Any idea what might be causing this 'tapping' / 'ticking' noise? Video.

Started by Molly, January 31, 2021, 12:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

Hi Guys.

Picked up a really clean '04 Electraglide at the weekend. 87,000k on the clock. SE upgrades to cam chest 20k ago. Fully documented service history.

Noticed a 'ticking' or 'tapping' noise and wondered if you could help identify the cause. It's most evident under load or decelerating. Cruising around town it's pretty loud I suppose. I moved a mechanics' stethoscope here and there but could only do that when the bike was stationary and that's when the noise is barely evident. Lifters sounded fine. If anything the 'ticking' could be heard around the compensator area. Hoped it was just a loose primary chain but the play / tension seems fine.

Thanks in advance for your advice guys. Much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gn6CBujDG4

bump

Hard to tell but I have seen loose heat shields on exhaust do that sometimes.

Sinker

Check the rubber bushings in your rear exhaust mounts. They shrink over time and your mufflers can rattle. This happened on my 2000 Road King.

smoserx1

It is hard to tell from the video, but nothing I heard really raised my eyebrows.  I have a 99 EG with way more miles than yours (220000 and counting on the clock)  Yes the heat shields can rattle and those rubber muffler mounts are a regular replace item...I have replaced mine a bunch.  I did replace my primary guts at about 200000 miles with a 3.37 setup from a 2000 MM EFI salvage yard model and I can tell you that compensator is virtually indestructible...but my original one did rattle pretty good.  At idle it sounded like a Diesel engine.  So pulled out a very old compensator with 200 K and replaced it with another old one with only 75K!  I am sure lots of folks will roll their eyes but the slightly newer compensator did not rattle at first, although it is beginning to now.  I would just ride it and realize these engines are very noisy, especially the valve train.

kd

By your description of when it occurs to be most evident, I would say there's a real good chance it's an exhaust leak.  They very often don't show up unless under power.  The increased combustion and the torque / twist on the engine mounts can make the sound more noticeable.  Sometimes it may be accompanied by exhaust popping on closed throttle deceleration. Touch them up with a 1/2" universal socket to see if they take any tightening at the same time you are checking the heat shield fasteners and clearances.
KD

Rockout Rocker Products

Doesn't sound like the typical rocker shaft tapping, could be wrong.  :idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Molly

Thanks guys. Appreciate those replies and suggestions.

You know how it is when you buy a used bike. If you're anything like me you're paranoid about every knock and rattle until you get a sense of what needs attention and what's just normal for that bike. Spent a wee while last night watching YouTube videos of 'ticky' Twin Cams (and there are plenty of them..). Had me wondering about all sorts including fueling.

I'll try to pin it down and if I find a fix I'll report back.

:up:

tbird

Had one like that, chased the noise for several yrs. Changed pushrods, rocker lockers, new lifters. Turned out to be the inner chain.  I learned a lesson there. New lifters, I bought from a guy on this site, one leaks down and is noisy  at start up. If it isn't one thing it is another.

Hossamania

Of it still has stock exhaust, check for a crack at the crossover behind the rear cylinder.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

KD

koko3052

"under load or decelerating"....I'd say check the primary chain tension.

Hossamania

Quote from: koko3052 on January 31, 2021, 11:51:07 AM
"under load or decelerating"....I'd say check the primary chain tension.

He mentioned the play/tension seemed fine, a little buried in the narrative.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

fleetmechanic

Quote from: Hossamania on January 31, 2021, 09:40:32 AM
Of it still has stock exhaust, check for a crack at the crossover behind the rear cylinder.
And at the lower junction of the Y-pipe.  Very common fail up through 2008.  Often on the backside where it is hard to see.

1workinman

Quote from: fleetmechanic on January 31, 2021, 02:08:21 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on January 31, 2021, 09:40:32 AM
And at the lower junction of the Y-pipe.  Very common fail up through 2008.  Often on the backside where it is hard to see.
I had that problem on a road glide . I just traded it off at a local dealer for a later model street glide , a bad idea also .  Lesson learned

Molly

Thanks again guys.

Hope to get some time in the shed over the next couple of days. I'll report back if I find anything conclusive.

Again, thank you. Genuinely appreciate you guys sharing your experience.

CndUltra88

Careful what you wish for in the shed :}
Hope the aircon is working too, Bertha might complain....
Sorry , I have nothing else to add.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan