April 18, 2024, 11:49:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Neutral Indicator

Started by JW113, July 19, 2020, 03:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt the '86 & later neutral switch to an Ironhead. Anybody ever try this?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Racepres

Not needing one... No... But... all parts excepting the Top end Interchange from all Post 1977 4-speed Sportsters..
I have a post '86 Gearbox with Trapdoor [because it will accommodate a double row bearing] in my I.H. DragBike..
Tells Me... it should Not be any Problem.

JW113

I thinking about teaching a yute to ride a motorcycle. Neutral light is not needed, but it is a nice safety feature for someone new to motorcycles and manual transmissions. So I guess the key ingredient is the 86/later shifter plate? Will peruse the parts books and see what is different.

-JW

Racepres

July 20, 2020, 04:55:09 PM #3 Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:00:46 PM by Racepres
Quote from: JW113 on July 20, 2020, 08:52:00 AM
I thinking about teaching a yute to ride a motorcycle. Neutral light is not needed, but it is a nice safety feature for someone new to motorcycles and manual transmissions. So I guess the key ingredient is the 86/later shifter plate? Will peruse the parts books and see what is different.

-JW
Never looked in the parts book... But cannot imagine what would be different on the Plate... maybe the lug to activate the neutral Light... got more than a couple here... take a look tomorrow
BTW I have only taught new riders on Toby bikes and dirt bikes... and I would never teach anyone to rely on a neutral light... ever....  Indian MC is having that problem with "indicators" as we speak... Useless, IMO
teach em old school...

JW113

From what I see in the online parts websites, up to '90 the shifter parts are basically the same as for Ironheads, with some of the parts dating back to the K-model! The shift plate is a -75 number. So I'm not sure exactly what the switch is contacting in there. Would have to drill/spot face a hole like this:

[attach=0]

Be nice to have a '86-'90 right side case to make some measurements from, hate to make it a turkey shoot and hope it's in the right spot!

-JW

Racepres

We have one here... But, very very busy just now.. I will see what/where/why... in a bit
I thing you will find a "stud" or a "dowel" on the Shifter Cam Plate, that engages the neutral Indicator..
note My Book shows a -75 A and  -75 B... Differences??? Prolly that Lug or Dowel or... whatever...
What is that case in Pic???? Oh "Potty mouth"... 5 speed...

JW113

It's supposed to be a set of 86-90 cases, on ebay. No hurry AT ALL, but it you did happened to have some time in the next year or two, some measurements would be much appreciated.
:SM:

-JW

Racepres

LOL
Hope it dont take that long!!