March 28, 2024, 04:37:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Too much oil in crankcase

Started by catfish, August 08, 2020, 12:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfish

I have a 1996 fuel injected FLHTC.  I serviced the bike, engine oil change plus filter, 4 qts. oil, added oil to the primary to bring the oil to the bottom of the clutch inspection cover, which required about 1/2 to 3/4 qts. of oil, bike upright not on kick stand.  Left for a one week ride and 30 miles from home the dipstick blew out oil everywhere, crankcase was over full.  Drained some oil out of the crankcase and took off.  Later that day, it happened again.  Laying along side the road drained some more oil out.  Next morning with the bike cold drained oil out to full cold mark on dipstick and from then on it was OK.  Logged 1500 miles, mostly 45 to 50 mph.  But on the big roads 80 mph.  Bike sounds fine, couldn't figure where the excess oil is coming from.  Got home opened the clutch inspection cover and the primary is very low.  Looks like it would hold 1/2 to 3/4 qts. of oil again.  I would estimate I ran between 1/2 and 3/4 qts. of oil on the ground.  Can oil move between the primary and the engine crankcase?  Bike has no leaks, doesn't smoke.  I stopped at a HD shop and they said I should have only used 3.5 qts. of oil.  But that doesn't explain where the primary oil went to.  I use the HD synthetic oil in all three cases.  Am I over filling the primary?  Any help would be appreciated.

MikeL

your pulling oil from the primary. Engine crankshaft seal is bad. Primary holds about a qt. Engine 3.5 with filter. Engine seals go bad 24yrs. 12026B is the seal part number

MIKE

JW113

"added oil to the primary to bring the oil to the bottom of the clutch inspection cover"

Whoa, hold on there. Please explain that. To the bottom of the inspection cover? My definition of Inspection Cover is that round thing on the side of the outer primary housing you take off to inspect the clutch.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

PoorUB

Inspection cover versus derby cover.
Back when every bike had a manual primary chain adjuster there was a second cover to deal with the adjustment.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

catfish

Yes, I filled the primary housing so it would not run out of the round clutch inspection cover.  Too much?

kd

Fill until the oil just reaches (but does not cover) the lip of the clutch basket when the bike is upright.  Less can be OK but more is not.
KD

catfish

I will try refilling with less oil.  I have to go to Indiana tomorrow, 180 miles, and see what happens to the oil levels, or if I get sprayed.  Thanks for the info so far.  The primary still had some oil in it.  I assumed as long as there is some oil for splashing around I should be OK.  My main concern was the overfilled crankcase.  Thanks

xlfan

Did you warm up the engine before draining the engine oil when you first serviced?

I guess it was the oil pan you drained surplus oil from? Not the crankcase?

catfish

I am aware of only one place to drain oil from on this bike, and I would call it the engine oil drain plug on the oil pan.  There is another plug close by to drain the trans. The trans plug points towards the ground and the engine plug points toward the front of the bike.  I just got back from a short ride and drained the oil.  A plastic gallon jug fits nicely under the bike and when done draining it is nearly full, could not add a 1/2 qt.

Racepres

Quote from: catfish on August 09, 2020, 02:10:01 PM
I am aware of only one place to drain oil from on this bike, and I would call it the engine oil drain plug on the oil pan.  There is another plug close by to drain the trans. The trans plug points towards the ground and the engine plug points toward the front of the bike.  I just got back from a short ride and drained the oil.  A plastic gallon jug fits nicely under the bike and when done draining it is nearly full, could not add a 1/2 qt.
May I suggest a H-D service manual...and at least google Dry Sump oil System!!!

catfish

I have been using a Clymer HD manual.  My terminology was wrong by saying crankcase.  I should have said too much oil in the oil pan.  I never did anything with the crankcase.

kd

May I suggest that if you are keeping the bike, ditch the Clymer Manual.  The OEM is FAR superior.
KD

hbkeith

sounds like you overfilled everything

FSG

Quote from: kd on August 09, 2020, 06:27:49 PM
May I suggest that if you are keeping the bike, ditch the Clymer Manual.  The OEM is FAR superior.

+ 1000   :up:   :SM:

kd you win todays internet   :SM:

JohnnyCashPan

I just fought this battle with mine.  Oil showed over filled, primary low.  Used correct amount in both per OEM service manual.  Changed oil and filter (looked darker/dirtier than usual, 2500-300 mile interval).
Oil would still show almost to the top of the dipstick after a 20-30 mile run, primary low again..
I had changed out my rotor/stator a week or two earlier and re-used the 2 screws holding the where the stator wire went out the engine case.  They had backed out.  Replaced with new screws.  Did another oil change.  Did about 200 miles afterwards; oil level is still where it's suppose to be.
Old, slow and fat...

catfish

Just a follow up and Thanks.  I added about 10 ozs. of oil to the primary which got it up to the clutch basket with the bike upright.  Engine oil OK.  Went to Indiana, about 180 miles mostly interstate.  No problem with excess oil in the oil pan.  I got back home and I added 6ozs. back to the primary to bring it up to the clutch basket, engine oil level still OK.  I'm a little concerned about having to add oil to the primary, but am glad the engine oil pan is not over filling.  So I plan to watch it and see what happens.  Thanks again.

JW113

So where do you think this oil is going? Is there any visible signs of oil leaks around the gasket, or the seals?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

catfish

No visible oil leaks.  Maybe the oil in the primary didn't run to the front of the primary when I filled be fore the Indiana trip.  The bike is lowered in the back because of my short legs.  I have 1200 miles to go on this oil change.  When I change engine oil I will drain the primary to see how much oil is in it and remove the cover.  Last summer on a trip the stator went out and had to be replaced.  Because of another post I will examine that also.  I plan on doing some more riding and keep checking the oil levels.  That's all I got.

JohnnyCashPan

Old, slow and fat...