March 28, 2024, 04:53:51 PM

News:

Can't find neutral while engine running

Started by Toomuchstuff, July 06, 2020, 01:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on July 08, 2020, 08:37:20 AM
It appears to be the '98 to '06 clutch. Hence the problem with overfilling the primary to pre '98 specs.

-JW

Difficult to Fix... when we don't know what the hell it is...
Huh?
I'm gonna learn to "Pass" on some more of these...

FSG

Quote from: JW113 on July 07, 2020, 06:59:57 PM
Quote from: FSG on July 07, 2020, 06:07:46 PM
then operate the clutch lever, any significant movement is a good indicator of the outer clutch cable jacket collapsing

Can you expound on that a little? If you adjust as you've described, then watch where that red arrow is pointed and operate the clutch, it is definitely going to move outward significantly, no? Or are you saying it will move out, then start moving back in as you hold the clutch lever steady?

-JW

no, if you were to screw the adjuster in all the way so that the clutch plates separated and there was no further travel available with the ramps in their home position ....

then the clutch lever wouldn't be able to pull the cable and rotate the inner ramp

so if there is movement of the clutch lever in this condition then it's a good indicator of the cables outer cable collapsing

?  or have I just made it worse/harder to understand   :SM:

[attach=0,msg1354198]

Scotty

Quote from: FSG on July 09, 2020, 12:43:13 AM
no, if you were to screw the adjuster in all the way so that the clutch plates separated and there was no further travel available with the ramps in their home position ....
then the clutch lever wouldn't be able to pull the cable and rotate the inner ramp
so if there is movement of the clutch lever in this condition then it's a good indicator of the cables outer cable collapsing
?  or have I just made it worse/harder to understand   :SM:

I think once you read it 4 times it makes sense...........3 times was not enough  :bike:
You are correct though.

Racepres

And take FSG's tutorial one step farther, and you see that this is the very Best time to set lever free play!!!!

JW113

OK, I get it now. Bottom the clutch diaphragm with adjuster screw, take the slack out of the cable, then pull the lever. The lever should be rock solid, if not, cable jacket is stretching. (I think I got a little lost in the Australian to American translation of the world "collapsed")
:SM:
I've never thought of that before, and have put an awful lot of miles/pulls in the big city on clutch cables. Will indeed check that out. Thanks!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on July 09, 2020, 08:22:54 AM
OK, I get it now. Bottom the clutch diaphragm with adjuster screw, take the slack out of the cable, then pull the lever. The lever should be rock solid, if not, cable jacket is stretching. (I think I got a little lost in the Australian to American translation of the world "collapsed")
I've never thought of that before, and have put an awful lot of miles/pulls in the big city on clutch cables. Will indeed check that out. Thanks!

-JW
us bloody australians. we dont have gasoline here only petrol

FSG

QuoteThe lever should be rock solid, if not, cable jacket is stretching collapsing/compressing.

:up:   :SM:

Deye76

"us bloody australians. Australians."
We love you, no matter what you call,....anything. FSG more help, without chest pumping than anyone, ever. :chop:

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JW113

I'll drink to that!
:beer: :beer:

I just need to brush up on my Australianese.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Toomuchstuff

So I re-adjusted my clutch pushrod without slackening the cable first. Then i adjusted the slack out of the cable. 
I also changed my shifter bushing so my shifter doesnt wobble any more.

I dont know which one it was or maybe a combination of both, but the bike shifts fine with no more clutch drag and i can actually find neutral.
It does help to blip the throttle a little when shifting into neutral but that did not help before.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and great info.