March 29, 2024, 03:22:55 AM

News:

Can't find neutral while engine running

Started by Toomuchstuff, July 06, 2020, 01:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toomuchstuff

So I just finished putting a rebuilt evo motor in my custom softail.   I took it out for a first ride today but was having trouble finding neutral.   Shifting overall required more effort than I think it should have but I am unable to get into neutral.   As soon as I shut the engine off, i can pop it right in neutral. 
I adjusted the clutch cable and pushrod as well as checked the primary chain tension several times.   

Any ideas on what I am missing or not thinking of?

xlfan

Too much fluid stuff in primary?

How much and what kind are you using?

Toomuchstuff

The primary was dry so I put in a quart of dextron type atf.  The level seems to be about an inch below the primary adjustment plate opening. 

jsachs1

There is an adjustment on the left side of the trans. case, nut and stud, that you make with the trans. in 3rd gear. If that was disturbed, or any work done in the trans.  :nix:, you may need to re-adjust it.
John

JW113

What year Evo? I just went through this myself, can read all about it in the General section. I have a '92 with a '98/later clutch and primary housings. I had also dumped in a quart of fluid. That is too much for a '98/later. 24oz is the correct amount. You need to pull the derby cover and look where the fluid level is on the clutch basket. If the fluid is higher than the bottom of the clutch basked with the bike sitting upright, it's too full and guaranteed to drag as you are describing.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

thumper 823

First off it is an art, serious.
If your clutch is slightly warped, slight dragging most people will pop it in neutral just as they stop.
Aftermarket clutches belt drives etc solves this congenital problem.

But I guess I should have said in the beginning -make sure your clutch is properly adjusted
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Hossamania

July 06, 2020, 05:16:24 PM #6 Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:59:16 PM by Hossamania
How old is the cable, make sure it is not collapsing. Stainless braid is much less prone to that.
Check your throw out travel.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

FSG

Quotecustom softail

OK what gearbox is in the thing ?

Toomuchstuff

The bike is a custom.  Its titled as a 2000 but I don't know what year lots of the parts are.   It's a harley 5 speed but not sure what year primary is on it.   I drained out the primary bnb oil and put in 24 oz.  It didnt change.  I ma wondering if it has aftermarket clutch plates that doesn't work well with atf. 

Thanks for all the great responses so far. 

xlfan

July 07, 2020, 03:24:16 AM #9 Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:10:15 AM by xlfan
Do check the shifter adjustment as mentioned above!

And make sure the oil level is below clutch basket when straight up.

Toomuchstuff

I didnt check the shifter adjustment yet.  Do I have to pull the primary to do that?

xlfan

Hillside Motorcycle

Sounds like a little clutch adjustment, and you should be good.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

xlfan

How did you adjust the cable slack and pushrod?

Toomuchstuff

I did the adjustment by the book.  I slacked the cable, turned the adjuster in until i felt a little resistance then backed off a half turn.   Then locked the locknut and adjusted the cable to a few millimeters of freeplay. 

Hossamania

Try adjusting again. Adjust with the drivetrain cold. I like to "bounce" the pushrod a few times before doing final set. Make sure the rod isn't moving out of adjustment when locking the nut.
How old is the cable? Make sure the clutch handle is all the way out when adjusting the rod.

Racepres

Quote from: Toomuchstuff on July 07, 2020, 04:58:41 AM
I did the adjustment by the book.  I slacked the cable, turned the adjuster in until i felt a little resistance then backed off a half turn.   Then locked the locknut and adjusted the cable to a few millimeters of freeplay.
That is Not correct for the Most Part...
First and foremost... where does the Cable go ???? to a lever or straight into the Cover??

Toomuchstuff

Quote from: Racepres on July 07, 2020, 06:20:11 AM
First and foremost... where does the Cable go ???? to a lever or straight into the Cover??

I don't understand the question.  I measured the freeplay in the cable by pulling the cable housing away from the mount.  The gap is about the thickness of a nickel. 

Racepres

Quote from: Toomuchstuff on July 07, 2020, 06:36:28 AM
Quote from: Racepres on July 07, 2020, 06:20:11 AM

I don't understand the question.  I measured the freeplay in the cable by pulling the cable housing away from the mount.  The gap is about the thickness of a nickel.
At what point??? with Ball and ramp, I set Cable freeplay at ramp engagement... with the lever [older] type... the Lever position must be established first out of the box, so the throwout "fingers" are in the Correct orientation...
the Service manual directions Must Match the Trans/clutch being adjusted...
again
where does the Cable go ???? to a lever or straight into the Cover??

Hossamania

To b clear, Racepres is asking where the cable engages on the transmission.

Toomuchstuff

July 07, 2020, 07:30:40 AM #20 Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 07:36:24 AM by Toomuchstuff
Quote from: Hossamania on July 07, 2020, 07:21:00 AM

Thanks.  I understand now.  The cable goes into the cover.  There is no lever.

I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed :)

Hossamania

So back to my original question, how old is the cable?
I also had problems with grooves being worn into the hub and basket from the plates and steels, this caused my clutch to drag.

Racepres

Quote from: Toomuchstuff on July 07, 2020, 07:30:40 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on July 07, 2020, 07:21:00 AM

Thanks.  I understand now.  The cable goes into the cover.  There is no lever.

I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed :)

Ball and ramp..
Loosen Cable all the way.. adjust the Ball and ramp such that the clutch is disengaged, ... set cable play,
then adjust Ball and ramp.. slightly off Contact...

Hossamania

Interesting, I do the opposite. Loosen cable all the way, set the pushrod 1/2 to 3/4 turn, then set cable play.

Racepres

Quote from: Hossamania on July 07, 2020, 08:11:12 AM
Interesting, I do the opposite. Loosen cable all the way, set the pushrod 1/2 to 3/4 turn, then set cable play.
Think very carefully about What you are trying to accomplish... Try it... you'll like it..
Only on Ball and Ramp Set-up...