March 29, 2024, 12:53:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Throttle Return Spring?

Started by crowgo, July 31, 2020, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowgo

2020 FLTRK, Stage 1 and Mufflers, otherwise stock.  Does anyone know whether or not the return tension on the throttle grip can be adjusted? This is becoming a problem which I've never had before causing cramping in my hand.  I know, use the cruise, but the truth is it can't be used 100% of the time.  My 2015 FLHTKL, also throttle by wire, doesn't  seem to have as much tension on it and has never caused this problem.  Any advice is appreciated.
20FLTRK,15FLHTKL,05FXSTSI,02FLHTCUI
12000MI 37000MI  76000 MI   184000MI

rigidthumper

Return spring is internal to the twist grip, and non adjustable. Maybe just needs to break in? I suppose you could buy a used unit, but since the part numbers are the same 2015-present (32700050A) no guarantee it would feel the same as your 2015.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Tynker

Quote from: crowgo on July 31, 2020, 11:19:59 PM
2020 FLTRK, Stage 1 and Mufflers, otherwise stock.  Does anyone know whether or not the return tension on the throttle grip can be adjusted? This is becoming a problem which I've never had before causing cramping in my hand.  I know, use the cruise, but the truth is it can't be used 100% of the time.  My 2015 FLHTKL, also throttle by wire, doesn't  seem to have as much tension on it and has never caused this problem.  Any advice is appreciated.

You might try pulling the grip away from the end of the bar,a little. It might just be binding on the end of the handlebar.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

crowgo

THX tynker, will check it out tomorrow.
20FLTRK,15FLHTKL,05FXSTSI,02FLHTCUI
12000MI 37000MI  76000 MI   184000MI

ultrafxr

Here's what I sometimes do when I can't use the cruise control as I normally would.  I set the cruise control somewhat lower then the speed I intend to ride (maybe 5 mph or so) and then use the throttle to bring my speed up to where I want it.  It takes less effort on the throttle but don't forget that when you let off the throttle cruise is still engaged at a lower speed!

WhipLash96

Quote from: Tynker on August 01, 2020, 04:53:49 AM
Quote from: crowgo on July 31, 2020, 11:19:59 PM

You might try pulling the grip away from the end of the bar,a little. It might just be binding on the end of the handlebar.
I had just experienced this with my Slim. I just changed the bars on it and the TBW housing isn't sitting square to the end of the bar. This was causing the grip to run on the part that is off center. I just used a dremal and shaved it where it was Proud. problem fixed. :smiled:
Thanks,
Whip

Hossamania

I also had a set of bars that were not square, had to do the same.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

harpwrench

The twist grip sensor can also drag internally, I've replaced a couple on my bikes, one was still under warranty

cheech

Be sure the switch housing is not dragging on the grip itself. They have that what I call a retention flange. So if the switch housing is pulled too far away from the grip (towards the center of the bike) while it gets tightened it will drag.