September 20, 2024, 06:23:26 PM

News:

alternator to replace generator

Started by roadkingdresser, September 09, 2024, 01:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Got an alternator & new regulator to replace a generator on an old SHOVELHEAD. The only directions I can find tell me how to wire it to the battery and to the Alternator, but nothing about where to run the light wire on the dash for charging. Any ideas?
roadkingdresser

Deye76

Is it one of those V-Twin Mfg. ones that replace the generator?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

kd

The charge light (more correctly the battery light) works with opposing voltage.  With equal opposing voltage to each feed to the bulb, no current flows and the bulb filament stays off. One feed usually comes from the ignition switch terminal that is hot when in the on / run position.  The other feed comes from the alternator positive battery terminal.  Again, when both feed equal voltage pressure no current moves to activate the bulb.  If the charge is reduced in comparison to the battery level the current flows from the battery and activates the bulb Filament.  Also vice versa if it is charging but the battery is low the current reverses direction and similarly activates the bulb filament. 

It is important to know what posts you have and how many to determine which to use in conjunction with the ignition on terminal. If you aren't clear on what you have a Google search for alternator charge or battery light wiring.  Several different wiring options will be available depending on the style you have.
KD

Deye76

I hope it works out for you, if it doesn't your best bet is a generator from Cycle Electric.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

roadkingdresser

I replaced the generator on my 66 flh years ago and never had a problem with it. Hopefully the same goes with this one. t's been so long ago I can't remember how I wired the dash light in.
roadkingdresser