April 23, 2024, 12:39:16 PM

News:

Signal Buttom

Started by Buglet, July 21, 2020, 05:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buglet

Looking where theses came from. Being on the bike since new, you press once there on press again there off. 

Racepres

????
new one on me... great way for me to forget, and leave em on!!!

Buglet

That's is why these new bikes have all this new hi tech stuff so you don't have to pay attention. You just start and go, soon it will stop for you  They all ready has hill assist, signal light that turn off, traction control so you don't have to worry about turning on the throttle to fast. What else do you need.                    .

motorplex88

July 21, 2020, 07:20:19 AM #3 Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:25:28 AM by motorplex88
Seems like I remember those handlebar controls from the late 70's, maybe early 80's. I had an 83 model XLX I bought new but really can't remember. The red turn signal button does not seem correct for some reason. The rest looks like H-D stuff ?  Also seems like I remember simply holding down on the button till the turn was completed. Then again these days I can't remember  :turd:.

Buglet

I also had some 83-84 come in with signals switches that work the same way. they came that way from the factory but I never could find replacement ones.

Racepres

Quote from: Buglet on July 21, 2020, 07:06:39 AM
     That's is why these new bikes have all this new hi tech stuff so you don't have to pay attention. You just start and go, soon it will stop for you  They all ready has hill assist, signal light that turn off, traction control so you don't have to worry about turning on the throttle to fast. What else do you need.                    .

Don't know anything about that.. My newest Bike is a '94
and I still have the good ole '70's type hold to flash controls..

Quote from: motorplex88 on July 21, 2020, 07:20:19 AM
Seems like I remember those handlebar controls from the late 70's, maybe early 80's. I had an 83 model XLX I bought new but really can't remember. The red turn signal button does not seem correct for some reason. The rest looks like H-D stuff ?  Also seems like I remember simply holding down on the button till the turn was completed. Then again these days I can't remember  :turd:.

Those Controls were introduced in 1973 and replaced in 1982, and the replacements functioned the same way... until???? IDK the mid '90's maybe??

96flhpi

'82 thru '95 and yes the signal was only on while button was pressed.  Badlands makes a wire-in module that keeps them flashing for 9 seconds without having to hold the button.

Dan89flstc

July 21, 2020, 01:46:09 PM #7 Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:56:22 PM by Dan89flstc
In `86 they put turn signal switches that latched to the on position when pressed, unlatched to off when button was pressed again, it was mechanical inside the switch not an electrical gizmo.

It was a fail...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

david lee

i thought all button flashers had to be pressed in to work. my 80 lowrider does

JW113

Well we're getting into Evo territory here, but...

Switch housing and switches changed from the boxy Shovel type with the really crappy switches to the more rounded Evo type with better switches in 1984. Still push and hold for turn signals.

1991 they added a "turn signal computer", that had a wire from the speedo to it. Tap the button, signals would come on until so many pulses from the speedo. Also it somehow seemed to tell if you were going slow and sped up, then shut off the signals. Or was my imagination.

Housing changed again to an even more rounder type in 1996, which is actually the ones I like.
:SM:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

In '96 they also finally became waterproof, which has nothing to do with Shovelheads. Or this thread.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: JW113 on July 21, 2020, 07:07:54 PM
Housing changed again to an even more rounder type in 1996, which is actually the ones I like.

-JW

If you want to change to the `96 and later switches and housings, the clutch perch and master cylinder must also be changed.

The wiring is not plug and play, but only a simple rework of the switch harnesses must be made.

These switches are still available from HD, and they come with very long harnesses for those who like the high bars.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on July 21, 2020, 07:07:54 PM
Well we're getting into Evo territory here, but...

Switch housing and switches changed from the boxy Shovel type with the really crappy switches to the more rounded Evo type with better switches in 1984. Still push and hold for turn signals.

1991 they added a "turn signal computer", that had a wire from the speedo to it. Tap the button, signals would come on until so many pulses from the speedo. Also it somehow seemed to tell if you were going slow and sped up, then shut off the signals. Or was my imagination.

-JW
'82 was the Change... but yea maybe better... maybe not
depends what you were already used to...
worst thing about the dash 73 switches was the poor Quality replacements that were eventually offered... I have had Excellent service from Real MoCo Switches...and am now desoldering them from swap meet finds to Stay Afloat..

JW113

The originals were made by Grayhill Switch out of Chicago. The aftermarket ones are made, well, you know where. Indeed the quality sucks, but the reality is that even the Grayhill parts were undersized for this application. Especially the starter switch but also the headlight switch.

-JW

Burnout

Quote from: Dan89flstc on July 21, 2020, 01:46:09 PM
In `86 they put turn signal switches that latched to the on position when pressed, unlatched to off when button was pressed again, it was mechanical inside the switch not an electrical gizmo.

It was a fail...

Yes, I will parrot this post. One or two years only. No replacement parts available.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

david lee

mine are original and work perfect. if something was to happen my mate is a wizard with electrics and would be able to fix it.80 lowrider

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on July 22, 2020, 07:43:55 AM
The originals were made by Grayhill Switch out of Chicago. The aftermarket ones are made, well, you know where. Indeed the quality sucks, but the reality is that even the Grayhill parts were undersized for this application. Especially the starter switch but also the headlight switch.

-JW
In my experience... the Starter switch was always a Failure for people who went to a larger [Ford type] relay..
No way that poor little switch can handle that kind of Current..The Bosch ...OTOH... is Gentle on the Button

Quote from: david lee on July 22, 2020, 02:47:53 PM
mine are original and work perfect. if something was to happen my mate is a wizard with electrics and would be able to fix it.80 lowrider

Obviously knows about the Limitations of the tiny little switch's Current handling Capabilities!!!

JW113

Quote from: Racepres on July 22, 2020, 05:32:14 PM
In my experience... the Starter switch was always a Failure for people who went to a larger [Ford type] relay..

Not sure I follow that. You mean this one?

[attach=0]

Bone stock on my bike, never "went to" anything. But maybe I should consider "going to" a Bosch relay to save the starter switch? I have no idea of the current load on the starter solenoid. Is a Bosch relay sized appropriately for the load? They are rated at what, 30A?

-JW

Dan89flstc

July 22, 2020, 07:36:00 PM #18 Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 07:40:42 PM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: Racepres on July 22, 2020, 05:32:14 PM

No way that poor little switch can handle that kind of Current..The Bosch ...OTOH... is Gentle on the Button
That is why it is a good idea to use a Bosch type relay to activate the Ford relay...

The Bosch relay eliminates the large current draw through the starter switch, and the Ford relay prevents starter run on.

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Racepres

^^^  Just what I need... More Complicated.... I refuse to Reinvent the wheel that is already Round... But. I do see some of the concerns... they are simply Not Mine

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Racepres on July 23, 2020, 06:52:55 AM
^^^  Just what I need... More Complicated.... I refuse to Reinvent the wheel that is already Round... But. I do see some of the concerns... they are simply Not Mine

Maybe it is not for you but it solves 2 problems nonetheless, it is not reinventing the wheel.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

bump

so much for the KISS method.

crock

Just curious, does anybody know the amp draw of the "ford" style solenoid. Had an old pan-head and used the "bosh" relay alone with no problems.and it was easy to hide
Crock

Racepres

Quote from: crock on July 24, 2020, 04:41:39 AM
Just curious, does anybody know the amp draw of the "ford" style solenoid. Had an old pan-head and used the "bosh" relay alone with no problems.and it was easy to hide
PanHeads did Not utilize the post '73 baby button...
those original handlebar buttons were quite robust.. I would use the bosch relay out of Age consideration on those original Buttons..

JW113

So these big Ford relays mount under the battery box on a '70s FLH, and same for '70s XLH as well. Since they continued to use that same starter set up into the 80's, I took a look at what was used on an '85 FXRS. This:

[attach=0]

HD part number 31506-79C. No idea who makes it or what the amp rating is, but looks like a Bosch type relay to me. Guess it should fine if the factory is using it.

-JW