April 23, 2024, 11:06:02 PM

News:

primary setup

Started by roadkingdresser, July 16, 2020, 09:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

A friend brought me a 93 motor and transmission, wants to build a bobber. He bought a primary inner/outer primary setup with all the internals included. I know that the clutch hub won't work on the splined trans. shaft. Any ideas to whether i can change the inner hub and still use the rest of the clutch assembly. And the other question is will the rest of the setup work with the motor/trans? Thanks
roadkingdresser

xlfan

July 16, 2020, 10:13:48 AM #1 Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 10:18:29 AM by xlfan
What year inner/outer primary setup? Does all internals include starter motor and all the jackshaft bits and pieces?

You can not change the inner hub only, you need a complete clutch. If you have a stock primary chain, you need a 37T outer hub with 24T engine sprocket, and a 36T outer hub with a 25T engine sprocket.

roadkingdresser

The inner and outer primary are 1988 anll the components are there,starter jackshaft bits and pieces
roadkingdresser

Dan89flstc

Don`t bother with the `88 primary stuff, it isn`t the way to go, you will be stuck with a $hitty   clutch, and the old shovelhead starter configuration.

Find parts for a model with the splined mainshaft/modern starter system, `89 or later.

Find inner and outer primary covers first, then get the rest of the hardware to work with those covers (starter jackshaft, starter).

What model bike is this?

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Burnout

July 22, 2020, 08:46:51 AM #4 Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:54:09 AM by Burnout
I can say with certainty that you DO NOT want a tapered shaft & clutch of that vintage. This is a 4 post - first generation - diaphragm spring type.

The clutch hub is too thin and WILL crack along the keyway, There are bandaids but they don solve the problem and just delay failure.

There is a second problem with that clutch in that it has 4 posts that the pressure plate bolts down against and those posts break off easily leaving you with a less than flat clutch release.

Avoid this style clutch like the plague!!! (even if it was free)

That bike also came with a pulley that comes loose and fails. It is identified by a single screw to lock the nut (if it hasn't sheared off already).
This pulley has a narrow spline engagement and will walk on the splines causing the lock screw to shear and releasing the nut to fall off.
The 94 up pulley has a wider flange and a larger diameter spacer and seal, this fixes this problem.
The newer style pulley will have a nut lock plate and 2 screws retaining the plate.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

david lee

my theory is anything modified or changed is never just a bolt on swap