March 28, 2024, 03:07:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Friend's Sportster

Started by bump, August 05, 2020, 07:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bump

A friend of mine asked me to look at his 2000 Sportster.

It is a 2000 XLH 883 upped to 1200. Stock air cleaner and stock pipes. 11000 miles on speedo.
It had 45 mid range jet in carb.

It would start miss and stumble when open the throttle. Pulled carb and cleaned it up. Found the carb to manifold seal was torn and the oring on idle mix screw was broken. Replaced seals and still have some stumble on acceleration .

How do I get the codes if any are present. My 02 FLHTCI you can jump 2 pins and can get the codes.    He doesn't have a manual and I am not sure how to get codes.

Hossamania

Keep checking for vacuum leaks. The petcock has a vacuum line that gets brittle, the intake manifold to head gaskets get brittle. The VOES (if equipped) has a vacuum line that gets brittle. Also, did you look closely at the diaphragm, checking for rips or holes, while the carb was apart? I would also consider putting in a new accelerator pump in the carb, it is also a diaphragm that wears out.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

bump

Hoss I went through the carb everything is clean and only found the oring on idle mix screw was broken. Check all the hoses and such. accelerator pump is good delivering a good squirt.
Could it be in coil or plug wires? Put in new plugs. Runs better but still not quite right.

Hossamania

It could be plug wires, I don't think a new set of oem wires cost too much, though I haven't purchased them in years. Also the coil can crack, causing issues. Not sure of the setup, but chrome covers on the coil can cause problems.
Have you sprayed some carb cleaner around all the gaskets and hoses looking for vacuum leaks?
Has he had this problem thru a few tanks of fuel? Maybe try fuel from a different station.

bump

Running down road when you give gas it spits and sputters like too much fuel. If you give it gas a little it will pickup speed slowly. Gonna check accel pump, maybe putting too much in when snapped open.

Tynker

You might want to check the "choke" needle, and make sure it seats right.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Panzer

Try at idle or 1/8th throttle and spray WD40 around the intake seals, see if you get any RPM change.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

bump

Found the choke needle about clogged and put some lithium grease on intake to manifold seal. Changed the hose from voes to petcock it was brittle where it hooked to voes. Started it up and ran about 20 miles then it just quit. Cranked it over for a bit but nothing. Was about to call for help when I changed petcock to reserve. Damn Sportster only has 2.5 gal tank. Filled tank and it is running good.

Hossamania

Glad you got it running better. A couple little things cause big problems.
Funny about running out of gas, I've seen that get misdiagnosed many times, often with some teardown trying to find the issue. "It couldn't possibly be out of gas!"
I actually stopped to help a guy and his daughter (even though he was on a BMW...), said it quit running while coming up the hill, it would start, but no throttle, I said it sounds out of fuel, he didn't think so, filled it up last ride, two months ago.
You guessed it, fuel. A valuable lesson learned for him.

bump

After I switched petcock to reserve I went to gas station and put 2.5 gals in 2.7 tank. Haven't heard from friend yet but told him to call me if he had any problems.

Appowner

Even with two gas gauges on my 08 Softail, I still reset a trip meter to zero when I gas up and keep an eye on it.  Been caught by the reserve one too many times.