April 19, 2024, 01:38:29 PM

News:

Anti-Gravity Re-Start battery in big motors

Started by Azgunner, July 05, 2020, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azgunner

I know there are at least a few guys using the AG Re-Start batteries in theier 124" motors. Were any of you aware of this warning notice at the bottom of AG's web page & if anyone has questioned AG about it?  https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atx20-rs/

Please Note: For Custom V-Twin applications with Motor sizes over 103 Cubic Inches, and when a higher compression, or modified motor is being used we do not recommend the RE-START version of our Batteries due to the extremely high current draw of these Larger V-Twin Motors.  Please use the following models for Large V-Twin Applications: YTX20,  YTX12-24,  YTX12-20, or V-10.

I just ordered a new Twin Power li-ion bat. My old one made it 3 years, wiith 2 Az. summers. I was reading about the AG Re-Start having 680 cca & wished I'd seen it sooner. Curious about the bigger than 103", high comp. warning though.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

FXDBI

Don't see it being a problem they spin and start a well tuned engine like it isn't even there. The restart feature will keep you from killing the battery if you run it down it wont let the voltage drop to where the battery is done.  There are a few members here with them, mine is a older 720ccp model hasn't missed a beat in 6 years.  Bob

kd

July 05, 2020, 07:16:43 PM #2 Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 07:50:32 PM by kd
Quote from: Azgunner on July 05, 2020, 06:17:38 PM
I know there are at least a few guys using the AG Re-Start batteries in theier 124" motors. Were any of you aware of this warning notice at the bottom of AG's web page & if anyone has questioned AG about it?  https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atx20-rs/

Please Note: For Custom V-Twin applications with Motor sizes over 103 Cubic Inches, and when a higher compression, or modified motor is being used we do not recommend the RE-START version of our Batteries due to the extremely high current draw of these Larger V-Twin Motors.  Please use the following models for Large V-Twin Applications: YTX20,  YTX12-24,  YTX12-20, or V-10.

I just ordered a new Twin Power li-ion bat. My old one made it 3 years, wiith 2 Az. summers. I was reading about the AG Re-Start having 680 cca & wished I'd seen it sooner. Curious about the bigger than 103", high comp. warning though.

Give them a call and ask for Scott Schafer. He'll explain it to you better than I could.

The restart batteries have a safety shut off before they get so low they are damaged. (switch, lights or radio left on or security / Lojack for extended periods of absence) They have a button you press to turn them back on and a reserve power supply to allow cranking draw.  They were supposed to get a remote to do this but were delayed due to other priorities. Other automotive batteries did but not the motorcycle models yet.  :nix: The button is on the battery so the seat (touring) or battery cover would have to be removed to access it.  Some of the other batteries can be reset by touching them with 12 volts (or a jumpstarter) and will turn back on the same as a restart. 

I have the ATX-30-HD 970 CCA touring battery as was recommended for my 120 high compression engine when I discussed it with Scott. It has a lower limit before it shuts down allowing more cranking and a 3 year warranty too.  I also have the Battery Tracker (blue toothed to my phone) and it cranks at 11.7 volts which I think is phenomenal. It returns to 100% chg and 13.5 volts after 10 revolutions of cranking by jumping the solenoid so it doesn't start. It turns over so fast with the key on and start button that it starts before both cylinders hit.
KD

jmorton10

I bought one so long ago it isn't even in their data base anymore.

It still spins my HC 124 like the plugs are out.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Deye76

Have a Antigravity 680 CCA in my 113" FXR, almost can't get your finger off the button fast enough.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

dirt1954

Are you guys using stock starters or the higher kw aftermarket?

Appowner

Question about the care and feeding of these batteries.  I know they require a special charger/tender.  That's not an issue.  But during down time (winter, etc) do you guys leave it on a tender for days, weeks or even months at a time?

kd

Quote from: dirt1954 on July 06, 2020, 07:33:20 AM
Are you guys using stock starters or the higher kw aftermarket?

4 5/8" stroke, 120 cu in, 11.3:1 w/ +205# CCP using an OEM 2011 103 starter.

Quote from: Appowner on July 06, 2020, 07:38:57 AM
Question about the care and feeding of these batteries.  I know they require a special charger/tender.  That's not an issue.  But during down time (winter, etc) do you guys leave it on a tender for days, weeks or even months at a time?

My charger was purchased with my battery from AntiGravity and has a tender function.  Because I have security and LoJack theft recovery I leave it on the tender instead of disabling.
KD

Hossamania

I occasionally disconnect my tenders just to let everything rest and cool down for a few days.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Deye76

The idea of a "tender", is to leave it on, when the battery is at full charge the tender goes to sleep, only comes on when the battery needs charging. There's a difference between tender and charger. When I get home I always plug it in and leave it. I have 3 bikes, on tenders.

