April 24, 2024, 11:03:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 balancer bearing removal

Started by JMHD, July 18, 2020, 01:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMHD

Hello, Just looking to see other peoples methods of removing the balancer bearings from the crankcase halves on the milwaukee 8. The manual literally says "use appropriate puller" so there is no special tool from the factory. I know Jims makes a puller and installer so that might be the route that will have to be taken. If anyone has a good brand of blind hole pullers that they recommend, that would be great. I see lots on eBay but the quality looks dicey.  Thanks in advance. :beer:

koko3052

A blind hole puller isn't something that you want to "chinz" on. :up:

JMHD

Quote from: koko3052 on July 19, 2020, 08:16:09 AM
A blind hole puller isn't something that you want to "chinz" on. :up:
Thats for sure.  :up:

jamminhd2000

Jim's tool works great....but I understand how it's hard to justify cost of tool for one time use...until a case half is trashed...jimmy

JMHD

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on July 20, 2020, 08:45:22 AM
Jim's tool works great....but I understand how it's hard to justify cost of tool for one time use...until a case half is trashed...jimmy
Thanks Jimmy, I got them out with no damage but a pain in the ass. Had to modify my puller jaws. I will be ordering the Jims tool now.

PoorUB

Just pulling the outer race? Get the MIG welder out and run a bead all the way around the race, let it cool and it will fall out.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FloridaJim5

If you don't mind, why are you replacing the bearings and why is the engine on the bench?   

Trying to learn.......... 

JMHD

Quote from: PoorUB on July 20, 2020, 10:39:26 AM
Just pulling the outer race? Get the MIG welder out and run a bead all the way around the race, let it cool and it will fall out.
That was gonna be the next move if the puller wouldn't do it. They were in there pretty tight.  :beer:

JMHD

Quote from: FloridaJim5 on July 20, 2020, 01:43:49 PM
If you don't mind, why are you replacing the bearings and why is the engine on the bench?   

Trying to learn..........
Dont mind at all, combination of a few reasons. Sumping led to disassembly,  found failed rods, left main bearing race spun and balancer bearings were binding. Old style pump and loose piston jets as well.