April 20, 2024, 07:51:57 AM

News:

clutch lever

Started by david lee, July 08, 2020, 02:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

does anyone know if shovel levers are all made from alloy. id like to find one made of steel so i can bend it so it is closer to the bars.i cant bend the dog leg one in use now as it would more than likely snap. thanks all

Racepres

Only steel ones I have seen are very Early... maybe Flanders or ??
and there was some for British bikes also...
I would be Searching for Panhead Levers... But.. For what I see them bring $$ I wouldn't dream of bending them... There are Literally a Jillion other options to get lever closer to Bar....and then, without "Full Throw" the clutch, or even brake ...ain't gonna work anyway

76shuvlinoff

Give it some heat, propane or Mapp.  Be careful, with Aluminum one second it's there then it might not be.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

I agree with Racepres, bending it closer to the bar gives up throw on the clutch, causing disengagement issues. An easier way to get it close is to adjust the cable so it engages closer to the bar, but again, issues with the length of throw to operate the clutch properly.
Lubing the cable and handle will help with operation and maybe negate the need for closer handle.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

david lee

its not a major issue just an idea for a bit more comfy operation. probably a quarter to half inch closer. thanks

Burnout

July 08, 2020, 03:54:50 PM #5 Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 04:05:19 PM by Burnout
Late shovels and EVO had ergo levers, but the levers don't interchange.
They are compatible though if you use the entire control assy.

Looks like 82 up controls will accept the later ergo levers.
Those are the controls with the large square buttons (which use infinitely better switches).
Not the poo that the small buttons are.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

Would these be of any help?

[attach=0,msg1354145]

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

thanks ill look in to that. im wondering if the stock lever would make a difference compared to the dog leg

JW113

Let's back up a sec. What exactly do you have on your bike now?

The stock levers are straight as a string. Like this:

[attach=0]

The ones I pictured above are DS aftermarket "dog leg" levers for the early Shovelheads. So if you are asking about going from a stock Shovel lever to these DS dog leg levers would be more comfy, I'd speculate they would be.

-JW

david lee

dog leg now jw. i thought maybe the stock straight one would make it a bit closer to the bars. what do you think. thanks

Racepres

Quote from: david lee on July 08, 2020, 03:46:04 PM
its not a major issue just an idea for a bit more comfy operation. probably a quarter to half inch closer. thanks

Quote from: david lee on July 09, 2020, 01:06:59 AM
dog leg now jw. i thought maybe the stock straight one would make it a bit closer to the bars. what do you think. thanks

How confusing to Me....

JW113

Quote from: david lee on July 09, 2020, 01:06:59 AM

The stock lever will make it farther from the bar. That's why DS sells the dog leg type, which it sounds like you already have. That's as good as it gets, amigo.

-JW

david lee

Coff 06

I use the "Ergo" ergonomic levers on my 06 and it made a difference. I realize it's not a shovel though.
         Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

76shuvlinoff

The first time I lubed the factory cable I was amazed. Since then I buy Teflon lined housings.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

A NEW longitudinally wound clutch cable with a liner is a blessing.

As is the correct length and proper routing to avoid unnatural bends.

There are many little things that help make an easier clutch pull and reduce drag.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"