May 05, 2024, 03:37:38 AM

News:

Stock HD Intake....

Started by WhipLash96, July 11, 2020, 03:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

Would you consider the stock air intake system on a 2016 FLS as (High Flow)?
Thanks,
Whip

rigidthumper

No- the FLS gets the standard flow AC. The FLSS (110 version) gets the hi flow.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

WhipLash96

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 12, 2020, 06:31:21 AM
No- the FLS gets the standard flow AC. The FLSS (110 version) gets the hi flow.

Thanks. A friend who I trust had told me that the stock unit was considered High Flow. I am soon going to be putting a cam and get a MAP done and the shop that I am using said that there is a high flow air intake system that fits under the stock cover. I was questioning this because of what my buddy told me... Any idea of what unit this shop may be talking about? :scratch:
Thanks,
Whip

fbn ent

July 12, 2020, 02:15:26 PM #3 Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:39:13 PM by fbn ent
Probably K&N....Big Sucker has one too as well as HD and others.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

The stock air filter on the Rushmore bikes starting in 2014 were a higher flowing system than the previous years, so I've been told.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

Seems to me Durwood did some dyno testing with the stock AC and said it was good for a mind build on the 2014+.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rigidthumper

The basic Screamin' Eagle air cleaner is a hi flow unit that fits under the stock cover, and the S&S stealth unit is another one. Look around, and you'll find a few companies that make hi flow AC units that fit under the stock cover.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Buglet

Only thing the with the S E  or S&S style air cleaner is 90% of the time the side of the bike get cover with oil unless you run separates vents. The other thing is you won't any gain anything until about 4000 and up which ends up being about 3 hp on top. This is what I found out and three that I did back to back testing. These were done on 2014- 2016 bikes.

Rusticwater

Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 11, 2020, 03:40:20 PM
Would you consider the stock air intake system on a 2016 FLS as (High Flow)?

A little history from the relevant model year technical forums.

For the 2014 model year Harley introduced a new, more powerful version of the 103 engine, the "High Output" 103, on the Touring bikes (Rushmore models). The HO 103 came in both air cooled and Twin-Cooled versions. Compared to the previous plain 103, the HO 103 air cooled variant had increased horsepower of 6.4% while the Twin-Cooled variant had increased horsepower of 10.6%.

The HO 103 featured a new "high flow" (per Harley) air box, which contributed 50% of the power increase.

For the 2016 model year the regular Softail line, including the FLS, got the HO 103 as standard equipment, however, as Rigidthumper pointed out the FLSS got the 110 engine which included a "stage 1 high flow round black air cleaner." That stage 1 aircleaner element is a different shape and uses a different backing plate than the HO 103 air box.

If it comes down to semantics I'd call them both high flow, with the stage 1 a higher flow. Here's a graph from page 38 of the 2016 SE catalog:

[attach=0]
Support the Maine lobster industry

WhipLash96

Ok, so then I should be able to leave the stock air cleaner on this bike for just a simple cam swap then? I mean literally, that's all I am going to do to the bike, well, of course a new tune. The bike has a Basanni Road Rage 2 and the Power Vision. :nix:
Thanks,
Whip

Hossamania

Once the bike has been tuned, do a final run with the air cleaner off to see if it is really hampering power. While this may open a small can of worms, it will let you know stand with that filter.

WhipLash96

This is the unit that the shop wants use. I'm sorry but I just don't see how that fits under the stock or inside the stock air box. :scratch: And I just don't think this necessary for just a cam swap either.
https://www.denniskirk.com/s-and-s-cycle/stealth-air-cleaner-170-0060.p187845.prd/187845.sku
Thanks,
Whip

PoorUB

Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 13, 2020, 12:19:17 PM
Ok, so then I should be able to leave the stock air cleaner on this bike for just a simple cam swap then? I mean literally, that's all I am going to do to the bike, well, of course a new tune. The bike has a Basanni Road Rage 2 and the Power Vision. :nix:

You can run the stock AC. You might lose a couple HP but you will never know unless you get if on a dyno an DC tune with both ACs.

