March 28, 2024, 09:45:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Speakers

Started by dwjohnson, August 07, 2020, 12:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

Quote from: Nebraskarider1 on August 25, 2020, 04:12:47 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on August 25, 2020, 05:40:51 AM
When comparing the speakers between the Ultra and the RoadGlide, many have complained that apples to apples the RG does not sound as good as the Ultra, so the difference you hear between speaker brands may not be completely due to the speakers themselves.

These are the ones in the RG and the Ultra just has stock size HD Boom speakers, one would think these would be better since bigger and 3-way but even parked they sound kinda tinny, just not as clean as the HD Boom speakers, Maybe an amp would help but I'll probably replace them with the HD speakers first, wish i knew who made them for HD so I didn't have to pay the HD "brand tax"

https://jmcorp.com/JM-ROKKER%C2%AE-XXR-671-Fairing-Speaker-Kit-wGrill-Mounted-TweeterMidrange-for-1998-2013-Harley%C2%AE-RoadGlide_p_314.html

An amp probably would help them to push more bass and balance the high.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

travelingypsye

To the OP, please don't waste your money on J&M junk. There are far better options out there. Yea the boom will sound better than the J&M 7.1's without an amp because those 7.1's are designed to run with an amp and are 4 ohm vs. 2 ohm on the boom speakers.

Also that dual amp is light on power and as previously mentioned have no high input connections so to be able to use it, you will need a pac 10 converter to go from high input (wires coming out of the radio) to low inputs (rca connectors), send your radio to iron cross for a low input conversion or just replace your HU with aftermarket. 

As far as speakers goes, the first thing you will need is a 5.25 to 6.5 speaker adaptor. These will work.

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-82-9601-Speaker-1998-2013-Davidson/dp/B00JKXSJTM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=4ONXEIVZJYT1&dchild=1&keywords=5.25+to+6.5+speaker+adapter&qid=1598631767&s=electronics&sprefix=5.25+to+6.5+%2Celectronics%2C202&sr=1-3

Then look into 6.5 4 ohm speakers. MMats pa 601cx are damn good for the price. They dont need alot of power, have great SQ along with volume and bang for your buck when it comes to price. Also hertz hcx, cpx are also damn good but are a bit more. The hcx have been discontinued but can still be had on the net. I personally dont like the hertx mps 6.5's as they have a center throw tweeter that can just hurt your ears with screaming highs after an hour or so at higher volume.

As far as amps go, a stinger spx700x4 has superb SQ and wont interfere with fm reception. The mmats 4110 is also a good amp but can mess with fm. 

You will need an amp wire kit to power the amp. Be sure to get a kit that runs the ground wire back to the battery. Do not ground the amp to the frame as that can cause mysterious noise from your setup depending on where you ground it.

If you are going to spend your hard earned $$ on an upgraded sound system do it right the first time and be done with it.

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: travelingypsye on August 28, 2020, 09:36:05 AM
To the OP, please don't waste your money on J&M junk. There are far better options out there. Yea the boom will sound better than the J&M 7.1's without an amp because those 7.1's are designed to run with an amp and are 4 ohm vs. 2 ohm on the boom speakers.

Also that dual amp is light on power and as previously mentioned have no high input connections so to be able to use it, you will need a pac 10 converter to go from high input (wires coming out of the radio) to low inputs (rca connectors), send your radio to iron cross for a low input conversion or just replace your HU with aftermarket. 

As far as speakers goes, the first thing you will need is a 5.25 to 6.5 speaker adaptor. These will work.

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-82-9601-Speaker-1998-2013-Davidson/dp/B00JKXSJTM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=4ONXEIVZJYT1&dchild=1&keywords=5.25+to+6.5+speaker+adapter&qid=1598631767&s=electronics&sprefix=5.25+to+6.5+%2Celectronics%2C202&sr=1-3

Then look into 6.5 4 ohm speakers. MMats pa 601cx are damn good for the price. They dont need alot of power, have great SQ along with volume and bang for your buck when it comes to price. Also hertz hcx, cpx are also damn good but are a bit more. The hcx have been discontinued but can still be had on the net. I personally dont like the hertx mps 6.5's as they have a center throw tweeter that can just hurt your ears with screaming highs after an hour or so at higher volume.

As far as amps go, a stinger spx700x4 has superb SQ and wont interfere with fm reception. The mmats 4110 is also a good amp but can mess with fm. 

You will need an amp wire kit to power the amp. Be sure to get a kit that runs the ground wire back to the battery. Do not ground the amp to the frame as that can cause mysterious noise from your setup depending on where you ground it.

If you are going to spend your hard earned $$ on an upgraded sound system do it right the first time and be done with it.

The J&Ms I have say they are 2ohm, I didn't put them in the RG, the previous owner did, but I have to agree with you they are junk. Funny thing, the previous owner own a record company,(American Gramophone) so one would have thought he would have demanded a little better sound.  :hyst: :hyst: