March 28, 2024, 01:33:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

97 flht shuts off while riding

Started by 97FLH, July 17, 2020, 10:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97FLH

cranks over  and everything else works just no spark thanks

JW113

Need more info.

Does it start up, run for a while, and shuts off hard?
Will it then restart and run for a while and die again?
Does it run, die, backfire and start running again?
Did you try putting a voltmeter on the coil + terminal and confirm it's getting +12V, even when it dies?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

97FLH

after it sets for a while it will  start no back fire or that getting fuel cranks over but no fire to plugs.it is like you shut key off. it might run 50 feet or 50 miles. thank you

kd

July 17, 2020, 12:25:57 PM #3 Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 04:19:57 PM by kd
Engine temperature sensor?  Known problem that won't throw a code. Often will buck and backfire in the exhaust but not always. Restarts after a cool down period.  The longer the cool down the longer it will run after.
KD

JW113

A common problem is a broken wire in the ignition circuit. Hence, my question about putting a volt meter on the coil hot (+) terminal. The Amp Mate & Lock connectors used in the wiring harness are prone to get intermittent with time/heat/vibration. Suggest pulling the tank, put a volt meter on the coil hot terminal, turn on ignition, and start wiggling the wire harnesses to see if you can get it to open up. Do you have a shop manual for your bike to look at the wiring harness diagram?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

97FLH

thanks for the help will get a meter and try that yes i have shop manual.not to good with electrics.

WML57

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

fbn ent

If you have no power on the white (+) wire at the coil it is a broken wire somewhere or the ignition fuse maybe.

You can try jumping power to the coil + and see what happens....

jsachs1

If it's a carb engine, the bank angle sensor/ignition plate in the nose cone may be bad. :dgust:
John

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fbn ent

Diver625

It happened to mine once, the coil was bad.

Princess Butt

When it shuts down, check circuit breaker. They will get hot and trip.

1997 MM was available on all touring bikes, including the Road King. I'm glad I got one with a carburetor.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.