Hossamania

I still like to unplug them once in a while.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FXDBI

No tender here I remove the battery for the winter, run it a cycle on the chatger and let it sit until spring inside. I run it thru a cycle on the charger before putting it back.  Bob

Buglet

Some tenders never turn of completely. One of the most popular one use to be like that and if you left in on long enough it would kill your battery and for the unlucky one they not only lost the bike but there garage. Optimate is the only one that I know turns off completely Ctec comes in second. I always tell once the lite turns green unplug it plug it, in a couple weeks later plug it in lite turns green unplug it. Over the years I seen enough bikes lost because of a tender.

Deye76

From battery tender (Deltran) web page
"Deltran, and other responsible manufacturers, invest a tremendous amount of time, effort, and money to ensure that their products will fail in a relatively safe manner. For electronic products, at the very least that means no electrical shock or fire hazard.
Can something fail, absolutely, I've left them plugged in since I started using them in 1993.

Azgunner

I called AG today, Scott wasn't available, but I talked to one of their other senior techs & he explained that the deep amp draw that is required for the larger than 103" motors would damage the circuit board used in the Restart version of the ATX batteries. The circuitry is not built to handle the amp draw required for bigger engines. He instead recommended the YTX-20 version which he said was the same as the ATX-20 except without the "restart" capability & circuitry & could handle the deep amp draws needed to spin-up a 124".

AG is having a 25% 4th of July discount that ends today so I went ahead & ordered one. Hopefully I won't have to much of an issue returning the Twin Power I had already ordered.
As I mentioned before the Twin Power lasted 3 years & 2 summers which I thought was pretty good. The tech said I should see 5-6 years from the AG bat.  Also 780 cca vs. the 400 cca from the Twin Power bat. is a pretty impressive jump in cranking amps. All in all if the AG bat. performs like it should it is well worth the extra $100 up front.

Just rebuilt the top end & got 2 heat cycles in when my current bat took a dump on me, sheesh. :idunno:

Ohio HD

cheech

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 06, 2020, 02:04:56 PM
If a non re-start were desired, it seems this would be the one to get. ATX30-HD 970cca.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atx30-hd/
Unaware of what he's putting it in, but that appears to be the bagger case size. So no Dyna or Softail fitment.

Azgunner

Ohio HD

Quote from: Azgunner on July 06, 2020, 02:18:46 PM
Yes, going into an '02 Dyna.

aahhh, I just remembered sending Bagger D&D pipes to you a while back. Yes, 20 series for Dyna.

cheech

Quote from: Azgunner on July 06, 2020, 01:48:55 PM
I called AG today, Scott wasn't available, but I talked to one of their other senior techs & he explained that the deep amp draw that is required for the larger than 103" motors would damage the circuit board used in the Restart version of the ATX batteries. The circuitry is not built to handle the amp draw required for bigger engines.
Hmmm  :scratch: I hope maybe he meant if using the restart feature?
So they make a 680 CCA battery, which is probably a good deal of excess even for big motors, but the circuit board inside can't handle the high draw?
Like maybe 680 amps?  :dgust:

It's like hey we sell a 5 gallon bucket but it'll only hold 2.
I have a ATX 20 Restart I've not connected yet. So hmm.

Buglet

Look at what battery maintainers AG recommends.

cheech

July 06, 2020, 02:44:08 PM #21 Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:48:41 PM by cheech
They even make a HD version of the YTX 20 case size: Here
Not restart, 900 CA.
Wonder why he didn't sell you that?

Ohio HD

Quote from: cheech on July 06, 2020, 02:44:08 PM
Not restart, 900 CA.

That and the ATX30-HD show as on back order.

kd

July 06, 2020, 03:09:42 PM #23 Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:41:09 PM by kd
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 06, 2020, 02:54:42 PM
Quote from: cheech on July 06, 2020, 02:44:08 PM
Not restart, 900 CA.

That and the ATX30-HD show as on back order.

The ATX30-HD is a direct replacement for the touring battery except 970 CCA.  I have it in my 2011 RGU.  Weighs 7 #.  As I said, it has a much lower shut down level than the restart models and instead of a button you touch it with a 12V signal to turn it back on. Because the case has no other equipment in it the space is devoted to making power (therefore more CCA).
KD

turboprop

I have AG 680 CCA batteries with re-start in both of my FXRs with high compression 124" engines. Both bikes fire off instantly. I have bricked a few lithium batteries that did not have a re-start like feature. IME with eight lithium batteries in high compression, big block engines, a re-start like feature is critical for long term survivability of these batteries. I also cannot imagine every going back to conventional AGM batteries again. I know, that AGM that you have is much better. It is the best.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.