April 25, 2024, 07:15:04 AM

News:

Transmission studs?

Started by fbn ent, July 14, 2020, 10:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

I can't remember...  :emoGroan: ... Are the mounting stud holes on a late 4 speed blind or through? I have a leak that, so far, looks like it is coming from one stud.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

JW113

I can't remember 100% either, but I think it is a mix. At least one, if not both, of the lower ones go into the case. I had a leak from one also that took a couple attempts to finally seal up. Permatex #1 did the trick.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Ohio HD

Like JW said, they are a mix. #1 Permatex is a good suggestion to try I think.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

Burnout

I put the studs in with plenty of red locktite, and a smear of silicone on the inside of a clean case.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

One little bit of hard earned advice. It might be tempting to use Loctite on the nuts on those studs. Loctite is good stuff, right? Indeed it is, but unfortunately on those four studs, it tends to pull them out of the case the next time you have to take the inner primary off. I quit using it, even quit using the "AERO" nylock nuts. Plain old nuts with lock washers. Never had an issue after that.

-JW

billbuilds

OEM nut 7800W IS a locknut and that's what ' use and would recommend using.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

JW113

If you've had good luck with that, then stick with it. Me, not so good. Back in the day, HD did not use very good grade aluminum for their castings. Hence, any place that is threaded, the threads stretch and get "loose". Meaning that if you use a nut that locks to the stud, it's going to take the stud out with it when you remove the nut. Then you get to fix the leaky stud again. I have been using plain old nuts with lock washers, no issues (so far). If a feller was worried about the nuts coming loose, might want to safety wire them like the two engine bolts are.

:idunno:

-JW

fbn ent

Thanks  :up:. I'm a big fan of 243 and probably have used it on those studs (242 back then) but can't remember if I ever pulled this one....

Burnout

July 15, 2020, 10:49:37 AM #8 Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:55:02 AM by Burnout
I use Grade 8 hardware for motor and trans mounts (especially nylock nuts).
Non-grade 8 hardware is not up to the task.
Thick hardened washers don't taco like fence hardware on the trans plate or cave in on the motor mount bolts.
DON'T use stainless.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

fbn ent

Agreed....I like Caterpillar heavy washers for a lot of applications and learned a long time ago how soft standard nylocks are. :dgust: