April 17, 2024, 05:23:53 PM

News:

Any good alternative to the thunder header?

Started by Adam76, July 23, 2020, 05:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Hey guys, looking for a pipe to finish my build off but still keeping the nostalgic look of my '96 nostalgia..... this probably belongs in the exhaust section, but anyways....

The thunderheader may be a touch louder than I would like to have, the RR long megaphone doesn't get much love and the old school true dual V&H certainly doesn't get any respect here due to it's apparent poor performance (though I don't know how much it is affected?).

I am also
looking at the pro pipe or the newer pro pipe "chrome" but they're not the greatest look on the old school deluxe, but fat at the end.

I'm also guessing there's no decent 2-2 pipes that look and sound and perform half decent ?

I know nobody likes an exhaust thread  :emoGroan:  but I'm not spending a bunch of coin to not be happy with it.

9.6 comp EV27 mild head clean up.

Thanks for any input.
Cheers

choseneasy

Super trap is a good choice.
  I wouldn't worry about every last bit of power if you like the looks of a pipe.
I like 2 into 1 personally.

Adam76

Quote from: choseneasy on July 23, 2020, 05:40:29 PM
Super trap is a good choice.
  I wouldn't worry about every last bit of power if you like the looks of a pipe.
I like 2 into 1 personally.

Thanks, definitely not chasing entry last bit of power,  but also want something that works well with my combo.
Supertrapp not my favorite, too quiet unless I run an open end cap. Then they're not too bad at all.

JW113

And what is wrong with 2 into 2? THAT is the classic look for your bike. And will not hinder power one iota.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Adam76

Quote from: JW113 on July 23, 2020, 07:20:21 PM
And what is wrong with 2 into 2? THAT is the classic look for your bike. And will not hinder power one iota.

-JW

I guess nothing wrong at all with 2-2 just didn't know....

Can you suggest any 2-2 pipes?

Thanks JW

Hillside Motorcycle

A Supertrapp in the hands of a good dyno tuner is a fantastic pipe.
We have one on the shop mule Dyna......41 plates with where it wanted to be, with it's current engine configuration.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Adam76

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on July 24, 2020, 03:51:48 AM
We have one on the shop mule Dyna......41 plates with where it wanted to be, with it's current engine configuration.
Thanks Scott, have you any experience with them running an open end cap? Or does that take away their great tuning ability and advantage over other pipes?
I still like to hear a little bit of that heart beat if you know what I mean. I had one on a street bob many years ago, not a bad pipe.
Cheers

Adam76

Update :  Found that pipe is the Python 2-1..... Going to give that one a run at $430. I think it may even be made by V&H as a similar pipe to their Pro Pipe HS ?

Thanks for all the input.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Adam76 on July 24, 2020, 04:09:35 AM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on July 24, 2020, 03:51:48 AM
Thanks Scott, have you any experience with them running an open end cap? Or does that take away their great tuning ability and advantage over other pipes?
I still like to hear a little bit of that heart beat if you know what I mean. I had one on a street bob many years ago, not a bad pipe.
Cheers

Open end caps will allow the sound, but usually harm the low-mid you can build via using the plates.
A Supertrapp has a good sound IMHO.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Adam76

Thanks Scott, appreciate your comments on the pipe and the effects of the open end cap.  :up:

Hillside Motorcycle