1996 Electra Glide Classic FLHTC Radio, Blue Tooth Help

Started by catfish, July 10, 2020, 08:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfish

I have a stock radio and it stills works and plays.  I would like to bring it into the 21st century with a blue tooth receiver.  I was told if it had an input RCA OR AUX port I could plug in a blue tooth receiver.  Does anyone know if the old radio has that?  I have SXM on my cell phone and would like to get that music by Bluetooth to my radio in stead of ear buds.  I have looked at a new radio system and have had estimates for $700-900.  Stuff doesn't fit easily for an old bike.  Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Fugawee

I have a 1994 FLHTC, and a 2003 FLHTCUI.  Both have the Original Stock Sound Systems.  Neither have a Blue Tooth Input.  I have heard that it can be done by a Private Radio Repair Person.  I know People that have had it done to Their Car/Truck Stock Radios.  Check out a Few Radio Repair Shops.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

The 96 can be done with a Remote Bluetooth Transmitter mounted in the Fairing (Transmits on a Radio Freq allowing you to tune it in on the dial). You will only get "good quality" and not best.

The 2003 can use a Remote Blue Tooth Unit with an 1/8" Male Input Jack to the Front of the Radio.
Tom

Fugawee

I have a Portable ONYX XM Unit that I use on both of My Bikes.  The 94' and the 03' FLH's.  That method of tuning to an "Open" FM" Band, I have been doing for years.  I added an additional 12V Outlet on the top left of the Inner Fairings, and mounted the Magnetic Antenna on the Lower Triple Tree, below the Fairing.  Then ran the wire up thru the Clutch Cable Grommet.  Made My own Handlebar Mounts out of some Clamps, and un-used XM Mounting Stuff.  Mounted them up by the Clutch Lever.  Works out Great.  No Issues.  Been on those Bikes for a Long Time.
My 03' does not have an Input on the Front of the Radio.  I know that for a Fact.  If Everybody else has one...then I got screwed.  What else is new. 
I remember My first XM Unit.  It was called a "Roadie 2".  That came with a Cassette like piece that You could insert, or the "Open FM" Band method.  I'm good with just the XM Unit.  I don't need any Music from My Phone.  When I'm Riding...I don't  even want to see My Phone.  Take Care.

Bsmith153

You can  spend less than 200 bucks on a new Head Unit and dash kit and problem solved...if you have a Batwing fairing.  I didnt see you list what bike you ride.  It all fits pretty easily.   My '04 flht has a Kenwood HU  in it.  If your happy with those stock speakers your good. Harley audio was junk back then,  in my opinion, and most of the free worlds opinion.  You can spend a lot of money, trust me I know, but for what your looking to do it can be fairly cheap.  Good luck withnwhatever you choose.
I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!

Bsmith153

I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!

calif phil

Get one of Coyotes BT100M modules for your 1996, Very easy to install and works great. 

PoorUB

I have been running the Roady2 for years on my Harleys, still am today. They eventually fail, more than likely from an occasional rain but I buy them on Ebay for about $20. I have used the FM output several times and the sound was decent.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

wolf_59

Quote from: calif phil on July 11, 2020, 07:07:08 AM
Get one of Coyotes BT100M modules for your 1996, Very easy to install and works great.
+1  :up: :up: