March 28, 2024, 08:36:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Why won't idle come down

Started by 96flhpi, July 14, 2020, 06:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

96flhpi

Well the moral of this story is you get what you pay for.  It turns out the advance issue was the cheap ~ 10 for $8 springs from Mid-USA.  Kept changing springs on the same advance unit and eventually found 2 of the 10 where it was much better but not totally gone, ordered the ridiculously overpriced $25 for 2 spring set from V-Twin and high idle problem is gone completely.  Irony is the V-Twin set is of course also from Taiwan.  Definitely a different manufacturer though - the "V" that goes through the weights is more of a "U".

All other problems were my own doing - ie, not noticing I had pinched the ignition wire behind the points plate during my many advance swaps and one CV carb having its own separate issue.  It's not the diaphragm - I only have one slide that's been getting swapped and it's totally fine in the current CV.  I'm fairly sure a passage is blocked, when I spray cleaner into the little brass passages in the throat a LOT more comes out of the slow jet on the good carb then on the bad.  Guess I'll look into that ultrasonic tank.

Thanks all for the help!!

motorplex88

kd

It's never helpful when seemingly one Problem arises and it turns into more than one issue causing it.
KD

JW113

Reply #2.
:hyst:

Glad you figured it out.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

96flhpi

Quote from: JW113 on July 26, 2020, 10:38:04 AM
Reply #2.
:hyst: