts missing from a set of points.

RTMike

That one will work fine ,and they aren't expensive.

guppymech

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the American Prime advance unit comes with a points cam.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

96flhpi

Quote from: guppymech on July 04, 2020, 06:26:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the American Prime advance unit comes with a points cam.

The Rivera unit isn't pictured with one either but I have a couple.  Thanks for replies.

72fl

American Prime IS the result of a Long Time Rivera Employee

96flhpi

Quote from: 72fl on July 05, 2020, 05:12:04 AM
American Prime IS the result of a Long Time Rivera Employee

Good info thanks

RTMike

You need a points conversion kit it has the whole 9 yards.

96flhpi

Quote from: RTMike on July 05, 2020, 11:44:07 AM
You need a points conversion kit it has the whole 9 yards.

It's had points for so long the advance is worn out and needs to be replaced. :teeth:

capn

Keep those points with a new advance unit.American Prime suppossed to be US made.