March 28, 2024, 04:40:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Tune Check

Started by Helmwurst, July 18, 2020, 04:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helmwurst

I have a 2017 RG Special with Red Shift upgrade and related internals. Had it dyno tuned right after with Power Vision. Here is my issue, sometimes the idle gets a little erratic and really starts to lope and basically is not consistent from one day to another. Can I plug in my tuner and compare what was loaded from the tuner to what is in the ECM? I am wondering if the ECM has changed some of the tune parameters and causing this. Also side note, sometimes when I shut it down after a ride, especially after parking in the garage, it smells very rich. And no I have not pulled any plugs yet to see what they look like.

Nastytls

Instead of guessing, bring it back to the tuner and tell them it isn't running right.

Helmwurst

Quote from: Nastytls on July 18, 2020, 07:42:14 AM
Instead of guessing, bring it back to the tuner and tell them it isn't running right.
Planning on it, but he is also 140 miles away. Thought I would just take a peek and see if there is something obvious first. Thanks for the input.

PoorUB

140 miles away? Pretty close by. Good excuse for a ride. :bike:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Sunny Jim

If you are stuck You could always carry out a basic auto tune to evaluate any changes. You can log any data. Do you have access to HD megalog viewer?

rigidthumper

Reset fuel trim- if idle goes back to normal, then take the idle area out of closed loop, and save that map under a new name, and flash it in. Test ride to ensure everything else works like it's supposed to.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Helmwurst

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 19, 2020, 08:35:21 AM
Reset fuel trim- if idle goes back to normal, then take the idle area out of closed loop, and save that map under a new name, and flash it in. Test ride to ensure everything else works like it's supposed to.
Finally got to this, reset fuel trim, but could not find idle area in the closed loop section of the tune. Does it have a specific name?

kd

:scratch:  In 17 days I think I would have found a few hours to visit the tuner for a little "warranty" check.  Give him an opportunity to fix it.
KD

rigidthumper

August 04, 2020, 06:21:22 AM #8 Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:25:08 AM by Coyote
Bold numbers in the AFR desired table indicate closed loop (usually 14.4-14.9). Look at your Idle RPM table, for set warm idle (205° and above) speed-should be somewhere between 800-1000 RPM.  Then look at your data logs, and check what MAP values are with no throttle input @ warm idle.  (3-5% TP, >205°)  Should idle somewhere around 30-45 KPA MAP value. Take that value to the AFR desired table, and adjust the same area on that table. If your idle is 1000 RPM from 38-42 KPA, then set that area of the AFR table to something less than (richer than) 14.3.
First shot is map as received, second is as edited, third is how most do it, just so the entire possible idle area is open loop:

[attach=0,msg1357195]

[attach=1,msg1357195]

[attach=2,msg1357195]
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

harpwrench

I'd check for an intake leak

scotman623

And make sure all 4 of the header nuts are tight...
Always look forward...