March 28, 2024, 03:28:19 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

aaarrrggghhhh, 2016 Sortster 1200 P0371

Started by barhopper72, July 17, 2020, 03:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barhopper72

Hi guys, 2016 XL, comes up with P0371 CKP SENSOR TOO MANY PULSES, I have replaced crank sensor and ign coil, the bike will start up, go for a ride, after 3 miles or 30 miles, you never can tell!, it starts cutting out, this gets worse until it dies. after leaving it for 20 minutes, sometimes, it will start and run for a few minutes, then cut out again. always shows the same fault code, even when cleared before every test ride,. the bike has only 1600 miles from new. thanks

Panzer

Pure stock bike or what has been added?
Sounds like you may have a fuel problem.
Right when it starts to act up, loosen the gas cap. (possible vapor lock) and see if that helps.
Will check back with you on that.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

barhopper72

cannot find a fuel problem anywhere! I will spend some time checking wiring, again, today, it seems as if you hit the kill switch when it shuts down.

b0fh

if replacing the sensor did not fix, check the wiring - that part of the bike is a rat's nest of wires wich get vibrated by the engine, something might be shorting, etc.

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

barhopper72

i have tried all the usual stuff. on a real time data run on the diagnostics, i noticed the bike cuts out when engine temp sensor reaches 300C, its done that three times now, gonna swap temp sensor today and see what happens !

Panzer

72fl

Seriously 600 degree's farenheit ? You need to get out of traffic and let the Air do it's Job in my opinion

Panzer

barhopper72

still waiting for temp sensor, on backorder at HD, did another test run after checking wiring, again, and it started cutting out after 3 miles! I will update more when I next approach the nemesis!

Panzer

You getting the sensor from China?   Geeeeeeeez

barhopper72

fitted temp sensor today, got back from a 50 mile run, cut out at a junction one time, re started after  10 mins, rode like a dream!! no  fault codes showing, so far!

Hossamania

I'm confused. With the new temp sensor it still died and you had to wait ten minutes to restart it? It doesn't sound like the issue has quite been solved yet.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Panzer

Hossamania

Quote from: barhopper72 on July 30, 2020, 08:21:14 AM
fitted temp sensor today, got back from a 50 mile run, cut out at a junction one time, re started after  10 mins, rode like a dream!! no  fault codes showing, so far!
Quote from: Hossamania on July 30, 2020, 08:53:49 AM
I'm confused. With the new temp sensor it still died and you had to wait ten minutes to restart it? It doesn't sound like the issue has quite been solved yet.

Or do you mean that you pulled off and stopped for a ten minute break, then continued on the ride, and had no problems?

Panzer

barhopper72

have a few runs on the nemesis now, all 40 miles or thereabouts, and no more fault codes or cutting out.....so far!

Hossamania

barhopper72

Well, Nemesis has covered over 300 miles now, since fitting new temp sensor, and no problems to report !.......so far!