Transmission shaft / primary bearing race issue

Started by fbn ent, July 15, 2020, 09:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

A friend just called me and said that a "shop" up North was messing with his '92 bagger and discovered a loose, aluminum, front pulley so they decided to change it.

Some how, I suspect the wrong tooling and the use of an impact, they managed to drive the race into the fifth gear assembly and wrecked something. Sounds like an airplane in 1st and 2nd. I don't know much about broken transmissions. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the shop wrecked?

Buddy is looking for a used tranny to get it back up as we speak.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

fbn ent

Burnout

A proper diagnosis is needed as there are many possible causes of airplane noises.

Now is a perfect time to upgrade to a direct drive 6 speed.....    :SM:    :scoot:

And find a shop that has mechanics not previously employed as airline luggage handlers.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

fbn ent

Dan89flstc

July 18, 2020, 08:13:26 AM #4 Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 08:19:29 AM by Dan89flstc
Makes me think there is a mishmash of `92 pulley and `94 (and later) pulley components...

Late part number pulley must be used with late part number spacer etc.

The old spacer (3334-84) is .850" long, and has an outside diameter of 2.065".

The upgraded spacer (3334-94, that came out in 1994) is .600" long, and the outside diameter is 2.254".

The new pulley is thicker in the spline area to make up for the new shorter spacer.

As you can see, they must not be mixed up.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

fbn ent

July 18, 2020, 09:24:02 AM #5 Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:01:54 AM by fbn ent
Yeah, I figure that is what they did. Was just wondering/thinking the transmission will have to come apart. Pretty sure it's not as easy as correcting what they did... :doh:.  Sounds like some major damage has been done.

Burnout

Just tear into it retracing their steps, the problem should be obvious.

Most importantly do not ride it until this is fixed.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

turboprop

July 22, 2020, 10:29:57 AM #7 Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 12:14:53 PM by turboprop
If the main shaft race was indeed pushed into the main shaft fifth gear enough that it moved the seal into the bearing enough to move the bearing, then yes, the entire gear set will have to come out of the case.

There is no need for a replacement 'tranny' (whatever that means) if this is all that was done. Aside from the gaskets and seals to reassemble everything, the only real hardware required for the transmission is new internal bearings for that fifth gear. They might cost twenty dollars for the pair and are very easy to press out and press back in.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

fbn ent

That was the info I was looking for. I haven't heard of it happening but I'm sure it has. I'll let him know. Thanks  :up:

fbn ent

Just to finish this off....

I gave him a call to see what he had done so far. He had trailered to a friend's shop who put in a new fifth gear seal and inner primary race. Apparently all is good now. False alarm I guess...