Only you can decide what to do. I have a 2016 Limited with a gutted head pipe, stock AC, stock mufflers and CR 570-2 cams. I like the way it runs as is. Sure,  I am losing some HP with the stock exhaust and AC, but like the quiet.

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jaystn62

Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 13, 2020, 06:46:40 PM
This is the unit that the shop wants use. I'm sorry but I just don't see how that fits under the stock or inside the stock air box. :scratch: And I just don't think this necessary for just a cam swap either.
https://www.denniskirk.com/s-and-s-cycle/stealth-air-cleaner-170-0060.p187845.prd/187845.sku
These type of air cleaners like the SE on my bike only use the stock outer cover and the back side is open. It doesn't fit inside the stock air box if I am correct.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Hossamania on July 13, 2020, 02:08:14 PM
Once the bike has been tuned, do a final run with the air cleaner off to see if it is really hampering power. While this may open a small can of worms, it will let you know stand with that filter.

Yes.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

When you take the air cleaner off you probably see about a 3-5 hp gain at red line, so if you are a red line rider then it might be worth it for you. You should get it re tune to get the most out of it. And running red line you only using your 1-4 gears, that saves your 5-6 gears.   

Rusticwater

Just an FYI, that particular model is not for throttle by wire bikes, so it's not the correct one for your FLS.
Support the Maine lobster industry

WhipLash96

Quote from: Rusticwater on July 14, 2020, 10:29:24 AM

Just an FYI, that particular model is not for throttle by wire bikes, so it's not the correct one for your FLS.

I did notice that myself. I think I'm going to stay away from that set up, I just don't see the benefit for such a small gain in an rpm range I'm almost never in.
Thanks,
Whip

Hossamania

Quote from: Buglet on July 14, 2020, 05:13:51 AM
   When you take the air cleaner off you probably see about a 3-5 hp gain at red line, so if you are a red line rider then it might be worth it for you. You should get it re tune to get the most out of it. And running red line you only using your 1-4 gears, that saves your 5-6 gears.   

What I was trying to do was to find out if a stock filter holds it back in the low or especially mid range rpms, I wasn't too concerned about the very top of the rpm range for Whiplash. For me, yes, it might matter, because I do run my "hotrod" bike to redline often. If it means the difference between pulling out in front of my friends, and REALLY pulling out in front of my friends, well, I know which way I want to go. It's just my nature.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Hossamania on July 14, 2020, 12:48:31 PM
Quote from: Buglet on July 14, 2020, 05:13:51 AM

What I was trying to do was to find out if a stock filter holds it back in the low or especially mid range rpms, I wasn't too concerned about the very top of the rpm range for Whiplash. For me, yes, it might matter, because I do run my "hotrod" bike to redline often. If it means the difference between pulling out in front of my friends, and REALLY pulling out in front of my friends, well, I know which way I want to go. It's just my nature.
I get what you mean. If this were for my 124 I would just do it and not think twice. Spending $200 for a non noticable gain for a bike that I have no intention on making a max effort build just doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Thank You Everyone for your input. I decided to pass on the upgraded air intake system and leave it stock. I also decided that the cam that I am going to go with for this will be the S&S 551. It took me a lot to listen to shop on this one but I trust him so why not... Again, Thank You!
Thanks,
Whip

Ohio HD

Finn

I now have that S&S Stealth air cleaner on my 2016 103HO. I have the stock air cleaner cover on.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

WhipLash96

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 16, 2020, 01:29:56 PM
TTS100 over an S&S551 all day long. Earlier torque, and more of it.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,85261.msg964192.html#msg964192

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,85256.msg961103.html#msg961103

The TTS was in consideration early but because of the lack of information given, I decided to stay away from it. Also, the shop that I am using has a VERY VERY intimate knowledge of all things S&S. I decidd to out of my comfort zone and to trust the Builder/Tuner on which cam to use.... Well, sort of....
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Thanks for all the input folks. I did end up going with the SE backing plate and filter as an open element. It was not my intention as my wife told me no, but she didn't understand what I was talking about until I showed her. Thanks again. :smiled:
Thanks,
Whip