April 18, 2024, 04:43:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stage 1 recommendations?

Started by Eccool, July 17, 2020, 03:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eccool

Hello all.  This heat really has me thinking about a stage 1 on my stock 19 Limited.  My preference is to keep 2 into 1 into two head pipe muffler combo.  Any recommendations for either head pipe or mufflers?  I would prefer something a little louder than stock.  A two into one is definitely out.  I hear the Stealth air filter is a good performer but I am open to other options.  Down the road I am thinking about a cam and port work while keeping the stock displacement, but right now I am looking for intake and exhaust options.  Thanks!

RTMike

You might as well do a cam at the same time as you will need to retune when the cam is installed.There are lots of options from the venders on this sight to look at and help in your quest.Youtube has good info also on cam and exhaust changes take a look.

PoorUB

You need to figure out your goals. Do you want a nice bump in performance, or a lot more?

Either replace the head pipe with aftermarket, or cut the cat out of the factory pipe and run the stock mufflers. A bit louder than stock and a bit freer flowing.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a stage one, and go right to the cams. Also there are many blot in cams that will get you a nice bump without pulling the heads. Once you pull the heads it becomes a slippery slope, and full of what else should I do type questions. Pull the heads, maybe a big bore? It just snowballs. I went a bit crazy with a 107" my 2010 and when I sold the bike it was back to factory 103" pistons and cylinders, cams and exhaust. I told myself after that one I was never pulling the heads again.

Cams, exhaust and AC and get a real tune, not some dealer flash.

I realize mine is a Twin Cam, but I run a gutted factory head pipe, stock mufflers, stock AC and CR570-2 cams in my 2016 Limited and am satisfied with the performance. It will pull 80-90 MPH down the interstate all day long, just purring along.

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Tail Ridr

Quote from: PoorUB on July 18, 2020, 08:44:53 AM

Cams, exhaust and AC and get a real tune, not some dealer flash.

I realize mine is a Twin Cam, but I run a gutted factory head pipe, stock mufflers, stock AC and CR570-2 cams in my 2016 Limited and am satisfied with the performance. It will pull 80-90 MPH down the interstate all day long, just purring along.
What kind of numbers can you realize with this budget build? Not really looking to see how much I can spend for minimal results...
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

RTMike

125 torque 110 hp with the right cam,exhaust,air cleaner and tune check out the options there are lots .

joes124

For a 2-1-2 head pipe check out fuelmoto.  Their website also has a dyno graph section with various cams, exhausts, and air cleaners too.

PoorUB

Once you get past the EPA tune and cams and get a decent tune and cams it is surprising the difference. You might gain just a few HP but drivability is increased greatly. It is not just numbers.
With my Twin Cam I maybe gained 10/10, don't know, never been dyno'd but it runs so much better.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hillside Motorcycle

D&D Billet Cat
GOOD free-flowing air cleaner
Red Shift .468
Tune it.
Ride and smile.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

HD/Wrench

there are many great cams out there  some are old specs and just do not stack up against newer redesigned cams that have been tweaked or just a new grind. take a look at the max cell 821  made 122 hp 131 tq .    That is a common number in fact the 114 and the 117 stock engines make about the same with most cams not much changes with just a cam swap .  you MIGHT get a touch more tq but production engines are what they are . I look for trends  avgs more so than the high flyer . Good luck

Durwood

Quote from: Eccool on July 17, 2020, 03:37:04 PM
Hello all.  This heat really has me thinking about a stage 1 on my stock 19 Limited.  My preference is to keep 2 into 1 into two head pipe muffler combo.  Any recommendations for either head pipe or mufflers?  I would prefer something a little louder than stock.  A two into one is definitely out.  I hear the Stealth air filter is a good performer but I am open to other options.  Down the road I am thinking about a cam and port work while keeping the stock displacement, but right now I am looking for intake and exhaust options.  Thanks!
Stock decatted head pipe, FM Outlaw mufflers, S&S Stealth.

tolobill

hello, does this combo void the warranty, and does it require a tune.

rigidthumper

Quote from: tolobill on October 06, 2020, 05:47:35 AM
hello, does this combo void the warranty, and does it require a tune.
Any combo that removes the EPA/DOT legal components may void the factory warranty.
Every bike can benefit from a tune.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?