News:

My first ring gear

Started by les, July 15, 2020, 07:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

Quote from: klammer76 on July 22, 2020, 02:00:00 PM
Quote from: les on July 21, 2020, 02:41:13 PM
I just received the Barnett clutch basket.  The instructions say:

"Center punch rivets in old basket.  Then drill the head of the rivets with a 1/4" diameter drill bit.  Then using a hammer and chisel knock off the rivet heads.  Use a punch to drive the rivet body out of the basket."
That is the way I did mine. Red loc-Tite on the bolts when putting back together. TQ to spec.

I was thinking blue, but after what you said I'm going to use red.  Thanks.  Much smarter choice.

jmorton10

Quote from: les on July 23, 2020, 06:52:58 AM

I was thinking blue, but after what you said I'm going to use red.  Thanks.  Much smarter choice.

Always red on those bolts.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

les

I guess after 110K miles, it was time to refresh the clutch basket.  The process of drilling with a 1/4" drill and shaving off the rivet heads with a chisel was easier than I thought it would be.  Using a sharpened chisel, I was surprised how soft the rivets are.  It cut right through them.

Yes, I used red loctite on the bolts.  Again, thanks for that tip.

Just to note, that I've started teaching my son how to work on Harleys.  This was his first big job.  He actually center punched the rivets, drilled them out on the drill press, and knocked out the rivets with a punch.  He also used the drill press to drill out the ring gear holes with the 3/8" bit.  Finally, I did another first, which was the Darkhorse comp.  So, he also got to see an SE comp and how it works, then see the Darkhorse comp.  He asked, "How does it absorb shock?"  We had to go to a picture of the rubber plugs because I didn't want to take it apart (they paint the four screws).  So, guys?  You proud of him?  I am. 

Oh, and he let me do at least one of the rivets...just so I'd get hand on experience too.  Good son.  lol

les

RESULTS:

To recap, new Barnett clutch basket and Kevlar stack, new hub and pressure plate, and [first time] Darkhorse comp.

No more whiplash when putting it into first, and no more KLUNK!
No more lurching when letting out the clutch in first
No more KLUNK when shifting between gears, just normal shift click
No more struggling to sometimes find neutral
No more whiplash when feathering the throttle at 40mph because of an SE comp lashing back and forth
No more KLUNK sound from the comp

I'm learning how to ride my bike all over again.

Jaystn62

Quote from: les on July 31, 2020, 07:35:39 PM
RESULTS:

To recap, new Barnett clutch basket and Kevlar stack, new hub and pressure plate, and [first time] Darkhorse comp.

No more whiplash when putting it into first, and no more KLUNK!
No more lurching when letting out the clutch in first
No more KLUNK when shifting between gears, just normal shift click
No more struggling to sometimes find neutral
No more whiplash when feathering the throttle at 40mph because of an SE comp lashing back and forth
No more KLUNK sound from the comp

I'm learning how to ride my bike all over again.
Sounds great. Can you tell me what clutch pack and pressure plate you are using? I didn't see it in previous post.

les

Barnett Performance Products Extra Plate Clutch Kit - Kevlar 307-30-10013
Barnett Performance Products Scorpion Billet Clutch Basket 321-30-02012
New stock OEM Harley pressure plate
New stock OEM clutch hub
SE spring and SE VPC (reused)

Jaystn62

Quote from: les on August 01, 2020, 06:43:39 AM
Barnett Performance Products Extra Plate Clutch Kit - Kevlar 307-30-10013
Barnett Performance Products Scorpion Billet Clutch Basket 321-30-02012
New stock OEM Harley pressure plate
New stock OEM clutch hub