March 28, 2024, 12:51:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S Carb Specs

Started by WhipLash96, July 25, 2020, 08:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

Looking to go a different rout as far as Carb goes on my 124. Currently using the CV 51 but I want my cruise control back. I looked at the S&S site but they do not list the actual size (50mm, 52mm etc). Obviously I'm looking for a minimum of 51. Thanks!
Thanks,
Whip

Ohio HD

turboprop

Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 25, 2020, 08:38:53 AM
Looking to go a different rout as far as Carb goes on my 124. Currently using the CV 51 but I want my cruise control back. I looked at the S&S site but they do not list the actual size (50mm, 52mm etc). Obviously I'm looking for a minimum of 51. Thanks!

I am really interested in know more about your 124 with the CV51. As maya or may not be aware, I have a couple of TC124 engines in FXRs. The one in my blue bike is built with high speed touring in mind. It is currently equipped with a Mik48 with a pro back on a Super D intake. No issues but always looking for something better. In this case, better means improved gas mileage and even flatter AFR ratio.

FWIW - I have a Zippers G3 that I ran on my other TC124/FXR that is built for street racing. I didnt like the G3 as it never really ran right at cruise. WOT was perfect.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

JW113

I realize this is not what you are asking, but as a data point to take or leave, my 113" with CV51 typically gets 46mpg at a stead 75mph. I have not yet put the WEGO on it to try and optimize it more, which I'm sure could be done. I just don't ride it enough these days to bother with it. Have to say, I do love the CV51 though.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

turboprop

S&S certainly does list the sizes of their carb it is just not in your desired format. YOU will have to do the conversion yourself from inches to mm. Is this what you are looking for, someone to do the math for you?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

cheech

Per the S&S jetting instructions for the E and G carbs.
The Super E has a 1 7⁄8" (47.6mm) bore and 1 9⁄16" (39.6mm) venturi.
The Super G has a 2 1⁄16" (52.3mm) bore and 1 3⁄4" (44.5mm) venturi.

wfolarry

Call S&S. I bought a Super E for my bike a couple months ago & I had the option [no extra charge] of a bored out carb. I took the bored out one. m
Might be the same for the G. This isn't listed in their catalog or on their website so you'll have to call.

Deye76

None of the dealers I checked, offered a bored carb, I recently bought a G, and would have gone with a bored one. Should have called you first, Larry. Can you say what the cost difference was?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

Don't determine what you want or need based only on the size stamped on the carburetor.

This is a carburetor study that Mad Max did several years ago. It has a lot of very useful information.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,1242.0.html

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,1241.0.html

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,1238.0.html

sharkoilfield

Buddy's 2006 Road King came with carb/cruise. After 124 kit, we easily modded a 51CV for his cruise. I also ran the 51CV on my 103 FXDXT years ago. Parts must be unobtainable nowadays

WhipLash96

Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Quote from: turboprop on July 25, 2020, 10:01:44 AM

I am really interested in know more about your 124 with the CV51. As maya or may not be aware, I have a couple of TC124 engines in FXRs. The one in my blue bike is built with high speed touring in mind. It is currently equipped with a Mik48 with a pro back on a Super D intake. No issues but always looking for something better. In this case, better means improved gas mileage and even flatter AFR ratio.

FWIW - I have a Zippers G3 that I ran on my other TC124/FXR that is built for street racing. I didnt like the G3 as it never really ran right at cruise. WOT was perfect.

I Love the CV 51 for all of the reasons that you mention, I just really miss my CC.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Quote from: turboprop on July 25, 2020, 01:26:00 PM

S&S certainly does list the sizes of their carb it is just not in your desired format. YOU will have to do the conversion yourself from inches to mm. Is this what you are looking for, someone to do the math for you?
I agree, not used to how they state their specs but I was able to do the math. :smiled:
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Quote from: sharkoilfield on July 25, 2020, 07:59:07 PM
Buddy's 2006 Road King came with carb/cruise. After 124 kit, we easily modded a 51CV for his cruise. I also ran the 51CV on my 103 FXDXT years ago. Parts must be unobtainable nowadays

I am curios as to how you did this? When I bought the 51 that was my intention was to convert it to CC but then I was told by a friend whom I trust deeply that it couldn't be done. i had converted a 44 that wasn't cc compatible pretty easily. I figured I could do it the same way but was told no..
Thanks,
Whip

wfolarry

Quote from: Deye76 on July 25, 2020, 04:52:33 PM
None of the dealers I checked, offered a bored carb, I recently bought a G, and would have gone with a bored one. Should have called you first, Larry. Can you say what the cost difference was?
Quote from: wfolarry on July 25, 2020, 02:30:18 PM
Call S&S. I bought a Super E for my bike a couple months ago & I had the option [no extra charge] of a bored out carb. I took the bored out one. m
Might be the same for the G. This isn't listed in their catalog or on their website so you'll have to call.

jsachs1

If your carb jig lets your carb bore run true to the existing carb bore, you should be able to make a "G" carb bore 2 mm. larger.
John

[attach=0,msg1356432] 

WhipLash96

Quote from: wfolarry on July 26, 2020, 05:48:48 AM
Quote from: Deye76 on July 25, 2020, 04:52:33 PM
Quote from: wfolarry on July 25, 2020, 02:30:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up!
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Quote from: jsachs1 on July 27, 2020, 01:39:29 PM
If your carb jig lets your carb bore run true to the existing carb bore, you should be able to make a "G" carb bore 2 mm. larger.
John

[attach=0,msg1356432]

How much does boring that slow down the velocity of an S&S carb?
Thanks,
Whip

Admiral Akbar

July 27, 2020, 08:49:21 PM #18 Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:02:05 AM by Admiral Akbar
Velocity through the venturi will drop by the difference in area of the venturi assuming same flow. Flow = velocity times area.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on July 27, 2020, 08:49:21 PM
Velocity through the venturi will drop by the difference in area of the venturi assuming same flow. Flow = velocity times area.

Thank You Sir!
Thanks,
Whip

98fxstc

Its not quite this simple is it Max?
Velocity of flow is a gradient reducing radially from the centre to the outside walls due to friction at the wall
Frictional losses are linearly related to the diameter while area increases with the square of the diameter
So there would be slightly increased flow with increase in diameter ? 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 98fxstc on August 02, 2020, 05:35:16 PM

Velocity of flow is a gradient reducing radially from the centre to the outside walls due to friction at the wall
Frictional losses are linearly related to the diameter while area increases with the square of the diameter

It never is unless you want to go to the 27th order of flow. but the formula is still valid except I probably should have written "average velocity" instead of "velocity".

Surface fiction does not make that much difference since flow gradient drops off quickly.  Instead of comparing the measured diameter it is probably worthwhile to compare diameters - a say measured minus 0.020" when calculating the effective area.  If using a knife edge orifice, surface friction drops to 0.

98fxstc

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on August 03, 2020, 07:41:18 PM
Quote from: 98fxstc on August 02, 2020, 05:35:16 PM

It never is unless you want to go to the 27th order of flow. but the formula is still valid except I probably should have written "average velocity" instead of "velocity".

Surface fiction does not make that much difference since flow gradient drops off quickly.  Instead of comparing the measured diameter it is probably worthwhile to compare diameters - a say measured minus 0.020" when calculating the effective area.  If using a knife edge orifice, surface friction drops to 0.

Thankyou Max
your carbie flow test results were referenced again recently
Apart from looking at different brands and sizes , did you look at flow with diameter increase in a particular carbie ?

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 98fxstc on August 03, 2020, 09:16:44 PM

Thankyou Max
Apart from looking at different brands and sizes , did you look at flow with diameter increase in a particular carbie ?

I have.. A good one to look at is to compare the 42 / 45 / 48 mikunis.  All the info is in the flow tests.

98fxstc

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on August 05, 2020, 05:08:51 PM
Quote from: 98fxstc on August 03, 2020, 09:16:44 PM

Thankyou Max

I have.. A good one to look at is to compare the 42 / 45 / 48 mikunis.  All the info is in the flow tests.

Thankyou